What's new

*** Official SHOOT 'EM UP Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My friend is a producer on Shoot 'Em Up and he was nice enough to invite me and my wife and two friends to the NYC premiere and after party tomorrow night. Should be a blast.

I think it looks like a lot of fun and has already received a number of good reviews basically stating that it's a 82 minute non stop action film.

I'll check in with my thoughts on the film Thursday, since it's gonna be a late night.;)

Anyone else looking forward to this film?

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Tino,

I have been looking forward to this for a while now based on the cast alone. I'm a fellow New Yorker, so maybe I'll see you there? I've been known to show up at these events from time to time. And yes - it will be a VERY late night!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Man - it took me a while to remember how to get that banana dancing!

Anyway - looking forward to your thoughts on the film.

Cheers,

Jason

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well Jason, if you see a big bald guy with a beautiful thin blonde woman, that's me. Don't be shy and say hello.:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Me!

Love having no hair too. Saving a fortune on combs and brushes.;)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I really like the look of this movie from the TV ads. Looks crazy, over-the-top and me likes a crazy, over-the-top movie every once in awhile.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I saw an advance screening two weeks ago, and Jordan_E has it nailed: crazy, over the top. The ads do the movie justice.

Anybody who wants their movies to be either serious, or realistic, should just stay home. Everybody else, sit back and enjoy!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm looking forward to watching this film because I missed seeing Monica on the big screen.:)

Crawdaddy

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Tino, when do you want to leave for the premier. You said "two friends" and I am free that night and a fellow New Jerseyian. Seriously, that premier sounds awesome. I am also looking forward to seeing the movie. Enjoy!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Shoot 'Em Up". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Shoot 'Em Up" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What a BLAST!

Both the film and the after party.:)

First the film:

As has been mentioned previously, Shoot 'em Up is riot from start to finish. It is an endless supply of over the top shootouts with very little in terms of plot or logic but loads of one liners and spectacular gunplay acrobatics.

Clive Owen is great as the lead "Mr. Smith". Deadpan and intense and angry at everything...well almost everything. Paul Giamatti is hilarious as the henpecked villain with a nonstop supply of amusing retorts to every situation. And the beautiful Monica Belucci adds very welcome eye candy to the suuroundings.

Loud, noisy, over the top, ridiculous and a blast (;)) from start to finish!

The Party:

The premiere was held at the Regal cinemas Union Square theatre. We had assigned seats and party passes waiting for us when we arrived (almost late btw, damn Lincoln Tunnel traffic!).

In the lobby was the press, the producers and the stars all hanging out. Once inside the theater, the films Director, Michael davis addressed the audience and thanked his producers, stars, and crew all of whom were in attendance. Then the film started and the packed house had a great time, even applauding after some scenes.

The party was held at the Bowery Hotel, an elegant new establishment in the heart of NYC's Bowery. Inside we were treated to full open bar and more food than you can imagine.

I was lucky enough to meet Miss Beluuci and actually converse with her in Italian. Crawdaddy, she is even more beautiful in person than she is in film if you can believe that. I also met with Paul Giamatti whom my wife really adores and she was thrilled to meet him, her highlight of the night. And of course Clive Owen who is as cool in person as he is in the film.

Throughout the night, I just bounced around meeting and talking to various producers, New Line people and and crew. Everyone was extremely cool. I was there courtesy of my friend Rick with my wife and my nephew (BIG movie fan) and his fiance and also my friend Darren Lemke, himself a writer/director...check out his film LOST starring Dean Cain...it's a great little thriller available from netflix and blockbuster.

Toward the end of the night, my wife and I actually hung out a bit with the Director, who bestowed praises again on his stars and crew. He was especially happy to hear my wife compliment him on his chice of songs for the film, which he said a lot of effort went into. Great guy.

All in all it was a very cool night for this film fan!:):)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Tino,
Great writeup. Sounds like a special once-in-a-lifetime event. Meeting some great (and beautiful) actors, chatting with a director, and getting free food.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the writeup and looking forward to seeing this either tomorrow or on Saturday.

Crawdaddy

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I watched the trailer for this today, and I think I'll give it a go when it comes to town (small town, don't get everything on time! :frowning:). I think I'll either love it or hate it, based on what I saw in the trailer. There are some over the top crazy action flicks I've hated (Crank), and some I've really enjoyed (Live Free or Die Hard), so it's hard to say what I'll think about it.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I think what helps Shoot 'Em Up is that it has a solid hero that you can get behind. I saw it with a friend who hated Sin City and Grindhouse (both parts), but enjoyed this, even though it features a lot of the same kind of unrelenting violence. She put it down to Clive Owen's Mr. Smith.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Saw this today and it was gloriously over the top. It was like an old WB brought to life with Clive as Bugs and Paul as Elmer/Yosemite.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this today too, I agree with all the comments, and the WB comparison! It was a riot and I was laughing at all the outlandish events, and that's a good outlandish!

One of the better stunts was the bedroom sequence, felt like a cliche James Bond sequence taken to the extreme! The ending quip was okay though

And I liked the use of the cars and Clive Owen, if it was meant as a subtle joke, and I think it was!

I got the sense that this film is not being very well promoted. The crowd was really small, but filled about 1/3 full at start time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks