TOP 10 FILMS OF 2021 (1 Viewer)

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Didn't see a thread for this.
I'll go first:
#10 A HERO (Asghar Farhadi) Amazon Prime. A masterful modern Neo-Realist drama
#9 FLEE (Jonas Poher Rasmussen) Hulu. Streaming rental. Sublimely moving tale of survival told as an animated Documentary. Nominated for 3 Oscars
#8 NIGHTMARE ALLEY (Guillermo Del Toro). HBO Max. Hulu Gorgeously mounted adaptation of William Gresham's novel. Stands with the 1947 version. 4 Oscar nominations including Best Picture
#7. THE MAN WHO SOLD HIS SKIN (Kaouther Ben Hania). Hulu. Kanopy. Hoopla - and streaming rental. Superb metaphor for our commodified times. A female Director to watch. Oscar nominee in 2020 for International film.
#6. POWER OF THE DOG (Jane Campion) Netflix. Literate and subtle period drama with Western trappings. Beautiful performances and strong on all production fronts. Nominated for 12 Oscars including Best Picture and all four main actors as well.
#5. PARALLEL MOTHERS (Pedro Almodovar) Streaming rental. Almodovar's heartfelt melodrama intertwining the stories of a pair of new mothers, their children and the arc of recent history in Spain. A exceptional Penelope Cruz is nominated for the Best Actress Oscar. As is Alberto Iglesias' for his strong film score.
#4. CYRANO (Joe Wright). Streaming rental and in theaters. Colorful musical adaptation of the famed story is anchored by a superb performance by Peter Dinklage, who does it without the famous big nose. Magnificent acting. Nominated for Best Costumes. Dinklage more than deserved a nom
#3. QUO VADIS, AIDA? (Jasmila Zbanic). Hulu, Kanopy and for rental. War as told on a very personal devastating level from a female perspective (Jasmila the Director, and star Jasna Djuricic). The intensity of the conflict is told on the battlefield, but within the soul. Nominated for the 2020 Best International Film Oscar.
#2. DRIVE MY CAR (Ryûsuke Hamaguchi). HBO Max. Engrossing meditative take on loss and forgiveness. Deceptively simple in it's telling, but compelling. Nominated for 4 Oscars including Best Picture and Best International Film.
#1. WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD(Joachim Trier). In theaters. Trier's witty and wise tale of a thirtiesh woman still trying to find herself is refreshing and original.
** A couple of notes. First, as with all years, I didn't get a chance to see everything I wanted to, but, it's March, so it's time. Movies like PETIT MAMAN and MEMORIA that I've seen on multiple lists still haven't been made available where I live, so they shall have to wait for an addendum down the road.
Second, I am following the Awards rules most abided by in 2020 where the 'year' was extended into this past February. So, movies like JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH, THE FATHER and BARB AND STAR GO TO MAR VISTA count as 2020 and not eligible. Here is the eligibility list I'm going by for the most part: https://www.thegoldknight.com/.../best-picture-eligible...
As always, I welcome your comments and your lists!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Didn't see a thread for this.
I'll go first:
#10 A HERO (Asghar Farhadi) Amazon Prime. A masterful modern Neo-Realist drama
#9 FLEE (Jonas Poher Rasmussen) Hulu. Streaming rental. Sublimely moving tale of survival told as an animated Documentary. Nominated for 3 Oscars
#8 NIGHTMARE ALLEY (Guillermo Del Toro). HBO Max. Hulu Gorgeously mounted adaptation of William Gresham's novel. Stands with the 1947 version. 4 Oscar nominations including Best Picture
#7. THE MAN WHO SOLD HIS SKIN (Kaouther Ben Hania). Hulu. Kanopy. Hoopla - and streaming rental. Superb metaphor for our commodified times. A female Director to watch. Oscar nominee in 2020 for International film.
#6. POWER OF THE DOG (Jane Campion) Netflix. Literate and subtle period drama with Western trappings. Beautiful performances and strong on all production fronts. Nominated for 12 Oscars including Best Picture and all four main actors as well.
#5. PARALLEL MOTHERS (Pedro Almodovar) Streaming rental. Almodovar's heartfelt melodrama intertwining the stories of a pair of new mothers, their children and the arc of recent history in Spain. A exceptional Penelope Cruz is nominated for the Best Actress Oscar. As is Alberto Iglesias' for his strong film score.
#4. CYRANO (Joe Wright). Streaming rental and in theaters. Colorful musical adaptation of the famed story is anchored by a superb performance by Peter Dinklage, who does it without the famous big nose. Magnificent acting. Nominated for Best Costumes. Dinklage more than deserved a nom
#3. QUO VADIS, AIDA? (Jasmila Zbanic). Hulu, Kanopy and for rental. War as told on a very personal devastating level from a female perspective (Jasmila the Director, and star Jasna Djuricic). The intensity of the conflict is told on the battlefield, but within the soul. Nominated for the 2020 Best International Film Oscar.
#2. DRIVE MY CAR (Ryûsuke Hamaguchi). HBO Max. Engrossing meditative take on loss and forgiveness. Deceptively simple in it's telling, but compelling. Nominated for 4 Oscars including Best Picture and Best International Film.
#1. WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD(Joachim Trier). In theaters. Trier's witty and wise tale of a thirtiesh woman still trying to find herself is refreshing and original.
** A couple of notes. First, as with all years, I didn't get a chance to see everything I wanted to, but, it's March, so it's time. Movies like PETIT MAMAN and MEMORIA that I've seen on multiple lists still haven't been made available where I live, so they shall have to wait for an addendum down the road.
Second, I am following the Awards rules most abided by in 2020 where the 'year' was extended into this past February. So, movies like JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH, THE FATHER and BARB AND STAR GO TO MAR VISTA count as 2020 and not eligible. Here is the eligibility list I'm going by for the most part: https://www.thegoldknight.com/.../best-picture-eligible...
As always, I welcome your comments and your lists!
Quo Vadis, Aida?, and The Man Who Sold His Skin are excellent films, but they were nominated for the Oscar's ceremony last year.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
2021: my top 25+ movies

West Side Story: A+
Nightmare Alley: A
Dune: A
The Power of the Dog: A
Belfast: A
The Tragedy of Macbeth: A
Skyfall: A-
Raya and Last Dragon: A-
Luca: A-
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: A-
Poupelle of Chimney Town: A-
The Night House: A-
Eternals: A-
The Courier: A-
Respect: A-
Benedetta: A-
Demon Slayer: A-
In the Heights: A-
The Green Knight: A-
Joe Bell: A-
A Journal for Jourdan: A-
Encanto: A-
The Card Counter: A-
House of Gucci: B+
12 Mighty Orphans: B+
The Eyes of Tammy Faye: B+
Cyrano: B+

Reactions: PMF

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Quo Vadis, Aida?, and The Man Who Sold His Skin are excellent films, but they were nominated for the Oscar's ceremony last year.
As I noted in my post, I go by the Awards qualifying year in the link. Different eligiblity for Foreign Films. ANOTHER ROUND and COLLECTIVE were eligible in 2020, the other three weren't including the two I cited.
Right now, the other four nominees are eligible, but LUNANA A YAK IN THE CLASSROOM is not. It didn't get released until February. Well past the December deadline

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
898CDB50-1C34-453D-B372-EFE3B9AAA14E.jpeg

I’m so behind on my movies for the last two years. I’m currently working on catching up. But here’s my top 12 as it stands.
Bottom three:
Eternals
Raya and the Last Dragon
Things Heard and Seen

mosesSupposes

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Goodrum
Here are ten films I have been particularly grateful to see in a cinema since I first returned in July 2021.

In reverse alphabetical order:

West Side Story (2021)
Titane
Summer of Soul
The Rescue
Licorice Pizza
The Green Knight
The Godfather (current restoration)
Dune Part 1
The Card Counter
The Beatles: Get Back - The Rooftop Concert

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I like that like an official statement you made a picture of it so no one can tinker with it. :)
Haha, I just have gotten in the habit of making Letterboxd lists, so when I need a top/bottom list, I can just do a screenshot now.

rmnich

Grip
Real Name
Roman
2021: my top 25+ movies

West Side Story: A+
Nightmare Alley: A
Dune: A
The Power of the Dog: A
Belfast: A
The Tragedy of Macbeth: A
Skyfall: A-
Raya and Last Dragon: A-
Luca: A-
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: A-
Poupelle of Chimney Town: A-
The Night House: A-
Eternals: A-
The Courier: A-
Respect: A-
Benedetta: A-
Demon Slayer: A-
In the Heights: A-
The Green Knight: A-
Joe Bell: A-
A Journal for Jourdan: A-
Encanto: A-
The Card Counter: A-
House of Gucci: B+
12 Mighty Orphans: B+
The Eyes of Tammy Faye: B+
Cyrano: B+
Skyfall????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks