What's new

Official HTF HD Review: Hot Fuzz (HIGHLY Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this isn't the right place for this, but I don't know where is. I'm now up to four copies of Hot Fuzz now that have all been scratched to various degrees. I am the only having this problem, or I am just extraordinarily perceptive? Its very frustrating. All I want is to buy an undamaged product.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Sorry to hear about the bad luck with four "Hot Fuzz" combos.:eek:
Received mine on 7/31 from Amazon and no scratches. Played it 3 times in HD, with no problems or glitches.
Great comedy!:cool: Hope your luck changes soon.

Paul

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Paul, where did you purchase your Hot Fuzz HD DVD from? Mine have come from Amazon. Maybe they got a bad batch?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Paul, sorry to hear of your problems with securing an undamaged disk. I think this is the right place to talk about disk issues related to this release. My copy has a scratch, but luckily it played with no issues (purchased from Amazon). You are missing out on a great British comedy. I certainly wish you good luck on getting an undamaged copy.

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
The SD DVD version is fantastic as well. I agree with the reviewer that the sound is excellent. I would give it a 5+ as well. Just finished watching this a little bit ago tonight and it woke up my roommate with all the LFE!

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Yes. I have trouble with Universal combo's too.

"HOLLYWOODLAND", "CHILDREN OF MEN", "GOOD SHEPHERD" and now "HOT FUZZ". All of them were scratched at least a little bit. I think it is probably the paper inserts or security tags that scratch the discs in transit. Hope you are lucky next time. All mine play fine but it is annoying getting scratched "new" discs.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for sharing that. I thought I was losing my mind. Scratched discs are a major pet peeve of mine. I guess I've carried this neurosis over from my days of collecting comic books, etc. Although being extremely anal about the condition of my movies always pays off when it is time to resell them or trade them in.

That being said, I never did find a scratch-free copy of this, so I gave up and rented it. I enjoyed the movie, but it was no Shaun of the Dead. I guess I had unrealistic expectations, but to me Shaun is a masterpiece of comedic and dramatic moments seemlessly integrated into one film. Hot Fuzz is more of a 'pay-off' film. I guess in the end, I felt the 'pay-off' wasn't enough. Additionally, I do not care for, nor have I seen a lot of the films being spoofed in Hot Fuzz, where as I am a huge horror fan, so that undoubtedly affected my judgement as well.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

I'll happily admit to being anal about the condition of things I buy. Its one thing for them to be damaged in time by me, but I don't like stuff to be knocked up when I receive it. Yes, I'm one of those folk who sifts through slipcovers looking for the one without dings, etc.

Having said that, I do not examine the surface of discs I buy. I believe if you try, you can always find some marks. If the disc plays fine and doesn't have anything hugely wrong with the surface, that's fine by me.

Paul, perhaps you are setting your standards a little too high when it comes to the condition of your discs?

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Infact I just got out my HD-DVD copy of "AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON" and the whole disc is "cloudy" and "milky". I won't play either...

Before you can say "disc rot" I am beginning to worry...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Norris, you may be onto something with Universal. I wonder if they're using a different replicating facility than Warner Bros. for their Combo Format discs. I had loads of problems with their DVD-18s, and now it seems as if their Combo Format discs are suffering from lapses in QA in the form of scratches, fingerprints, and, potentially, poorly pressed discs. :frowning: I'm merely theorizing here, but I find it odd that I received my first Warner Bros. Combo Format discs as a result of the recent Amazon HD DVD player sale, and they were all unblemished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks