What's new

Official Oscars 2022 Nominations And Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Where was this?

I've always wondered, since Cabaret won 8 Academy Awards, the most ever for a film that didn't also win Best Picture, how close the vote might've been in that category.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Where was this?

I've always wondered, since Cabaret won 8 Academy Awards, the most ever for a film that didn't also win Best Picture, how close the vote might've been in that category.
It was at my local Landmark owned theater this month they are showing classic musicals on Tuesdays. Last week was The Wizard Of Oz, last night Cabaret, next week Mamma Mia, and the following week Grease.

It looked and sounded excellent.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone think Mamma Mia is a classic musical? Serious question.
I've never seen the movie but I imagine that the movie's fans already call it a classic and they will continue to call it that so it'll eventually be something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. It seems like "classic" now means any movie that's old and people still remember.

EDIT: Deleted a chunk of the post since I thought Wayne was saying those movies were on TCM. After nearly 40,000 posts, you'd think I'd have learned how to read. :laugh:

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Will Smith violently, physically assaulted another man live on TV in front of millions then verbally assaulted him! Where was the security that should have rushed the stage to se if Chris Rock was OK? And he WS should have been removed immediately as Wanda Sykes said it was sickening. I blame the Academy for this just as much as WS at this point. I don’t believe they ever asked him to leave. No one has footage of him being approached by them AFAIK. Instead he was being coddled by his fellow clueless elites. I feel very sorry for the Williams family as he ruined all good will (no pun intended) to see their movie now. I know I for one will never watch it unless it’s free on a airplane maybe. From the clip I saw it doesn’t look like I’ll be missing much either.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
They can ban people from getting nominated? That doesn't sound right.
They can’t but with the exception of the movies completed for this year who would ever want to hire him again so he can get nominated? He’s as they say box office poison for now. He’s worse than Elia Kazan and Ingrid Bergman combined -weren’t they banned?
At this point the Oscars are done- no need for this ancient right of passing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone think Mamma Mia is a classic musical? Serious question.

Oh man, that movie has a large contingent of diehard fans, and they clearly view it that way.

It's one of the worst-made "A"-list films I've ever seen - just directorial incompetence on a level one doesn't see for big studio films too often.

But lots of people love it!

I think Streep should lose at least one Oscar just for that painful "DO YOU WANT ANOTHER ONE?!?!" bit during the end credits! :D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Speaking of vote tallies, I think that when each of the awards are presented and the quintuple box of nominees is shown, a bar graph should climb showing the votes received by date from the opening to the closing of the voting window. Then we could speculate on what caused a spike or a dip on a given date. Far more interactive, and far tougher on the nominees, who could literally watch their fortunes rise and fall over ther course of 15-20 seconds.

Tell me that wouldn't be genius.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Death threats seem to be many wackos' "go to" these days if they're offended by something. Very sad.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The same theater that is playing musicals this month has this lined up for May:

RETRO REPLAY: May Is For Mothers

Tuesdays, May 3 - 31 at Spectrum 8 Theatres!

May 3: PSYCHO (1960)

May 10: MILDRED PIERCE (1945)

May 17: ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)

May 24: MOMMIE DEAREST (1981)

May 31: SERIAL MOM (1994)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps not a traditional list of movies about ma but that's a good lineup nonetheless.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

Hopefully, any subscription ticket holders who are first-time expectant mothers won’t misinterpret this package of films as a check-list of suggestions on how to parent a child.:D

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I thought I'd share a few lines from an article I read about the Oscars:

--The Academy should fold its tent and go back to making apple strudel or whatever they can do well. They're a disgrace.

--I wish there was an award you can believe in again. The Oscar has become a political gesture or a business gesture. It didn't used to be that way.

--It was an elephantine extravaganza, most of which would have closed in New Haven.

--It was one of the longest, dreariest Oscar presentations ever.

--How did such a lightweight picture win the top prize?

--Was the evening's shocking moment staged or a lame idea designed for attention?

--It was long. There was no theme, no pace, scant entertainment value, and a general lack of big name movie star presenters.

--Oscar proved he knows how to honor the movie makers, but still doesn't know how to stage an award show. Someday, hopefully, someone will turn up who knows how to put on a show worth watching.

Now for the revelation. The envelope please: That article was written in 1974 after the Oscars that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks