What's new

What's next for BCI? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I wasn't interested in the new HE-Man until a friend of mine let me borrow a tape he had of a few episodes. I was surprised how much I liked it. It really is a very good cartoon, with strong stories, and a great sci-fi/fantasy feel to it.
I'm really looking forward to seeing all the episodes.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

If the contestants tie and each is $250 or less away from the price of his/her showcase, both contestants win both showcases. If each is more than $250 away and there is a tie, each wins his/her own showcase. Wikipedia says a tie has happened once in a U.S. version (I think I read somewhere that it happened on a Dennis James-hosted nighttime version in the '70s). A perfect bid supposedly occurred on a James show too, sez Wikipedia.

This is the closest showcase on any Barker-hosted version. It's from the days when a bid had to be less than $100 away to earn a double-showcase win. The hard-luck runner-up received nothing other than what she won earlier in the show:

YouTube - Price is Right -- Close Finish

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
David, are there any episodes on that upcoming price is right set, from the 80s??? Fingers crossed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LCD22

Screenwriter
David, is there any chance of your company tackling some of Jamie Oliver's series through BCI's International Voyage label? There are two volumes of Oliver's Twist (Shout! Factory and Capital Entertainment/First Look Home Entertainment) that have been released, along with the complete series of Jamie's Kitchen (also from Capital Entertainment) and Happy Days Tour Live! (Delta). I would love to see more of his put out on DVD.

The following hasn't been released to the R1 market:

-Shout! Factory's release of "Oliver's Twist" consisted of seven selected episodes from Series 1. Capital's release was a two-disc with 15 selected episodes from Series 2. There are 30 episodes that haven't been released total (19 from Series 1, 11 from Series 2) according to his official website.

I've listed below for you what's been released so far of this series:

Oliver's Twist (Shout! Factory)

World Cup Breakfast

Scarlet Division

The Bill

Wild City

Tiger

Bollywood

Chocolate

Oliver's Twist 2 (Capital Entertainment)

Disc 1:

Veg Out

An Englishman And An Irishman

Flash In The Pan

A Very British Barbecue

Pasta & The Masta

World On A Plate

Carnival Brazil

Jamie & The King

Disc 2:

Birthday Boy

The Boat Trip

George's Day Off

Daddy's Girl

Jekka The Herb Lady

The Big Cheese

The Night Shift

-The Naked Chef

-Jamie's Great Italian Escape (aka Jamie's Great Escape)

-Jamie's School Lunch Project (aka Jamie's School Dinners) - I don't believe the follow-up special Jamie's Return to School Dinners has aired here in the States, but this would need to be included.

-Jamie at Home

There's probably more I'm leaving out, but this gives you an idea what's not available and what is in Region 1 of Jamie's.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Probably not. It's not a genre that we have any experience in selling or marketing. So we'd already be working at a disadvantage. And I'm not sure it's an area that is profitable enough to try to entrench ourselves into.

And while I am a fan of Jamie (looking forward to his new show), the DVDs that Shout and First look put out did not do very well.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Thanks David. It's real discouraging to hear that they didn't sell very well, but I'd expected it as much concerning more DVDs of his series hasn’t been released, and it's been extremely quiet about any more coming to this market. I've talked to a few people who didn't even realized that part of "Oliver's Twist" or even "Jamie's Kitchen" was even out on DVD. He's still popular in the States, but you would never know that with the spotlight being more on Rachael Ray nowadays, and not to mention his complete absent from the Food Network. I don't remember the last time they've even aired one of his series on there, though I caught BBC America airing re-runs of “The Naked Chef” over the summer but they don't have any episodes currently scheduled. I have heard though that his 2006 hardcover, Jamie's Italy, sold very well here. I'm not sure how his other hardcover which was released last October, Cook with Jamie, did. I would like to believe there's still a market here for DVDs to be released.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
He does have a new show (Jamie at Home) coming to Food Network this month. They promo it at almost every commercial break.

LCD22

Screenwriter

My cable provider recently dropped the Food Network, so that would explain why I haven't seen any commercials for it. I was wondering when/if "Jamie at Home" would air here.

EDIT: I'll be getting Food Network shortly. My cable provider was bought out by Time Warner, and they're just now sending out the new digital cable boxes. The pains of leaving in a small town, I guess. Thanks again David, for the responses.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I haven't watched The Food Network since they dropped the original Iron Chef(Japan). With a cult following, I'm really surprised it hasn't been released on dvd. I love that show.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I'm a huge fan too, but I don't know how it would do on DVD. I'm not sure its that "rewatchable". I could see maybe a "Best of Iron Chef" that featured some of the really classic battles, but even that wouldn't be a big seller.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Aspiring Chefs, and people with an accelerated interest of pop culture would probably be the only takers. It's a shame because the dramatic intros including the back story(along with that amazing score from the film Backdraft) of the challengers were always so dramatic, that by the end of the show when they announced the winner I was so into it I was practically biting my nails. That, and the theme ingredient. Until The Iron Chef I never thought anyone could make five dishes(including desert) from an Octopus:)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
How good would some Justin Wilson DVDs sell? It would have 80's nostalgia going for it, good storytelling and you could include his appearance on Ed Sullivan from the 60's as well.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, Steve, but you're wrong. When GSN had the rights to air TPIR reruns, they could air any old episodes they wanted, except ones featuring fur coats or animal-related products (such as meat-based grocery item). They aired all kinds of episodes with Janis, Dian and Holly, and I think that GSN were only skipping the fur episodes as a courtesy to Barker and his sensitivities, anyway, not an outright ban.

When it was on the regular schedule, half-hour Barker episodes played in the morning, and hour-long shows in the late afternoon/evening, with Tom Kennedy episodes in late-night, and Cullen episodes in a black-and-white programming block. This saturation was probably due to the loss of other G-T shows between 1997-98 (which were on a separate contract).

When the rights to the TPIR package lapsed in 2000 (and GSN had to renegotiate), it was Les Moonves and CBS, not Bob Barker, who didn't want TPIR reruns on GSN. The reason wasn't anything to do with Barker's Beauties, it was that CBS were/are concerned that classic reruns of TPIR might siphon viewers from the "new" episodes on CBS. Fremantle (the owner of the show) has to give clearance for GSN to air TPiR. CBS told Fremantle that they don't want them to give GSN the clearance or they will not pay as much for new episodes of Price, so that's why Fremantle aren't allowing GSN to air TPIR right now.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

We tried. We also offered to donate a portion of sales to a charity of Bob's choice as a way of "making up" for past transgressions. We also offered up doing a PSA (hopefully with Bob) that is anti-cruelty to animals. We figured that would be even better than just ignoring it. None of those would fly.

LCD22

Screenwriter
David, would "Press Your Luck" be a possibility for you? This is was my favorite game show growing up, and I remember fondly watching re-runs on the USA Network. I'm surprised this cult favorite hasn't been released yet.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Maybe. It all depends on how this next batch of shows does. If Game Shows keep performing well, I'm sure we'll look into licensing more of them.

Match Game did much better than expected and I think Family Feud will do really well because it's all celebs - lots of REALLY good ones. And i think that Celeb based Game Shows may be the way to go. Price is Right is an obvious exception because its such an icon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks