What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: Top Gun Maverick (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jake, Doug and Rodney for chiming in! And thanks Rodney for confirming. How did you get the Steelbook early? And yes, Amazon and Best Buy shows the Steelbook, but doesn’t let you order it. So I’m curious how Rodney was able to get the Steelbook? :)
i pre-ordered back in August from Best Buy. Sometimes I get my shipments early, sometimes later. Luck of the draw.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Rodney, perhaps the popularity of this title amongst the Steelbook fans really did all pre-order and they are sold out.

I’ll let you know what I end up getting.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well guys, I forgot I had set-up an account at Deep Discount a few months ago. I just checked their site and the Steelbook was available for pre-order, so I just pulled the trigger. $34.95 not including tax and free shipping. I still feel like I might not actually be getting the Steelbook, so I’ll see when it arrives.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The decision to make the standard 4K release a single disc is bizarre to me.

For better or worse, this has been Paramount’s standard release strategy for new releases films and newly remastered catalog titles for at least a year - there have been some exceptions but I think their bean counters have concluded that the cost of adding a disc to the package is not outweighed by the number of units sold.

The cynic in me thinks it makes a certain amount of business sense. Replication capacity and related pipeline delays are more widespread than is commonly known or accepted, making such releases more complicated than they need to be. UHD disc is now a mature format - it’s been around for over 6 years - and adoption rates have been poor. There are far more people switching from DVD and/or BD discs to 4K streaming than 4K disc. There just aren’t many people left who currently use BD but still intend to one day buy into UHD disc; the “future proofing” market is basically non-existent.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I still feel like I might not actually be getting the Steelbook, so I’ll see when it arrives.
If you ordered the steelbook and they had enough stock to accept the order, then you should get the steelbook. The other editions would be cheaper, so if they send you something that isn't the steelbook, you've been overcharged.

For better or worse, this has been Paramount’s standard release strategy for new releases films and newly remastered catalog titles for at least a year - there have been some exceptions but I think their bean counters have concluded that the cost of adding a disc to the package is not outweighed by the number of units sold.
Right. I understand your point. I don't expect to need the 4K disc -- I'm okay with the Blu-ray -- so it doesn't really impact me personally. I just think it's weird that they are pretty much the only major studio that does it this way.

Also, the original Top Gun 4K release included a Blu-ray. So it would make sense to be consistent within a given series. But they obviously don't think the way that we collectors do.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If you ordered the steelbook and they had enough stock to accept the order, then you should get the steelbook. The other editions would be cheaper, so if they send you something that isn't the steelbook, you've been overcharged.
Hi Jake, yeah, I figure that you are right. Just hope the computer system shows there’s enough stock on hand and the reality of the quantities in stock match. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just hope the computer system shows there’s enough stock on hand and the reality of the quantities in stock match. :)
I think if they didn't have stock on hand, you wouldn't be able to place the order. But I understand your skepticism. I have had varying degrees of success getting steelbooks in the past, but never had a problem once I placed the order.
The fact that the steelbook is being released to all retailers, rather than a Best Buy exclusive as the majority of steelbooks are these days, seems to indicate that there will be more copies to go around than usual, too. Good luck.

After initially being told that my Amazon order of the regular Blu-ray would arrive on November 14, I cancelled that order and planned to get it in a store rather than wait two weeks. Later, Amazon did advertise release date delivery again, so I re-ordered from them after all. I just got shipping confirmation with it arriving tomorrow.

I'm surprised they really are going with a Monday street date. But it probably doesn't matter. The film has been available digitally for a few months now anyway.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When I order steelbooks through the mail, I've never not gotten an order. But it is often a toss-up as to whether they will arrive in perfect condition. I actually returned the Back to the Future trilogy steelbooks due to a couple of the cases being scratched. Last month, I got Catch Me If You Can which has a small printing defect on Leonardo DiCaprio's name. I didn't bother to return that one because it was minor and not worth the hassle, but it is an annoyance in principle because steelbooks are classy collector's items and should look as such. This is why I like to get steelbooks in the store where I can examine them, although of course that is not always possible because they are often stocked in limited supply.

And then there have been other times where I got steelbooks in the mail and they were just fine. So you never really know for sure until you actually get the item. Hopefully yours is fine. But if it were me, I'd be more concerned about damage during shipping than not getting the right item.

On another note, I know that pretty much everybody on this forum goes for at least Blu-ray if not UHD. But I was wondering if anyone knows how the DVD release will be handled. We know that the Blu-ray, UHD and digital versions present the film in the shifting IMAX aspect ratio. But I haven't heard about the regular DVD. Christopher Nolan's Blu-rays use the shifting ratios, but his DVDs present a fixed scope aspect ratio version. Of course, this isn't a Christopher Nolan film so I'm not saying that it has to be handled the same way. I was just curious because I don't think I've seen any information about the regular DVD up to this point.

Although those of us here may have less use for it, I do think the DVD of Maverick will be a relatively big seller for people who still use that format. As of right now while I'm writing this, the movie has the top three spots on Amazon's Movies and TV bestseller list. The Blu-ray is #1, the UHD is #2 and the DVD is #3. So clearly there is a large number of people who are buying the DVD to get it up that high. (Incidentally, the fourth spot is currently occupied by the UHD two-pack with both Top Gun films, so a lot of people are buying that too.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jake, if I get a Steelbook, recently I have opted to go to the store to get them for the same reasons as you. But also recently, I’ve opted for curbside pick-up. The Lawrence of Arabia Steelbook rear side had a slight defect that seems consistent with many I’ve seen online and on this forum. I’m not sweating that since it’s on the back And not too noticeable. Appears to be a printing or handling problem before it’s shrunk wrapped.

In this case with the Top Gun Steelbook seeming difficult to get, I decided to pre-order. My last purchase from Deep Discount was in a box unlike Amazon who uses a thin envelope. So I feel there’s a better chance it will arrive safely.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My Blu-ray copy just came. The Cannes featurette which is exclusive to the 4K disc is included with the Blu-ray's digital copy upon redemption. I don't agree with digital exclusive bonus features as a general practice because I think everything should be available on the physical disc. But at least there is a workaround way for Blu-ray owners to see this feature. There is also a featurette with James Cordon which appears to be exclusive to the digital copy.

YANG

Screenwriter
...But I was wondering if anyone knows how the DVD release will be handled. We know that the Blu-ray, UHD and digital versions present the film in the shifting IMAX aspect ratio. But I haven't heard about the regular DVD. Christopher Nolan's Blu-rays use the shifting ratios, but his DVDs present a fixed scope aspect ratio version...
the one and only Christopher Nolan DVD i have in my library, DUNKIRK, is shifting ratio.
Tom Cruise last Mission Impossible DVD, FALLOUT is also in shifting ratio.
I've no choice but often to play it with cropped ratio.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tom Cruise last Mission Impossible DVD, FALLOUT is also in shifting ratio.
That's interesting. If we assume that Paramount would treat its Tom Cruise franchises the same, I guess this means the DVD of Maverick is also shifting ratio and the scope version is not being released.
The Canadian digital redemption for this...Didn't include any of the extras.
Huh. Do the Canadian digital versions often differ from their American counterparts?

On another note, I was wondering what the #1 selling disc this year will end up being. I would guess it is probably either Top Gun: Maverick or Spider-Man: No Way Home, which are the two box office behemoths of recent times.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
That's interesting. If we assume that Paramount would treat its Tom Cruise franchises the same, I guess this means the DVD of Maverick is also shifting ratio and the scope version is not being released.
There are folks who like "stick to the theme" aspect ratio presentation.
There are folks who like "stick to THE BEST Cinematic Presentation".
And lastly there will certainly a percentage of folks who would prefer "IMAX the best to MAX out my home screen" presentation, where they wouldn't mind if 2.39:1 portion cropped to blend with 1.95:1 IMAX portion, where majority of the action lies.

Personally, I'm either the first or the last.

Yeah... i know... some members above will start to think or comment... "Here we go again... the YANG's personal debate on switching ratio topic again!"

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 9.22.12 AM.png

Huh. Do the Canadian digital versions often differ from their American counterparts?
Not sure, but redeeming to iTunes gives the following when you go to the iTunes Extras tab via the app on the computer. Via the Apple TV device... the movie will only play. Trying to click on either of those bonus features simply shows a pointer with the circle with a line through it.

It's annoying and frustrating at the best of times.

Oddly, my old Top Gun redemption USED to have the iTunes Extras available there. Doesn't anymore.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jake, FYI, as you noted, if the Steelbook is in stock, and DeepDiscount processed the order, then it is very likely the real deal and is the Steelbook. I just checked their site, I must have got my order in at the nick of time. Their site now shows the Steelbook as backordered. I checked the tracking and my order shows it is in transit and scheduled to arrive in one week. I guess Amazon spoiled me, ordering from Deepdiscount means a longer shop time. But I can wait.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The SteelBook is back in stock on Bestbuy.com as well. I placed an order the other day and it's scheduled to arrive on Friday.

YANG

Screenwriter
here are part of the screen cap of both cover art of UHD and DVD, from Paramount Asia releases...
Screenshot_20221103-140818~2.png

Screenshot_20221103-141421~2.png

...they just generalize the feature presentations across the 3 optical media format as 1.77:1.​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks