What's new

Is it do or die for 4k UHD in 2023? (1 Viewer)

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I have over 200 4K discs and average price paid is about $15 per disc....is that overpriced?....and "stagnant"...?...2022 has been a bumper year for 4K releases and 2023 is shaping up to be even better...what on earth are you talking about?
Well, despite me personally increasing our 4K Blu-ray movie collection up to a total of 52 movies by buying "Alien", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", & "Frozen" (to watch with our Grandkids), at our local Best Buy yesterday, I really don't have much confidence that studios will still be releasing a significant number of movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray in 2 to 5 years. But I sure hope that lack of faith on my part is WRONG!

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Well, despite me personally increasing our 4K Blu-ray movie collection up to a total of 52 movies by buying "Alien", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", & "Frozen" (to watch with our Grandkids), at our local Best Buy yesterday, I really don't have much confidence that studios will still be releasing a significant number of movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray in 2 to 5 years. But I sure hope that lack of faith on my part is WRONG!

'Alien' looks fantastic on 4K congrats (just hope you won't be showing the grandkids that one tho :lol:)

Best way to support the format is to actually buy some discs so well done on your collection so far :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Disc sales are actually increasing worldwide.

In the UK alone for example, in 2021, home entertainment revenue was up 13% to US$5 Billion...with more than 21 million discs sold....and the home entertainment market there is set to top $6 Billion in revenue by 2025.

You'll be glad to hear out favorite lil' 4K discs are not disappearing anywhere anytime soon. :)

Though it's fun for me to be gradually building a modest collection of movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray, and making an event out of a premier showing of each 4K Blu-ray, I have to say that 21 million movies sold on disc in a year's time in the UK is not at all impressive when one considers that 67 million people live in the UK. That means that less than one movie on disc was sold in that country during 2021, for every 3 people who live in the UK. Naturally, I realize that the total population figure does include some millions of babies and little kids who surely would have no ability to be buyers of 4K Blu-ray discs. However, to present a different comparative perspective on the disc situation, the music album by the Eagles, entitled Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, has sold over 38 million copies in the U.S. So that total number of units of just that ONE music album is almost TWICE the number of ALL the discs containing movies which were sold during 2021 in the UK. I'm sorry, but even as a devoted fan of movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray, I must say that a total of ALL movies sold on disc in a year, just adding up to 21 million discs, even in a country with just one fifth of the U.S. population, is definitely a very small number of sales. And I understand that here in the U.S. 1080p Blu-ray movies are still outselling the same titles on 4K UHD Blu-ray by about a 7 to 1 ratio. And actually, I'm the one who's considered the oddball among my extended family and friends because I'm about the only person who still buys movies on disc, or even watches his movies that way. Not long ago, my late brother's wife, who's quite a computer nerd, asked why I'm still wasting space collecting movies on disc, instead of "catching up with the times", by streaming or downloading the movies we like to see. Naturally, my answer about the superior quality provided by a great transfer on disc, was basically disregarded by my sister-in-law (who's always annoyed me anyway) as she told me that most of that perceived improvement is just in my imagination. Gee, where's good old Norman Bates, when his skills might be put to some good use?!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The disc cost isn't really that much more than standard blu-ray: The bigger (and for some, more prohibitive) cost is in upgrading hardware from blu-ray/HD to UHD/4K. To get a set-up (display, player, sound system) that will take advantage of all that UHD has to offer will set a consumer back a few grand. The cost/benefit analysis for the standard consumer of upgrading to UHD vs sticking to BD (or DVD) may not put the investment at the top of the priority list.
This.

On the lower end, you have the standard new equipment upgrade where one ends up with a standard 4K blu-ray player and 4K TV because that is what is available. They can now support UHD but the setup may not be the best at outputting HDR. Will those people feel the need to upgrade to UHD disks, especially catalog titles they already have on blu-ray.

On the higher end, you have those that already went with high-quality setups prior to UHD that maybe can't afford to just upgrade all the hardware to be of equal quality in a 4K/UHD configuration. The interest may be there, but they may have a few years yet before they can commit. This is where I currently exist.

YANG

Screenwriter
And DVD still outsells them both.
depending on how each format is priced in different markets... DVD of the same will have it's sales figure achievement against the other 2 "superior" format.
the other 2 factors will be either on the genre, or due to hardware restriction(availability) in the respective market.

螢幕擷取畫面 (71).png

for example, in my country, a small little country along the equator, the list price of:
1) dual format(UHD+FHD) bluray is priced @ USD$50,
2) a single format UHD release is priced @ USD$40,
3) a single format FHD release is priced around USD$35,
4) a single format DVD release is priced around USD$20.

so, to a media collector, which will be a better choice to build up his physical media library? here is where the price, plays a very prominent factor... to some consumers' eyes.

okay... to be fair, one may argue that one format is superior to another. so, the minimum, one should go for the 2K BluRay. is that really... "necessary", if one could easily forgotten about that acquisition, if the individual's favorite genre is just a short pleasure of purchase? then... an individual's choice would likely be diversified. in my case, certain movies belonging to certain genres would get a "superior costly" support, while some may get their existence on my media shelf in the cheapest tagging...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
OK. You are asking for one title you want on 4K disc, but you chose two because it’s your thread. Well I am going to choose three because I like your thread. Oliver Stone’s Born On The Fourth Of July, Patton (Disney???), Fiddler On The Roof with the original United Artists Transamerica logo and the special music that was used at the beginning, and has never been rereleased since RCA Selectavision disc.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Personally my goal is to build my 4K blu-ray library with as many titles I am interested in as they become available. For me when buying media standard blu-ray has become the bear minimum. I keep hoping to see The Abyss and True Lies on 4K blu-ray. But also for me 4K blu-ray is my reference quality format that I strive to own content on. It is hard to say if 4K blu-ray will peak next year or enjoy and increase in sales which will not be easy with the insane inflation that is hitting us all.

I am also surprised that Real Guiness made 4K blu-ray and it will end up in my library.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm an enthusiastic buyer of 4k discs, many but not all, are a reasonable increase in quality over blu ray. Overall more films are being released on 4k than I expected but fewer classic titles that I want, I guess due to cost and anticipated lower sales than contemporary sci-fi and horror titles.

Would also like to see more music/concert titles released.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
The format on hard disc is bolstered by 4K streaming. The mastering will continue, and they might as well grab any extra money by offering discs.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
My history is to re-buy movies I love in whatever the new, superior format happens to be. 4K UHD is both a blessing and a curse, since often these discs are too dark and not as pleasing as the Blu-rays (check out the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN 4K thread), meaning it's a case-by-case situation. Sometimes the quality is amazingly off the charts (THE MUMMY from that same 4K horror set, the recent GODFATHER 4Ks, those astonishing-looking Leone westerns from Kino), sometimes you stop watching after fifteen minutes and put on the Blu-ray (BRIDE, FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA, etc.).

Bottom line? Unlike Blu-ray, where I pretty much re-bought all the titles I had already purchased on DVD, I limit my 4K collecting to either true essentials, or films I have a special love for. Guess I'll do the same thing when 8K comes along, and really pushes these movies beyond their natural quality parameters. But hey, I'll have to have 2001!

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I have over 200 4K discs and average price paid is about $15 per disc....is that overpriced?....and "stagnant"...?...2022 has been a bumper year for 4K releases and 2023 is shaping up to be even better...what on earth are you talking about?

This forum isn't reality. It's a far outlier of the general public in terms of physical media interest and consumption.

Given the dynamics of DVD-Blu Ray-4K share of the disc market, I do think that the 4K ship has sailed in terms of anything close to being significant. I don't think that it's stagnant... certainly boutique labels are helping on that front.

B&M space is rapidly shrinking and what's mostly gone is 4K... with maybe the exception of Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks