What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: Top Gun Maverick (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's Switching/Shifting Aspect Ratios, aka SARs, that heightens and lowers picture heights in a presentation process in a big-eye-popping inconsistent run.
Not Changing, aka CARs, where one is opened to accept a original theatrical screened film to be cropped, either on left and right or top or bottom to heighten the “sense” of the film to what the original film to be related to the genre.

using back the homevideo release of TOPGUN way back to laserdisc time. the one and only release i encountered and owned till today was the “Remastered Edition” of the movie with DD5.1 and surprisingly... WS1.90:1 “IMAX-ish” Aspect Ratio! ...although the DVD release some years later trim it further to the “correct” WS2.35:1 and brought over to Bluray...

No idea what this has to do with what I said.

You seem to believe a large number of people dislike - and even get sick from - the AR variations in "Maverick" and other movies, whereas there's no evidence of this.

YOU dislike it - and you're not alone, but you throw out mass generalizations and seem unwilling/unable to accept that plenty of people are fine and dandy with this presentation.

Like I said, if people hated this, the movie wouldn't still occupy IMAX screens 3+ months after its release.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The success and rave reviews of the film bamboozle me, no matter what aspect ratio it is released in. The story just becomes dumber, more illogical.and poorly thought out whenever I think about the film.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There is no 1.43:1 version of Top Gun: Maverick. The movie was shot with IMAX digital cameras, which have a native ratio of 1.89:1. It would have been very impractical to shoot with bulky IMAX 15/70 film cameras in the cramped confines of the jet cockpits (though Christopher Nolan seemed to manage it with Dunkirk, so who knows?).

Didn't the IMAX sequences for Dune (2021) use (new-ish?) 1.43:1 digital IMAX cameras? No idea if that was available for Maverick... not that its filmmakers would've wanted that AR at all, especially given so few theaters could actually show in that format.

I'm very glad Dune went w/ that format though, unfortunately, we didn't get home releases w/ shifting AR -- I definitely miss the (much) taller AR for the various scenes/shots... though not sure how they'd play at just 16x9 instead despite my 45-degree-plus at-home FOV...

The success and rave reviews of the film bamboozle me, no matter what aspect ratio it is released in. The story just becomes dumber, more illogical.and poorly thought out whenever I think about the film.

Haha... I have mixed feelings about this flick... and certainly feel like it doesn't deserve the raves it's been getting, especially from the widespread critics/reviewers community. I can understand its commercial success well enough though...

_Man_

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Didn't the IMAX sequences for Dune (2021) use (new-ish?) 1.43:1 digital IMAX cameras? No idea if that was available for Maverick... not that its filmmakers would've wanted that AR at all, especially given so few theaters could actually show in that format.

I'm very glad Dune went w/ that format though, unfortunately, we didn't get home releases w/ shifting AR -- I definitely miss the (much) taller AR for the various scenes/shots... though not sure how they'd play at just 16x9 instead despite my 45-degree-plus at-home FOV...

Yes, the IMAX sequences in Dune opened up to 1.43:1 and were shown that way in IMAX Laser theaters. Other digital IMAX theaters only opened to 1.90:1.

Dune is the second movie Denis Villeneuve directed that had an alternate aspect ratio presentation in IMAX theaters (the first being Blade Runner 2049, which was open-matte to 1.90:1 for the whole film). Both movies are only available on home video in 2.35:1.

Top Gun: Maverick did not use the IMAX cameras that could capture 1.43:1. It had the same 1.90:1 ratio in all IMAX theaters, whether regular digital or laser projection.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's like deja vu all over again - another new release date: All Hallows Eve 10/31/2022 courtesy of Target ...

1664775658608.png
... here's hoping this is not another Trick ... ;)!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's one day ahead of the previous announced release date of November 1. Target's website often has the release date listed as one day before it actually is. I think this is just them being able to send it out from the website around then, not that it would actually be available in stores on a Monday.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
That's one day ahead of the previous announced release date of November 1. Target's website often has the release date listed as one day before it actually is. I think this is just them being able to send it out from the website around then, not that it would actually be available in stores on a Monday.
My Best Buy preorder for the steelbook got the same update to Oct 31st.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My Best Buy preorder for the steelbook got the same update to Oct 31st.
The same thing with Amazon and probably the rest of the retailers and it's not just the steelbook, but the blu-ray release too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon said my order of Maverick will arrive on November 14.

I don't know what that's about, but I cancelled it. I'll just get it from a store on release week.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw a review which said that the Cannes Film Festival feature with Tom Cruise is exclusive to the 4K UHD release and does not appear on the Blu-ray release. It is disappointing that Paramount would try to prop up the UHD format by punishing Blu-ray customers.

I saw the film twice in theaters but have been waiting for the disc to see it again. Can anyone who already purchased the digital version confirm if the Cannes featurette is accessible in iTunes? I'd like to know if I will be able to access it with the digital copy that is included with the Blu-ray purchase. I still think it should be on the disc, but at least the digital copy would give me a way to see it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw a review which said that the Cannes Film Festival feature with Tom Cruise is exclusive to the 4K UHD release and does not appear on the Blu-ray release. It is disappointing that Paramount would try to prop up the UHD format by punishing Blu-ray customers.

I saw the film twice in theaters but have been waiting for the disc to see it again. Can anyone who already purchased the digital version confirm if the Cannes featurette is accessible in iTunes? I'd like to know if I will be able to access it with the digital copy that is included with the Blu-ray purchase. I still think it should be on the disc, but at least the digital copy would give me a way to see it.

If it makes you feel any better, the Cannes thing is a snore.

Cruise has a tremendous talent. He can talk talk talk talk and seem like he's saying something... but he actually reveals nothing meaningful.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, totally forgot about this upcoming release. I guess life is getting in the way of the fun.

In looking at the buying options, I see there’s only a 4K and digital option and a separate blu ray disc option. But there is a 3rd option showing at Best Buy and Amazon of a Steelbook that includes both the 4K disc and blu ray disc and digital, but it’s listed as “coming”. I’d rather buy that and have both discs. Anyone know what is going on? Is this vapor ware or a proposed release that is not confirmed? Thanks. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't know if it has been officially confirmed that the steelbook has both formats or not.

Edit: From a quick glance on YouTube, here is an unboxing from somebody who got the steelbook early. This isn't me so I can't speak from personal experience, but it does appear from this that the steelbook version actually contains both formats.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jake, Doug and Rodney for chiming in! And thanks Rodney for confirming. How did you get the Steelbook early? And yes, Amazon and Best Buy shows the Steelbook, but doesn’t let you order it. So I’m curious how Rodney was able to get the Steelbook? :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The decision to make the standard 4K release a single disc is bizarre to me. It is much better to have a Blu-ray disc in there so that it is backwards compatible. If the movie was a catalog title where most fans already have it on Blu-ray, I could see an argument for dropping the Blu-ray, but not for a brand new film such as this. Combining them encourages future proofing and makes it easier for customers who may have access to UHD in one space but Blu-ray in other locations. Because I don't have a UHD player, the Blu-ray is my only option if I want to watch the movie right now.

Perhaps this is a strategic move by Paramount to sell more steelbooks because that is the only way to get both formats together -- although steelbooks usually don't have a problem selling out anyway, especially for a hugely popular movie like this.

I'm a steelbook fan but I have the original Top Gun in a keepcase. I'm going with that for Maverick too so that they will match.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks Jake, Doug and Rodney for chiming in! And thanks Rodney for confirming. How did you get the Steelbook early? And yes, Amazon and Best Buy shows the Steelbook, but doesn’t let you order it. So I’m curious how Rodney was able to get the Steelbook? :)
I don't know about Rodney, but I pre-ordered mine from Target back on June 12th. It's listed as sold out on their website now.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Doug. I wasn’t going to pre-order this as I figured it will be widely available. So I was waiting to see what options there are. Maybe we’ll know more tomorrow or Tuesday about the Steelcase. Target shows the Steelbook is sold out.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks Doug. I wasn’t going to pre-order this as I figured it will be widely available. So I was waiting to see what options there are. Maybe we’ll know more tomorrow or Tuesday about the Steelcase. Target shows the Steelbook is sold out.
Good luck, Nelson!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks