Looking for a new TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew Pezzo, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I am looking to buy a new TV, budget is about $1500 - $2500. Has to be widescreen and HD capable. I have never bought a rear projection TV so I could use some insight. My living room in on the small side (I sit about 7 feet from the TV) so I am a bit concerned that the picture might seem "grainy".

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I have the Hitachi 57"uwx. I sit about 8 to 10 feet away. Picture is good but I really need a hd receiver to get best picture. I like the hitachi brand tv.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Try taking a look at something in the low-to-mid-40" range. If you need decent PQ for regular TV viewing and can't/won't be getting HD broadcasts for that, then you might be better off w/ a >=30" direct-view.

Not sure why it has to be widescreen since you didn't explain. Do you plan to move in the forseeable future, eg. w/in 2-3 years? If so, you might consider spending less now and waiting til you move to get something better and bigger. It all depends on what your situation really is and what you must have now.

And then, in the end, PQ and "right size" are subjective and depends on you. Go do some shopping and see what works and what doesn't for you.

_Man_

4. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I like my Toshiba 50H82. I have zero complaints with picutre quality for dvd's and hdtv. I only have HD HBO via a digital TimeWarner connection. If you aren't going to change houses soon, I'd get the 50". If you plan on moving, like we are in three or four months, check out the 57H82. I wish I had the 57" or 65", since I'll be sitting further away when we move. Maybe I can give the 50" to the boys for their gameroom and I can get a new one.

5. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit