Official HTF HD Review: Hot Fuzz (HIGHLY Recommended!)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Sam Posten, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    [​IMG]

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Sounds awesome. This flick has been on my radar for a long time and I will be stopping off on the way home from work to pick it up. Can't wait.

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

If Combo Format wasn't my only HD option, I would definitely blind-buy this. As it stand now, I won't. Its become a matter of principle for me.

4. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I wish I liked the film better as I would have bought it in a heartbeat, as I did with Shaun Of The Dead.

Since I thought it was waaaaay overrated, I think I'll just rent it first to see if it improved any in my mind. If it does, I'll buy it.

5. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Thanks for the Review! I was worried that there could have been some slouching on the audio and video quality given that this is a primarily a comedy and they're not always given the highest consideration. Great to see they gave this release the polish it deserves the first time around.

6. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Thanks for the review!

I'm the opposite of Paul; since I don't have a HD DVD player yet, I'm happy that I can enjoy the film now and not have to buy it twice if it turns out I like it enough to warrant the upgrade in image and sound quality, as I will have to with many other titles.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Paul, I'm there with you on the Combo issue. Universal have clearly chosen to release EVERY new release in Combo format so you can basically forget any of their releases until either they change or you do. Shop around and I bet you can get this title very reasonably. The more Combo disks get sold, the cheaper the format gets for everyone, hate to sound defeatist or like a shill, but it's sad but true!

8. Paul Arnette

Sam, I think may troll the used sections of sites like this one for a bit first. That way I'm bound to get it cheaper, and I don't feel like I contributed to the problem (as much). [​IMG]

9. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I recieved my copy over the weekend and had no time to watch it. As I am travelling this week, I took it along, and because of the Combo nature of the release, will be able to watch it on my Portable DVD player some time this week. If it isn't evident, I have no issue at all with the Combos, as long as they are restricted to new releases only. Universal is doing the right thing here, IMO.

Now to the review. What can I say, Sam, another fine review. This is one of my favorite films of the last 6 or 7 months and I am glad to hear that Universal has done it right. First Dante's Peak, and now Hot Fuzz. Here's hoping Shaun of the Dead also gets this type of first class treatment.

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Watching Shaun late tonight =)

11. Archangel

Archangel Agent

If I can find it at the right price I may pick it up on a blind buy.

12. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    I watched this last night and loved every bloody minute of it. Absolutely hilarious and totally British, through and through!

I had a silly grin on my face the whole time watching this, it made me feel like I was back home in the UK. So funny! I can't type out my favorite line, however, as I don't wish to be crude in this thread. Suffice to say, like Sam, I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who loves a laugh!

Neil

13. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I am all for the combo formats. I have not experienced one single issue with them and I am willing to pay the extra $4 on it because then I can use it in my portable dvd player, and in the car, and I can let my bluray buddy borrow it to watch the DVD side.

I think to boycott the title simply because it is a combo is a bit crazy since Uni is the only HDDVD exclusive studio, and the one studio that purchases would seriously help the format.

But to each his own. I have a need for the combo discs and only have one HD player in the house.

I also watched the first 10 mins of the movie last night just to see what the PQ was like (considering all the clamouring I have heard about it)...one word...WOW.

On my 92" screen with my Optoma HD70 it looks mindboggling. It is as sharp if not sharper than Corpse Bride. And for a live action movie that is saying something.

Hats off to the film makers as they have put a lot of effort into this disc and I hope it becomes a best seller and a benchmark for future releases. Uni, please think of this disc when Knocked Up is released.

14. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I totally concur with the review and your assessment of Combo discs-- I'm going on a family vacation and bringing 300 and HOT FUZZ with me and happy to be able to view the standard-DVD side while away from my home theater.

My only beef is that the audio on the extras -- at least through my Xbox 360 add-on -- seems very low. I had to crank the audio WAY up to hear "The Man Who Would Be Fuzz" and the outtakes, which sound fine on the regular DVD side. This could be just an Xbox player anomaly, though.

If Universal can cram a HD-DVD full of extras, why does Paramount leave off content from the forthcoming FACE/OFF HD-DVD?

Also, has anyone seen the SHAUN OF THE DEAD HD-DVD? I'm on the fence about it-- the PQ on the standard-def DVD looks good upscaled and I don't really want to spend $20 for a hair's-breadth difference in sharpness and clarity.

15. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Thanks for the nice review Sam. Your enthusiasm for the disc comes through loud and clear!

I don't think its been mentioned yet, but there is a 30 minute featurette devoted to the guys US promotional tour. This is only on the DVD side, so be sure to check it out!

The one issue I have with what is in some ways a dream disc (quality film presentation, no nasty omissions on the extras) is that when you watch for example one of the trailers on the HD side, it takes so long to get back to the menu! Watch a 30-second trailer, and then spend about the same time getting back to the menu. For this reason, I would watch whatever extras are on the DVD side first, as you will be able to get through them much more quickly, then watch the HD side-only ones afterwards.

Can't wait to watch this and dive into the extras. With this, Shaun, 300 and Darkman in one week, its an embarrassment of HD DVD riches! [​IMG]

16. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Yes - I'm very sceptical about the "space issues" that seem to preclude equal releases across both formats.

17. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Paul, I wouldn't let the fact that its a combo deprive you of the fun of a film you want to see.

Good luck finding a price you can live with, so you can enjoy the disc!

I personally have no problem with combos.

18. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I have no problem at all with someone not buying the disk because it is a Combo, but I think most protests are coming from people that don't even own or buy HD DVD disks. [​IMG]

Paul is of course excluded from the above comment.[​IMG]

19. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Thanks for review Sam, I have just ordered mine today.. Can't wait for this one.. [​IMG]

20. Paul Arnette

lol Thanks for the exclusion. [​IMG] I do buy HD DVDs every now and then.

Actually, lately I've been buying more than usual because there are finally some Univesal titles of interest to me (e.g. Streets of Fire (though that didn't turn out so well for me personally [​IMG]), Being John Malkovich, and Shaun of the Dead, as well as Dawn of the Dead and Heroes pre-orders).

I did break down and buy this title just a few minutes ago. Its received such positive word-of-mouth both as a film and a HD DVD I couldn't resist any longer. But I would really prefer the option to buy an HD DVD only version of the film. I don't travel much, and when I do the last thing my wife is going to let me do is watch more movies. [​IMG]