Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a new TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 01:00 AM

I am looking to buy a new TV, budget is about $1500 - $2500. Has to be widescreen and HD capable. I have never bought a rear projection TV so I could use some insight. My living room in on the small side (I sit about 7 feet from the TV) so I am a bit concerned that the picture might seem "grainy".

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 05:45 PM

I have the Hitachi 57"uwx. I sit about 8 to 10 feet away. Picture is good but I really need a hd receiver to get best picture. I like the hitachi brand tv.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 05:32 AM

Try taking a look at something in the low-to-mid-40" range. If you need decent PQ for regular TV viewing and can't/won't be getting HD broadcasts for that, then you might be better off w/ a >=30" direct-view.

Not sure why it has to be widescreen since you didn't explain. Do you plan to move in the forseeable future, eg. w/in 2-3 years? If so, you might consider spending less now and waiting til you move to get something better and bigger. It all depends on what your situation really is and what you must have now.

And then, in the end, PQ and "right size" are subjective and depends on you. Go do some shopping and see what works and what doesn't for you.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   JimC_A

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 08:03 AM

I like my Toshiba 50H82. I have zero complaints with picutre quality for dvd's and hdtv. I only have HD HBO via a digital TimeWarner connection. If you aren't going to change houses soon, I'd get the 50". If you plan on moving, like we are in three or four months, check out the 57H82. I wish I had the 57" or 65", since I'll be sitting further away when we move. Maybe I can give the 50" to the boys for their gameroom and I can get a new one.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 09:01 AM

Quote:
Not sure why it has to be widescreen since you didn't explain

I watch a lot of movies but the majority of viewing is TV. I would rather have a widescreen set for movies and adjust the picture of regular TV to fit widescreen. Plus my cable company offers a few HD channels. I want something between 42-50 inches. Want I really want to know is what brands are good?

I have been looking at 2 Panaosonics and 2 Mitsubishi's. I also want to look at some Hitachi's and Toshiba's.

Quote:
If you need decent PQ for regular TV viewing and can't/won't be getting HD broadcasts for that, then you might be better off w/ a >=30" direct-view.

I have a 36" direct view now but want something bigger and HD capable.

Forum Nav Content I Follow