What's new

Quantum Leap Season Two - Music Replaced! (1 Viewer)

Rick P

Supporting Actor

Quick and dirty, a Philps 642 ( ~$50 @ WalMart, Target, Etc..) Hack available at www.videohelp.com

Shoot the wad and be prepared for HDTV, Oppo OPDV971H ( ~$200). Region-Free and PAL/NTSC conversion out of the box..

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I have found that the el cheapo Daewoo DVG-9200N is outstanding at the ntsc/pal conversion and it displays the image correctly unlike some players. For $40 you really can't go wrong. Keep in mind the unit looks cheap but it does the job for region free dvd viewing with a couple buttons pressed on your remote to make it region free.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Somebody on the Al's Place message board has posted a pair of videos showing off the differences between the R1 and R2 releases. It is the opening segment from Disco Inferno, and the R2 release has the proper KC and the Sunshine Band tune in place. The R1 is a generic disco instrumental.

http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=TMU7FUHI

Be warned that this site is rather slow, or it was earlier today. It took me an hour to download this 44M file. When you get to the site, a menu will drop down in order to hide the download link, after the 45 second waiting period is up. You have to close it to download (and yeah, I hated doing it; that's typically the go signal to load some spyware on your computer).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
We've been discussing it for a few pages now. Note that the explanation about copyright laws is speculation on the part of Al's Place.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Here's something that could be interesting. You know how it took so much longer for R2 to get the second season--almost a year? Well, season three is coming out in R2 next month. I bet it'll have the music intact. Maybe it is the difference in copyright laws, but what if we go back to the only explanation that Universal USA has given--"timing issues." (And I know at this point, some of you are throwing a shoe at the monitor and saying, "God, will you shut up about that!?") I know, I know, but . . . maybe that really is all it is, and the extra year has allowed Uni to clear the songs. The fact that the sets are coming out so close together may point to that. Or not. I guess it won't be "settled" until R1's season four comes out and we see if the music is intact (and maybe the fact that it hasn't been officially announced and may have been delayed from the date the Sci-Fi channel had is good news for the music). If it is, I bet there is hope for a rerelease of seasons two and three here. Or, am I just dreaming?

/me seeing the glass half-full (perhaps foolishly)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am a half empty person, and I have never bought into Universal's explanation. Securing music rights is expensive and can be time consuming. IMO, Universal didn't want to pay the money and thought there wouldn't be as much an outrage that has come about. I am not optimistic that any sets will be rereleased with intact music.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm half-empty as well -- while I don't doubt that it was easier/cheaper to clear music in Region 2, if Universal had wanted to spend the time & money to clear the music for Region 1, they could have done so. What they wanted was to have product in stores for the 2004 4th quarter - they wanted the short-term profit, not a long-term investment.

I will make do with the R2 releases, despite the unfortunate PAL-speedup.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
It might be awhile before I get the r2 version of season 2 and 3. I got a big list and I've been trying to get 1 or 2 here and there unless I get a really good sale on something. What is the current expected price total in US$ to get them in r2? This may help determine how long before I buy. I wonder if I could even get much of anything for the ones I have. As there would be no reason for me to keep them once I have the other.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
While it is clear that the running times are different for the PAL releases, pitch correction is sometimes used. Is there anyone here who has both versions and can do a comparison?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I posted this link that has a comparison clip:

http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=TMU7FUHI

Again, I'll give the disclaimer: the file is somewhat large, and the server was very slow when I downloaded the other day. So there's no mystery, it is two clips of the same portion of the Disco Inferno episode. I think the main purpose was to show the difference in the scene with the original music and without, but the entire title sequence is included if you want to check for differences in pitch. I didn't think to do that the other day, and now I don't have the files.

Edit: I just downloaded it again, and I can definitely hear a difference in the pitch of the theme song. I don't think the difference would be horribly apparent if I didn't play them back to back, but it's there.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
It's actually not as bad as I feared. The theme song definitely feels "sped up" and doesn't flow that smoothly. However, the voices don't sound squeeky and sped up.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to agree - I'm not noticing the PAL speedup at all now that I'm using my new dvd player, though I found it very noticable when I viewed the disc on my laptop. (I ended up buying a 5-disc Toshiba with PAL-NTSC conversion from regioncodefreedvd.com)

Anyway, I'm extremely satisfied with the R1 dvd so far, and I'm looking forward to owning all 5 seasons. Yay!

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
What about season 4? I think it is out in R1 did it have music replacements? If so I will wait and see how the R2 release is for it also. I wonder if I'll be able to sell my R1 season 2 and 3 sets so I can get R2.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Season four isn't out here until next year. If the music is replaced, I would definitely advise waiting for R2. The track record seems to indicate that it'll have music over there.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
oh my bad its not out in R1 yet lol. I had bad date info. Looks like we won't know for some time yet. Release date according to tvshowsondvd is march 28 2006.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Season Two question I hope someone can help me with -- in the R2 release, I think there might be a snippet of dialogue missing from the episode "Maybe, Baybe."

My memory from the original broadcast is that Al has one of his usual "Ziggy say everyone lives happily ever after" speeches in the final act, where he tells Sam that Bunny & Buster will start a family together. Did I imagine that scene? Or is my memory correct and the dvd is wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks