What's new

Official Oscars 2022 Nominations And Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here are the 2022 Oscar Nominations.

Best Picture

“Belfast”
“CODA”
“Don’t Look Up”
“Drive My Car”
“Dune”
“King Richard”
“Licorice Pizza”
“Nightmare Alley”
“The Power of the Dog”
“West “Side Story”

Best Director

Kenneth Branagh, “Belfast”
Ryusuke Hamaguchi, “Drive My Car”
Paul Thomas Anderson, “Licorice Pizza”
Jane Campion, “The Power of the Dog”
Steven Spielberg, “West Side Story”

Best Actor

Javier Bardem, “Being the Ricardos”
Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Power of the Dog”
Andrew Garfield, “Tick, Tick, Boom”
Will Smith, “King Richard”
Denzel Washington, “The Tragedy of Macbeth”

Best Actress

Jessica Chastain, “The Eyes of Tammy Faye”
Olivia Colman, “The Lost Daughter”
Penelope Cruz, “Parallel Mothers”
Nicole Kidman, “Being the Ricardos”
Kristen Stewart, “Spencer”

Best Supporting Actor

Ciarán Hinds, “Belfast”
Troy Kotsur, “CODA”
Jesse Plemons, “The Power of the Dog”
JK Simmons, “Being the Ricardos”
Kodi Smit-McPhee, “The Power of the Dog”

Best Supporting Actress

Jessie Buckley, “The Lost Daughter”
Ariana DeBose, “West Side Story”
Judi Dench, “Belfast”
Kirsten Dunst, “The Power of the Dog”
Aunjanue Ellis, “King Richard”

Best Adapted Screenplay

“CODA,” Sian Heder
“Drive My Car,” Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Takamasa Oe
“Dune,” Jon Spaihts and Denis Villeneuve and Eric Roth
“The Lost Daughter,” Maggie Gyllenhaal
“The Power of the Dog,” Jane Campion

Best Original Screenplay

“Belfast,” Kenneth Branagh
“Don’t Look Up,” Adam McKay, Story by McKay and David Sirota
“King Richard,” Zack Baylin
“Licorice Pizza,” Paul Thomas Anderson
“The Worst Person in the World,” Eskil Vogt and Joachim Trier

Best Animated Feature

“Encanto”
“Flee”
“Luca”
“The Mitchells vs. the Machines”
“Raya and the Last Dragon”

Best Animated Short

“Affairs of the Art”
“Bestia”
“Boxballet”
“Robin Robin”
“The Windshield Wiper”

Best Live Action Short

“Ala Kachuu- Take and Run”
“The Dress”
“The Long Goodbye”
“On My Mind”
“Please Hold”

Best Cinematography

“Dune”
“Nightmare Alley”
“The Power of the Dog”
“The Tragedy of Macbeth”
“West Side Story”

Best Costume Design

“Cruella”
“Cyrano”
“Dune”
“Nightmare Alley”
“West Side Story”

Best Documentary Feature

“Ascension”
“Attica”
“Flee”
“Summer of Soul”
“Writing with Fire”

Best Documentary Short Subject

“Audible”
“Lead Me Home”
“The Queen of Basketball”
“Three Songs for Benazir”
“When We Were Bullies”

Best Editing

“Don’t Look Up”
“Dune”
“King Richard”
“The Power of the Dog”
“Tick, Tick, Boom”

Best International Feature Film

“Drive My Car”
“Flee”
“The Hand of God”
“Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom”
“The Worst Person in the World”

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

“Coming 2 America”
“Cruella”
“Dune”
“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”
“House of Gucci”

Best Production Design

“Dune”
“Nightmare Alley”
“The Power of the Dog”
“The Tragedy of Macbeth”
“West Side Story”

Best Original Score

“Don’t Look Up”
“Dune”
“Encanto”
“Parallel Mothers”
“The Power of the Dog”

Best Original Song

“Be Alive” from “King Richard”
“Dos Oruguitas” from “Encanto”
“Down to Joy” from “Belfast”
“No Time to Die” from “No Time to Die”
“Somehow You Do” from “Four Good Days”

Best Sound

“Belfast”
“Dune”
“No Time to Die”
“The Power of the Dog”
“West Side Story”

Best Visual Effects

“Dune”
“Free Guy”
“No Time to Die”
“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings”
“Spider-Man: No Way Home”

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Denis Villeneuve being omitted from Best Director is completely ridiculous. That's the one I am really surprised about especially considering the broad support for Dune elsewhere in the nominations.

Ryusuke Hamaguchi for Drive My Car is the unexpected one in that category, so it seems pretty clear that he took the spot Villeneuve was expected to get.

To be clear, I'm not making a judgment about Hamaguchi or his film. I haven't seen Drive My Car yet. Just saying that Villeneuve was expected to be nominated there and should have been.

Also, I want to note that returning to the mandated number of ten nominees this year did not increase the number of big popular films that were nominated. Dune is the only Best Picture nominee to cross $100 million and it isn't even close. Of course, we don't really know what the reach of the streaming films is because Netflix and Apple only share the data that they want to share. I'm also not making a value judgment against any of the smaller films, many of which I like. I'm just making an observation that the strategy of expanding the number of nominees didn't let in anything huge. The ratings for the telecast this year are probably going to be very low again.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
NOMINATIONS BY FILM
(not including Shorts categories; 2 or more)

The Power of the Dog (Netflix) – 12
Dune (Warner Bros) – 10
Belfast (Focus Features) – 7
West Side Story (Disney) – 7
King Richard (Warner Bros) – 6
Don’t Look Up (Netflix) – 4
Drive My Car (Sideshow and Janus Films) – 4
Nightmare Alley (Searchlight) – 4
Being the Ricardos (Amazon Studios) – 3
CODA (Apple Original Films) – 3
Encanto (Disney) – 3
Flee (Neon) – 3
Licorice Pizza (MGM/United Artists Releasing) – 3
The Lost Daughter (Netflix) – 3
No Time to Die (MGM/United Artists Releasing) – 3
The Tragedy of Macbeth (Apple Original Films/A24) – 3
Cruella (Disney) – 2
The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Searchlight) – 2
Parallel Mothers (Sony Pictures Classics) – 2
Tck, Tick…Boom! (Netflix) – 2
The Worst Person in the World (Neon) – 2

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I personally would vote for….

Best Picture: West Side Story
Director: Steven Spielberg, West Side Story
Actor: Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
Actress: Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
Adapted Screenplay: Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
Original Screenplay: Kenneth Branagh, Belfast
Animated Feature: Raya and the Last Dragon
Documentary Feature: Summer of Soul
Cinematography: Ari Wegner, The Power of the Dog
Costume Design: Paul Tazewell, West Side Story
Editing: Sarah Broshar & Michael Kahn, West Side Story
Make-up and Hairstyling: The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Original Score: Hans Zimmer, Dune
Original Song: No Time to Die, Billie Eilish & Finneas O’Connell
Production Design: Tamara Deverell & Shane Vieau, Nightmare Alley
Sound: Dune
Visual Effects: Dune

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The actual nominations are pretty much in line with what was predicted.

BEING THE RICARDOS and TICK TICK BOOM was originally predicted to be nominated, but weren't.

What is most interesting is how the landscape for Oscars has changed. I remember Steven Spielberg wanting to ban streaming service films from being nominated. Now, they have become a sizable portion of the nominations. In fact, POWER OF THE DOG looks like the front-runner as it has continuously been praised by critics throughout the year.

Speaking of Spielberg, it's nice to see that he and WEST SIDE STORY were nominated. Really bad year for that film. It just didn't generate the box-office boom that it had expected to. I am not certain if that was due to a decreased movie-watching audience due to Covid or just lack of interest. I am still waiting to see that film and will blindly purchase once it's announced for 4k home release.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
What is most interesting is how the landscape for Oscars has changed. I remember Steven Spielberg wanting to ban streaming service films from being nominated.

You can't really ban the streaming service stuff now because basically all the pictures that would be Best Picture fodder are on and mostly get made because of streaming services. If you cut them out you would have a crap group of films left to choose from. Plus all of the really great directors are turning to the streaming services to make their pictures now really. It basically is what it is.

That is probably the best group of Best Picture nominations we have had in years and I have actually seen most of them.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
"We Don't Talk About Bruno" topping the billboard charts and not getting a nomination? Seems like they missed the mark there and it would probably have won if nominated.

I have only seen 3 of he BP nominations nd I really enjoyed all 3. If I was voting, it would be a tough choice between Power of the Dog and West Side Story.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And we wake up this morning to "Academy Award Nominated film, Coming 2 America" :D

No major controversies that I can see this early, though as Chris said above they seem to have nominated the wrong song from Encanto, at least as far as the public has indicated.

Very early out of the blue guesses: Belfast and The Power of The Dog clean up in the top categories. As a Spielberg film, West Side Story gets a couple of technical awards but none of the biggies (sort of the pattern with his films, lots of noms with 1 or 2 wins). I thought WSS would have more acting nods other than just DeBose.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You can't really ban the streaming service stuff now because basically all the pictures that would be Best Picture fodder are on and mostly get made because of streaming services. If you cut them out you would have a crap group of films left to choose from. Plus all of the really great directors are turning to the streaming services to make their pictures now really. It basically is what it is.

That is probably the best group of Best Picture nominations we have had in years and I have actually seen most of them.

Oh, completely understood, Reggie.

And for the record, I wasn't complaining. Just really crazy how things have changed.

Personally -- and I am sure I'll get crap for saying this -- I am happy streaming service films are being considered. I am not a theater-going individual. I go to the theater once every few years...if. So, to see the films I have watched in the convenience of my living room/theater via streaming services get nominated is a great thing. This is the first year I have seen almost all the nominated films. I just bought BELFAST this morning on digital as it was released today.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The only film I've seen from the main categories is 'The Hand of God' by Paolo Sorrentino, so I hope he wins again. I really want this on blu ray but as it's a Netflix film I don't expect a US/UK release. Maybe it will be released in Italy.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby

I think the mistake was to include them with theatrical releases. In general the quality (and budget) of streamed films is less than theatrical ones, perhaps a separate category. There is hardly any buzz for streamed films as most people consider them to be just 'content'. People are just not invested in them as they can watch for a few minutes and flick over to something else. The Academy continue to devalue the theatrical experience.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor

As long as nominated films still receive a theatrical release (even limited), I'm okay with it. I'm not okay with nominations for films totally unreleased to theaters.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think the mistake was to include them with theatrical releases. In general the quality (and budget) of streamed films is less than theatrical ones, perhaps a separate category. There is hardly any buzz for streamed films as most people consider them to be just 'content'. People are just not invested in them as they can watch for a few minutes and flick over to something else. The Academy continue to devalue the theatrical experience.

I don't think the Academy places any value on the theatrical experience to be honest. I mean a lot of their voters watch the films at home. So, it is not like they are going to a theater to see the pictures before they vote on them.

I don't think they should separate the streamers from theatrical at this stage. After the pandemic is over if they want to make it a requirement again that the films get shown in cinemas, great but 2020, 2021...these are basically lost years for cinemas. Coen, Campion, Scorsese, they have all accepted that streaming is a source of funding to get their pictures made. I don't think there is any kind of quality drop, there may be a drop in perception of the picture by people old enough to have mostly seen pictures in cinemas but younger people seem not to care at all about this. They seem much more into convenience over, let's go out to a cinema.

I know people that work making films and they never go to a cinema. They stream everything. I will say to them "Doesn't that diminish the experience and seeing a picture?" and they look at me like I am speaking some alien language.

Don't Look Up from what I have heard, can't say if it is true, is the most watched picture of the year. I watched it streaming. I don't think it lost much presentation wise as something I watched at home with the exception that watching a comedy with an audience tends to always be much more fun. I feel like had I watched it in a cinema with an audience I may have laughed more and enjoyed it more. Watching it alone at home...well...I feel I am just examining the film more than experiencing it. So, I am more likely to see the things I feel are flaws or that don't work.

Primary example for me, Chopping Mall, I saw that in a cinema when it came out in LA, it was a lousy movie but a hell of a lot of fun sitting in a cinema with an audience watching it. In fact I think you have not seen Chopping Mall unless you have seen it in a cinema with an audience.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Oh, completely understood, Reggie.

And for the record, I wasn't complaining. Just really crazy how things have changed.

Personally -- and I am sure I'll get crap for saying this -- I am happy streaming service films are being considered. I am not a theater-going individual. I go to the theater once every few years...if. So, to see the films I have watched in the convenience of my living room/theater via streaming services get nominated is a great thing. This is the first year I have seen almost all the nominated films. I just bought BELFAST this morning on digital as it was released today.

Yes, no knock against you, Ron. I think, particularly during the pandemic, it is a streaming world and we are all just living in it. I love going to a cinema and going to a bar or restaurant after. I just find that wonderful. However, I get it. Streaming is so much easier and costs far less than a night out.

I have actually surrendered to it. I am not fighting it and try to take the positives out of it. My wife really has not wanted to go, and she also loves a night out at the cinema, but now if I am talking to her about a movie her first question is "Can we watch it at home?"

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As long as nominated films still receive a theatrical release (even limited), I'm okay with it. I'm not okay with nominations for films totally unreleased to theaters.

I'd love to see every picture in a cinema first. In fact, I feel cheated if I don't. For the first time with a Coen picture, The Tragedy of Macbeth, I streamed it the first time I saw it. There just was not a cinema near me showing it. I enjoyed the film but felt sad about the fact I could not watch it in a theater. Now that is stuck in my head. I thought I would see a Coen picture in a theater every time. The streak has been broken.

Honestly, before I moved to my new house last April, my home theater was not set-up for streaming. Now it is. And I feel like I have to have it because certain things I can now only catch-up with streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks