What's new

NFL 2008 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I can remember a friend of mine thought the Lions would win that game, after they had finished that season with 6 straight wins.

I think Favre has won only 2 games against the Cowboys, and probably would have won another, had he decided to play another season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Chad Henne would be a good target for the Falcons. I think he's going to be a decent pro QB. Lots of poise, started 4 years at Michigan, very accurate arm, and intelligent. He will probably go sometime in the 2nd round.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Another of Scott's favorite Lions, Boss Bailey, has signed with Denver and will play with his brother Champ.

A 5-year deal worth $17.5 million and a $4.3 million dollar signing bonus.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'm having a more difficult time each year finding a Lions fan who I can bet with around here. Nobody will bite on a over/under on wins this season. I do not see them winning more than 5 games, and could be convinced to lower it to four.

The team resigned RT George Foster this past weekend. This is the same guy who lost his starting job last year and was on the inactive list late in the season because he was so bad. Now he's being projected as the starting right tackle. :confused: It's difficult to believe, but the offensive line will actually be worse in 2008 than it was last season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Wonderful. So, within a few days, Millen re-signed both players he got from Denver for Dre Bly -- both of whom were on the inactive list much of the 2nd half of last season because of poor performance.

I'm surprised they didn't sign Dunn or Michael Pittman, since this off season almost all the signees have been former Tampa players. Rumor was that Leroy Selmon was even in town for a tryout. :laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Lions may not have much of a choice. I can't imagine there's a huge rush of players pounding their door down, wanting to play for them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'm sure that's the case, and the team has to overpay to either get free agents to come here or keep their few decent players around (Corey Redding, for example). Many players can't wait to go elsewhere and get out of this pathetically-run organization. Heck, the organization drove Barry Sanders into early retirement, due to his frustration with their ineptness, when he was on the brink of becoming the NFL's all-time career rusher.

Still, re-signing two players who each performed so poorly last season that they were placed on the inactive list is an embarrassment.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I heard this as well, and I'm surprised for a few reasons. The biggest surprise is that I did not think a team could release a player under contract who is injured. Jones is still recovering from knee surgery. Second, they are not saving much salary cap space with this move, since Jones is in the final year of his contract and only counts $2.5 million against the cap. Whoever they sign to replace him will probably count for only a little less.

So, another Millen first round draft pick is gone. Nice job, Matt!

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
You can't put a player on IR during the season then cut him. The Lions are now bringing in former Bucaneer Michael Pittman....what a &&*%##& joke.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Releasing Kalimba Edwards makes another wasted Millen draft pick (2nd round), as well as a wasted resigning. Edwards was terrible, yet he was resigned last off season and given a nice signing bonus. Then, a year later, he's cut.

I'm not surprised... he IS from Tampa, after all, and that's now a requirement for any Millen / Marinelli signings.

I didn't think this team could become any more of a joke, but I was wrong. This off season has been incredibly bad, even by Lions standards.

To top it off, Millen will probably now draft RB Jonathan Stewart in the first round. He's a perfect Millen pick, since he needs toe surgery and will be out for 4-6 months. Meanwhile, another year will go by without building the offensive line.

Now, if Millen was smart, he would try to trade down in the first round, and take a lineman and RB Felix Jones. Since he's not, though, he'll end up with another player with a history of injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks