What's new

Star Trek: Insurrection SE on June 7th (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Just thought I'd check to make sure that was the case. Looks like it was a printing error after all. Thanks for the confirmation, Tom! :emoji_thumbsup:

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Way to go Paramount. The Generations cover art was screwed up and delayed the release of the set by like a month. The same thing better not happen again because of some idiot that fell asleep at the wheel while designing the art. I want to keep buying these CEs to complete the full set but not when it involves delaying things because of their own ignorance.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
There's a distinct difference here. With the Generations SCE, it was originally printed that the trailers were going to be on the disc but in fact weren't. With Insurrection, the deleted scenes aren't mentioned on the cover, but they're on the disc. This is one of those instances where it's better for the fans that they're getting something extra that's not mentioned on the package cover. Perhaps they'll correct the error and mention it in the next batch of package printings.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Ok, time for stupid question. Are the deleted scenes put back in the movie or as dvd extras?

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Just finished watching this new DVD edition. Picture quality is absolutely immaculate. And the DTS soundtrack is soooooooooo much punchier than the previous lacklustre DD track. But did anybody else notice serious crackling issues in the centre channel whenever anybody spoke (especially during "internal" scenes at the beginning)?

These crackles are also audible on the less-punchy DD track which leads me to believe that they simply took the DD track and remixed it for DTS.

A great shame because this set is "almost" perfect. If it wasn't for the bad dialogue channel I'd be literally jumping down in glee!

Of course if I could find a pair of discs that aren't scratched/scuff I'd be a tad happier too.

John

BTW I'm using a Denon 2900 player and 3805 receiver with full-range Mission speakers.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Maybe this belongs in a 'ST CE Meta Thread', but I'm somewhat frustrated with packaging variations over the CE series.

The yellow spine on ST1. ST2 spine says 'Director's Edition' instead of CE. The white case debacle of ST6.

The lack of inserts in the second half of the series.

Inconsistent video transfers (ST5 and Gens were particularly weak).

The spine font seems to get more wild and colorful as the CE series progresses.

By Insurrection, 'Star Trek' is now in jarring blue letters.

Guess I got used to the yellow scheme of the first DVD, somehow I didn't think blue would be the color of Insurrection.

Also not sure why Paramount put replacement barcode stickers on the case to cover the slipcover barcode on FC and Insurrection.

On the up side, I am looking forward to hearing the DTS NG tracks at some point in the future.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Both ST1 and ST2 were Director'e Editions I believe. They contained new cuts of the films. ST2 was not as different as the new ST1, but had a couple extended scenes.

It's a wonder ST VI wasn't called a Director'e Edition since it was a new version of the film as well.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

What were the changes? It looked like every version of it I had seen before, as far as content.

paul_austin

Second Unit
actually all of that was in the previous version, the new stuff was during the "mind probe" of valaris you see flashes of the people as their names are mentioned and an alternate shot of McCoy during this probe

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

All of those scenes were in previous home video versions of the movie, but not in the theatrical version. The most recent DVD was slightly different, though. There were some alternate camera angles (or alternate takes) used for a few scenes, as well as some other slight changes. There is an existing ST6 thread which has more details.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott

It was not in the theatrical version or, I believe, the first VHS release. I saw the film in the theater and that stuff was new when I saw it on the laserdisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks