What's new

Star Trek: Insurrection SE on June 7th (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Doh!

Of course, he was modelled after a certain real-life Col. North, so maybe I was just referrig to the inspiration for the character as a way of saying how transparent it was.

Yeah, that's the ticket. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
There was a topic on this before but I can’t find it. I was checking my DVDs and have to say that I still can not believe my eyes when I watch this deluxe super duper collector’s edition. How this transfer could pass by, I don’t know. It’s not even a soft transfer; it’s practically out of focus!

Original Edition

Special Collector’s Edition

Original Edition

Original Edition

It’s truly Special. :angry: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Scary comparison. I'll have to check that out. I was more concerned about the rubbish sound quality. But this softer picture does look pretty poor.

Interesting... I have read quite a few reviews of this title (SCE) lately (been getting back into Star Trek after a period of disinterest) and none of them have mentioned this flaw...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I personally never trust screenshots. IMO, they are never really a true indication of quality. Too many variables (the poster's computer, my computer, etc...) that may alter the image.

I'm intrigued though and will do a comparison myself soon.

I do too.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
There is discussion and screenshots on this in the HTF REVIEW thread.

While I agree that the sharper transfer is over-sharpened, the new release seems to have too much noise reduction, causing quite a bit of softness. Paramount did the same thing with Witness.

-Scott

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

I agree with Scott. Neither transfer is perfect. For me, on balance the new transfer is more film like than the original, but it could have been sharper.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
If I really saw the 2 DVD's one right after the other on my display and they looked like those screen caps, then I'd prefer the original one.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Adding to my above comments and reviewing the screenshots again, the "digital" enhancement I'm seeing *may* be due to the JPG compression used to post the screenshot. I already traded my old Insurrection in or I'd do A/B's myself.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The screenshots are the exact representation of the image stored on your DVDs. I'm always careful with my screenshots here not to add jpg compression on the top.

Guido Bibra

Stunt Coordinator
A while back I tried to make a comparison of the two transfers and discovered that the old one was just sharpened very much. I don't know why the transfer is so soft, maybe it has something to do with the digital effects - but there's absolutely no detail missing in the new transfer, it's just that the sharpening has been left off.

I did a graphical comparison, but I'm still not allowed to post URLs here, sorry...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks