What's new

Quantum Leap Season Two - Music Replaced! (1 Viewer)

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
Wow indeed.

You know, I was willing to cut Universal some slack on the high SRP for the QL (and Northern Exposure 1 & 2) season sets because I thought they were trying to compensate for the high music clearance costs over the course of the series.

But no. They replaced music, and didn't bother admitting it. And cheaped out on the bonus features. I'm glad I didn't preorder too. But I was really looking forward to re-experiencing the entire series, and am extremely sad that I'm not going to get the chance to do so.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe this!!! I was really looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. Now, I'm going to have to think about it for a while. This kind of thing really disappoints me. I can live without the bonus features, after all they are "bonus" features, but to remove THE song from Quantum Leap is completely wrong. "Georgia On My Mind" is easily the most important song on the show. Much like the removal of "Knights in White Satin" from Wiseguy, this is a disgrace to the show and to the fans. The execs at Universal should hang their heads in shame.

By the way, this does not bode well for Miami Vice, which is my Holy Grail in terms of TV on DVD. If they change the music on that show, they will lose my business for sure.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I can understand certain music replacements because the cost can get astronomical, but when the music is so important to the story like it was in "M.I.A." they should bite the bullet and pass the cost off to us.

It is a shame too because after the expensive first season for only eight episodes and now this, I think it could kill the series dead on DVD.

Paul

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd be hard-pressed to buy it with music replaced anyway, but the absence of Georgia has saved me $33 bucks that I will instead spend on Christmas gifts.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Considering "Georgia" shows up in the Final scene of the series finale
, I'd say that song is VERY important to the show. It's so emotional in context.

Damn shame it didn't make it into the set.

Here's hoping it'll AT LEAST be included in the season 5 set.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Quantum Leap was one of my favourite shows during the early 90s but thanks to these alterations I'll have to give the DVDs a miss:thumbsdown:
It's a pity, but I suppose I have my memories...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

How about Northern Exposure fans who have coughed up $40+ for two seasons of 8 and 7 episodes only to find the music has been replaced? This doesn't bode well.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the heads up. I was ready to go pick this up tomorrow at Circuit City for $34.99. Looks like Season 1 will be the only one I'll own. Unless Universal gets their act together for Seasons 3-5.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Well I was just organising my have to have in my wish list of the Profiler. Looks like I will go and delete this from my selctions. I cannot believe that they would do this to the show. My question to you all is this,

If the music played on the orignal air dates for the shows, why would it not be on the DVD. I know about the rights to songs, but would it not be just a small portion of the profits made from the DVD sales to cover that expense?

Why ruin it for everyone that knew the series?

Nope, Season 1 is the only one that I will have in my DVD collection as well unless there are revised editions that come out. And I do not think that this will happen.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
I don't think I can describe just how disappointed I am, but I don't think I have to, since I'm sure many of you feel exactly the same way.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

That's the problem. Just one song that needs to be re-licensed can cost a studio a huge percentage of their potential revenue - and that's IF the show sells well on DVD.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I understand the problem, but it's a total deal-breaker. Even if they fix the subsequent seasons, I won't be there. I won't own everything but the second season.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
If you guys are that big fans of the show I'm sure you have them all on tape so just transfer your tapes to DVD. This way you will have it the way it aired. Shouldn't be a problem as everyone I know has taped the shows they really liked for many years now.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I don't have tapes, but even if I did, I'd rather have the show properly on DVD than low-res cable recorded onto lower res VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks