What's new

Quantum Leap Season Two - Music Replaced! (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well it all boils down to definitions and ideas about "not perfect".

I suspect we'd all agree that "not perfect" breaks down into:

"not perfect, but good enough"

"not perfect, and so bad it's compeletly unacceptable"

We're all going to draw the line differently, but I think most people would put an otherwise perfect dvd with a lack of extras in the first category. And I suspect that most people would put a dvd in which the only audio track available was one in which Danny DeVito dubbed all of the voices in Serbo-Croatian".

Now, for myself, things like cutting out scenes, pan & scanning, and music replacement, are things that cross the line.

In my opinion, if a studio can't or won't give those things, they'd be better off not releasing it at all. I'm not advocating a law for that, so I'm not stepping on any consumer's choice to pick up the Danny DeVito dubbed version of Citizen Kane, if that's what they want to do. But I remain steadfast in my opinion that released such altered dvds is morally, if not legally, wrong, and the studios shouldn't do it.

I certainly know I won't buy any such crap.

It also depends on what it means that a dvd can't be released that way. There's a huge difference between a case like Fantasia where certain vocal tracks did not exist and no amount of money could have brought them into existence, and tv shows, where they just don't want to pay the asking price for the music. That's not a case of "can't", it's a case of "won't".

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Well, I guess now there's one more reason to go region free. Tomorrow, Quantum Leap Season 2 is being released in the UK, and I just stumbled over this bit of info @ thedvdforums.com:

Also note that the R2 version has 6 DVD-9s instead of 3 DVD-18s.
Season 2 is out tomorrow, season 3 in December.

Chris

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
Chris, you just made my day!!:emoji_thumbsup:

If this is really true, I'll buy S2 and S3 all over again and will stick to R2 releases for the remainder of the series.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Ok, that's bizarre. Any explanation why other regions keep the music and R1 doesn't? Universal owns the overseas rights as well, correct?

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
OMG! Guess who's going out tomorrow to replace the region 1 season 2 set.:) Now i'l be able to weep properly like a big girl at the end of M.I.A instead of sitting there shaking my head in disbelief at the idiotic replacement universal forced on the region 1 version.It is very strange though how the european branches of universal have managed to pay for the rights to all of the music(if indeed it's all present).

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Ok reading these last few posts. Please confirm did universal do the R2 releases or was it another company that produced them? Also What can I do to find out if my DVD player plays all or other regions? I want to get the set(s) if all music is as originally aired and if universal is not going to be releasing unaltered uncut sets here. However if the R2 sets are from universal I would think we would see the corrected sets release here as well, because if they didn't I don't see why the music rights would be any different for one and not the other.

So please please let me know. Thanks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They are from Universal. I don't know how to check your DVD player, but I'm guessing that if you don't know, it is not region-free. The ones that can play all regions generally use that as a selling point. You might look at the back of the player for a Region 1 sticker, though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Here's a good thread for this topic:

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/...ead.php?t=1926

You'll find some package shots there. Also, it's confirmed that at least Blondie's Call Me is intact in Another Mother.

This lends creedence to what some of us were saying before: Universal's statement that "timing issues" were involved meant that they *could* have had the music, but didn't have enough time to clear it if they wanted the set out quickly. Unfortunately, it means they lost a sale from me. I'd completely written off QL on DVD, but I'll see if they do something in R1.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
If it was a timing issue with season 2 and there was such a large outcry with letters and everything to them why on earth did season 3 also come out with music replacements when they knew so many fans were upset?

I also don't mind waiting longer for a release if thats what it takes to do it right. I know there is more than enough stuff out already and upcoming that I can't afford to buy all the releases I want when they release. I'm already behind 2 months or so on releases due to the rate the stuff I want is releasing. Many sets all on the same week at that.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go ahead and replace my S2 box, but I'm going to hold off on future seasons until I find out how they;re going to handle them here. If it is indeed a "timing" issue, maybe they're holding off for the rest of the show. It's a stretch, but I'm still hoping Universal has gotten the message.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I'll buy the R2 set(s) to complete my collection as I only have Season 1 right now. Does anyone know if the PAL Speed-up afflicts the Season 2 set?

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent news, just when I'd written off the possibility of buying any Quantum Leap. I think it'd be wise to get in quick, just in case of a product recall!

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
European copyright laws must not be as asinine as American ones, allowing for more consumer and culture-friendly releases.

Married with Children S4 is also uncut in R2. They have all-around higher standards over there. ;)

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
Got my copy of QL S2 (R2) yesterday -- oh boy, this is so cool!! Would you believe they even included the old Universal logo and fanfare at the end of the show? They sure did. Gosh, how I missed that while watching the butchered R1 version. Can't wait for S3!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks