What's new

2023-2024 NFL Season (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched a little college football last evening. We dumped cable TV back in the spring, and are using YouTube TV for our live TV viewing now. They added an option called multi-view that I tried last night. They group certain games together into a single screen, with either two or four games on the screen. You can move between the games with your remote's arrow buttons to select which game's audio is played, or press the enter button to change the highlighted game to a single, full screen view. Then hitting the back button gets you back to the multi-view screen. It provides a pretty slick way to switch between games.

The feature has some promise, and I think they will be offering it as part of the NFL Sunday Ticket package (I am not subscribing to that). Unfortunately, you cannot select which games to group together -- they are pre-defined. I was flipping between the Nebraska - Minnesota and Florida - Utah games, and those two were not offered together in MV -- although each was part of other MV groups.

I am not sure if this will be offered for regular local Sunday NFL broadcasts, where two games are being telecast simultaneously.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Burrow is claiming he’s ready to go for the opener. I figured he’d play, but the game of the coach being tight-lipped about his status had to be played.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The feature has some promise, and I think they will be offering it as part of the NFL Sunday Ticket package (I am not subscribing to that). Unfortunately, you cannot select which games to group together -- they are pre-defined. I was flipping between the Nebraska - Minnesota and Florida - Utah games, and those two were not offered together in MV -- although each was part of other MV groups.

Sounds like they were split between the different networks. Nebraska/Minnesota was on Fox, while Florida/Utah was on ESPN.

The ESPN app used to have that feature, but I think that was when they had separate apps for watching and news/scores.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Seeing a lot of people online upset about the new college rule of not stopping the clock to reset the chains on first down (outside of two minutes).

I'm not particularly bothered by it, other than the possibility that the networks are just making the commercial breaks longer instead. What I do find funny are the folks complaining about fewer plays and less scoring -- on a weekend where Oregon dropped 81 points on a team. I don't care how bad that other team is, I can't find evidence of any FBS team scoring 80+ in at least the last three years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seeing a lot of people online upset about the new college rule of not stopping the clock to reset the chains on first down (outside of two minutes).
I never really understood why they did that, anyway. Are the people marking the chains not as competent as their counterparts in the NFL and need more time?

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I never really understood why they did that, anyway. Are the people marking the chains not as competent as their counterparts in the NFL and need more time?

From what I can tell...that was probably the answer at the time. The rule had only been around since 1967 -- I'm sure plenty of people thought it was a relic of the pre-forward pass days.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'm not particularly bothered by it, other than the possibility that the networks are just making the commercial breaks longer instead. What I do find funny are the folks complaining about fewer plays and less scoring -- on a weekend where Oregon dropped 81 points on a team. I don't care how bad that other team is, I can't find evidence of any FBS team scoring 80+ in at least the last three years.
The NCAA had to do something to shorten the games. With these big TV contracts, all the additional commercial timeouts have made the games unbearably long. This just means there will be fewer plays, so we are getting less football for our money. At least when watching at home, we can flip the channel or take a bathroom / beverage break during the commercial timeouts. The poor people paying big money to attend the games in person are stuck sitting in the stands during these frequent and sometimes ridiculously long timeouts. It's one of several reasons why I have no desire to attend any more Michigan games.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I saw the Vegas line for tonight’s game on one site- Chiefs favored by 6-1/2. Seems that the odds makers aren’t quite on board with the Lions just yet.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Crap. Thunderstorms in the area seem to have knocked the local NBC affiliate off the air (at least on my cable system), so it looks like I'm going to miss at least part of the game tonight. Plus, Spectrum is still in a dispute with Disney, so I may miss MNF too, as ESPN is currently off the air here. :(

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Crap. Thunderstorms in the area seem to have knocked the local NBC affiliate off the air (at least on my cable system), so it looks like I'm going to miss at least part of the game tonight. Plus, Spectrum is still in a dispute with Disney, so I may miss MNF too, as ESPN is currently off the air here. :(
If you have Peacock, tonight's game is on there, too.

The Spectrum - Disney battle sounds like it may last for awhile, as both sides are digging in their heels. Spectrum may even move away from offering TV. May be time to consider alternatives.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks, but I don't. Odd that all the local nets here are off the air except CBS (NBC, ABC, FOX, all off).

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Thanks, but I don't. Odd that all the local nets here are off the air except CBS (NBC, ABC, FOX, all off).

If you don't mind hearing the game in Spanish, it's also on Universo. (Assuming you have that channel in your cable package.) I had to resort to that a couple of years ago when the local NBC affiliate was in a dispute with Verizon.

If it's just a problem with the cable company, but the channel itself is still broadcasting, there is a trick where you can put a paper clip in the coax plug of your TV and it will pick up over-the-air channels.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks. ABC is still on (usually, off at the moment likely because of the weather) as it's an affiliate station and not Disney-owned, I guess.

Found Universo, but that's also off. Not sure if that's the weather or if it's just not part of my cable package.

Too far away from the transmitter to get an over-the-air signal for NBC. Will just have to keep track with online score updates, I guess. Hopefully things are back up by Sunday/Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks