What's new

*** Official THE HAPPENING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I went in thinking I would laugh at it. I was kind of worried about that since I usually hate when others do that when I'm enjoying the movie the way it is.

I agree about opening weekends. I also think WOM will effect this negatively. People just aren't able to connect with it.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I actually didn't mind LitW, I kinda liked the whole concept of a girl with unusual powers ending up taking refuge in an eccentric apartment complex with all these everyday people and being pursued by a dark force. I liked it more than The Village.

But yeah the stuff about Night playing a character who writes a book that's so brilliant it'll change the world was laughable. I saw the film like a couple of weeks into its run, so my expectations for it had been lowered to a massive degree.

I liked Paul Giamatti's performance though and also I liked the girl that played Night's sister in the film.

I dunno about The Happening though. The reviews have been incredibly harsh.

Still though I can see why it opened decently. I think there is a portion of the audience that's getting a little tired of all the superhero/CGI/adventure flicks ... lots of people are in the mood for a good ol' fashioned thriller, unfortunately it doesn't seem The Happening delivers that.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Just got back from seeing it, I liked it.

Not pointing any fingers, but IMHO, I think too many people have set unrealistically high expectations on a lot of movies, including this one.

I was contemplating changing my movie choice for today to The Incredible Hulk. I'm glad I didn't. Besides, I saw a lot of kids going into Hulk. I'll probably wait for that on DVD or see it in a couple weeks.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Opening weekend actually means quite a lot. For many smaller movies, it´s almost everything. "The Happening" already got $30.5M "back" of its budget ($57 + marketing, I guess), so it probably won´t be considered as a "flop". And if you add the international numbers, it´s even better. No worries for Shyamalan. ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Absolutely. For me, it was either this or The Strangers. I like superhero flick but wasn't in the mood for it this weekend. I haven't seen Ironman so that was my 3rd choice.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Good point. People also want something "different", without CGI etc, and Shyamalan delivers that in some degree. "The Happening" is not really a "good ol' fashioned thriller", but at least for me it was intense experience, with tension, even "horror", humor, emotions, surprises, good actors, etc. It was a good package (not perfect by any means, though). My style is not to read anything about these films before entering to the movie theatre, which probably also helped. You never quite know what to expect when it comes to Shyamalan, and I really like that. I guess I like "different movies" every once in a while. Films that are not that obvious etc.

Btw. That "talking to plant"-scene was hilarious. Good example of Shyamalan's humor. Some like it and some don´t. I think it was a nice little scene.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't like the movie either but I think that's a little... extreme. Besides that, it's not the dialogue- it's the delivery of the dialogue.

EDIT: Like I said before, I love most of Shyamalan's work so it is nice to see that a few people have enjoyed this movie. I just wish I was one of them too. :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I don't know. I think that it didn't affect everyone. Since they show 3 months later they are back living in Philly and it looked like a bunch of people were living there. If a virus, germ came in and killed everyone. Their would be no one to come back. Also, in the news reports. They say local authorities were doing autopsies in NY of the victims. So maybe it was attacks than have a high death rate. But, in the city their is not many trees and shrubs. So only those near a park are affected. Which would explain why suburban areas where their are trees and shrubs everywhere were hard hit (ie-Princeton).

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, this is *exactly* what happened to me. I still believe (how sad of me.. ;) ) that the "old village + monsters + ancient peace is about to be broken + monsters attack" was a brilliant concept. I watched the trailer (The Village) many times and almost pictured what might happen in the film. Spooky horror, monsters lurking in the shadows, Shyamalan doing what he does best.. My expectations sky-rocketed. I was ready to see the best - and SCARY, horror-movie in ages..

Then - huge disappointment. Huge. But - the reasons for that were quite simple; I waited for a good old monster movie. I got deeper film than that. After "accepting" that fact, I started to see the film in a different light and also learned to respect the film. It´s still "disappointment", but still a pretty good movie in his own right. It just isn´t a "horror movie"..

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

I had reasonable to low expectations for The Happening, and they still weren't met even when I paid an early bird special of $4.50 to see it. I told a classmate of mine if I didn't like The Happenin, it would be the last Shyamalan movie I would have any desire to watch. Otherwise, I'm going to rely on word of mouth from now on. The Happening was more like a punchline to a five-minute conversation about great story concepts.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Somehow I think when I said I had "higher hopes" for The Happening then it meant they were unrealistic. No, I went in wanting/hoping/wishing to like it but since his last few films haven't blown me away it was still guarded.

I think when someone likes a film and some don't it's an easy claim for those that do to shout 'unrealistic' expectations.

I think with MNS recent films most people are going in with mixed expectations. I don't feel the 'hate' that is said to be in for him. Maybe I'm bias because overall I like his work. Some of it I love.

I hope I'm wrong about the box office after the opening weekend success.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Tim, my statement in this regards was meant in much broader terms. It's just that I hear so many people, complain and put down so many movies, that I feel that something has changed to where large groups of people expect every movie to be the, be all, end all, (unrealistic expectations). [I'd give examples of movie titles similar to what they expect, but then I'm sure some would say any of the titles I might mention are crap as well]. And when it is not exactly what they want, they bash the given movie as being crap, worst movie ever, etc.

It wasn't for you, then that's fine for you. But you go through HTF, {and worse on other sites}, and the majority of movies are bash bait. Just a sad commentary on our time.

:)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Qui Gon John, I actually think we're thinking the same thing on this. :) No worries. And I agree with expectations playing huge roles in movies. More often than not, my 2nd or sometimes 3rd viewing of a film I enjoy much more unless of course it's awful from the getgo & then it only gets one :D

I think I came off defensive in my post.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Film enjoyment is really subjective isn't it? :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No, it got "back" about $17 million. Only about 55% of the gross goes back to the studio. The theaters get to keep the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks