Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

please help a newbie!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 MarcWi

MarcWi

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 07:03 AM

My wife just picked me up a new home theater receiver which I'll be getting for my birthday next month. It was a real good open box deal. Anyway, its 100 watts per channel. (A pioneer vsx-d811s). I was planning on hooking it up to my current speakers from an older surround sound package and then eventually picking up new speakers. I noticed that the speakers are rated with a maximum input well below 100 watts per channel. Am I correct that as long as I dont crank the sound, I should still be okay? I dont really need loud volume, I was shooting for clarity, seperation, and the ability to play the new DTS, etc. formats.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

#2 of 3 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 07:21 AM

You should be fine; there's a bit of a fudge factor built into those power-handling claims by the speaker manufacturers. Don't go crazy with the volume control, and you'll be okay.

#3 of 3 MarcWi

MarcWi

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 07:46 AM

Much appreciated!Posted Image