What's new

Help Needed. Second hand speakers (2 Viewers)

johnnybravo87

Auditioning
Real Name
Johnny
Hi everyone,

I am after a bit of help, i currently have a denon 2309 7.1 avr which is working pretty well and i am happy with.

I am currently using a budget Eltax jupiter speaker system which i have had for about 8 years. (2x tower, 1x center, 2x small bookshelf). Teamed up with a B&W AS2 subwoofer

I want to get better sound and on a very tight budget and have currently come across a set of 4 Mordaunt Short Avant MS902 bookshelf speakers for £70.00

I have noticed a star shape in the cone of the driver, they work well but is this natural with this speaker or anything to worry about? (picture attached)

Can anyone please give me an idea of the quality of these speakers and if they are any good with denon?

Also would i notice an improvement for movies against the budget Eltax set i have been using?

Any help would be appreciated as well as any other pointers and tips.

Thankyou

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210806-094423_Shpock.jpg
    Screenshot_20210806-094423_Shpock.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 85

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ve never heard of Eltax and can’t find any info, which kind of makes me wonder if they are a “white van” speaker. They also appear the be exclusively European, and there are several speaker brands which simply don’t ever make the trip stateside.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the MS are just a better sounding speaker, assuming they aren’t damaged. Sorry I can’t provide a more definitive answer.

johnnybravo87

Auditioning
Real Name
Johnny
I’ve never heard of Eltax and can’t find any info, which kind of makes me wonder if they are a “white van” speaker. They also appear the be exclusively European, and there are several speaker brands which simply don’t ever make the trip stateside.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the MS are just a better sounding speaker, assuming they aren’t damaged. Sorry I can’t provide a more definitive answer.
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I think i may take the plunge and buy the 4 x mordaunt short speakers. I know they are rather old speakers so i sure hope that does not matter.

Does anyone here have any experience with the MS902 AVANT speakers?? That could possibly give me an idea of how good they actually are as main L&R and Surround.

Again thankyou, any input is helpful input for me at the moment

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems like a very good deal if they're not damaged...

Probably not gonna easily find anything equal or better for that kind of $... except for that potential issue w/ the woofers (and maybe whatever damage) perhaps. Can you get a guarantee they're not damaged and are in very good working condition?

I don't know much of anything about Mordaunt speakers either, but I do seem to recall they're likely pretty good at least at entry level for budget-minded audiophiles a decade or two ago -- and that brief WhatHiFi review and list of AudioReview owner commentary/reviews I quickly found indicate just that.

_Man_

johnnybravo87

Auditioning
Real Name
Johnny
Seems like a very good deal if they're not damaged...

Probably not gonna easily find anything equal or better for that kind of $... except for that potential issue w/ the woofers (and maybe whatever damage) perhaps. Can you get a guarantee they're not damaged and are in very good working condition?

I don't know much of anything about Mordaunt speakers either, but I do seem to recall they're likely pretty good at least at entry level for budget-minded audiophiles a decade or two ago -- and that brief WhatHiFi review and list of AudioReview owner commentary/reviews I quickly found indicate just that.

_Man_
Hi _Man_ Thanks for your valuable input.

I cant get a guarantee expect for the word from the woman selling them that they are perfect working order and only selling due to upgrading so will have to take her word on it and keep the fingers crossed.

The reviews and the links you shared make them look promising, cheers for that 👍.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I cant get a guarantee expect for the word from the woman selling them that they are perfect working order and only selling due to upgrading so will have to take her word on it and keep the fingers crossed.
How proximal are you to the seller? Buying speakers without auditioning them first is a big gamble. Even if they are mechanically sound, you may not be satisfied with their overall performance. Also, if they are shipped to you any damage can be blamed on the carrier and good luck getting anywhere with that sort of claim. Trust me, I just went through a terrible ordeal with UPS.

Not trying to discourage you but, if at all practical, I would recommend local pickup or a written guarantee at a minimum.

johnnybravo87

Auditioning
Real Name
Johnny
How proximal are you to the seller? Buying speakers without auditioning them first is a big gamble. Even if they are mechanically sound, you may not be satisfied with their overall performance. Also, if they are shipped to you any damage can be blamed on the carrier and good luck getting anywhere with that sort of claim. Trust me, I just went through a terrible ordeal with UPS.

Not trying to discourage you but, if at all practical, I would recommend local pickup or a written guarantee at a minimum.
Hey John,

Thanks for chiming in to help me out, really appreciate it.

Infact the seller i will be collecting in person from there home address but has sold the amp already to a different person and these speakers to me.. and is awaiting delivery of the new amp in 5 days or so..

Wont be using a courier but i guess at least i know the home address if anything.

me and wife just love movies and recently decorated my living room and put my new projector screen up and just want a better detail to the sound and these cheap eltax brand i am using now just dont give me detail. So hoping the Mordaunt Short 902 will give me a little better providing they are working ok of course.

Thanks again man, appreciate it alot 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks