What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I came here to post the Superfriends news, Matt beat me to it !

I'm still hoping for an announcement of the wide release of 1979
World's Greatest Superfriends episodes, as i've had no luck finding
that disc in the Target stores here in Canada.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I put a post on the WAC Facebook page noting the release of Superboy Season 3, and requesting that they also release the 1960s Superboy cartoons. WAC responded by saying that if those cartoons are released, it will have to come from WHV, not WAC. Although I was very pleased that WAC responded, I found that response frustrating, and I imagine that it may be the same for the 1960s series, the Adventures of Batman. In both cases, it's frustrating because I would think that either Superboy or the Adventures of Batman could be a very successful WAC release, but whether they could sell enough copies to be a successful WHV release I don't know. I wish that, rather than deciding that certain franchises can only be released by WHV, Warner would look at the library for those franchises on more a case by case basis.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
derosa said:
The 1981-82 season
Thanks for letting me know. I wish these Superfriends releases contained the dates on them. There are so many similarities among the seasons, I imagine they have lost sales because people were not sure which incarnation of the show they would be buying.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
JoeDoakes said:
I wish these Superfriends releases contained the dates on them. There are so many similarities among the seasons, I imagine they have lost sales because people were not sure which incarnation of the show they would be buying.
Confusion is made worse by TVSHOWSONDVD often adding the wrong names to shows.

They like to group the news stories by "show name" and since Superfriends had a name change
almost every year, it is actually not correct, and it's confusing to label any shows except the 8 episodes
from the 1979-1980 season as "World's Greatest Superfiends".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Friends_episodes

The current Wikipedia page is a good reference for episodes. The "shorts" that are being released in
the next couple of DVD sets aired just as "Superfriends" between the fall of 1980 and 1983.

The eight so called "lost" episodes made in 1983 didn't get on TV right away, in the USA, until later in
syndication and reruns, which is why they have been called "lost".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This should complete the SF series. I hope they'll consider the '68 Batman show and the rest of the Filmation Superman.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'm guessing DC still hasn't chosen to let their animation properties over to WA yet, Hence why those shows are stuck in the WHV bubble. But then again WHV with these have been going back to do some season sets. So we may still have hope, that when they say WHV will do them, they might actually surface within the next decade lol.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Not true! TVShowsonDVD.com just reported that BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD is coming to bluray through Warner Archive. Also, don't forget the SUPERBOY TV series is going through WAC now.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Well Greg that is good news then. It's a start, so perhaps the others can trickle over too. I didn't know that they were letting them release that.

We're wating for the next laff-a-lympics news. Today's press release covered a November release for WB. We are getting close to the Olympic season again. So that seems to be the prime time for them.

As i noted earlier the next release of a Scooby DVD with a new special is supposed to be called "Goal", so that one could easily be a companion set for Spooky Games containing the 8 unreleased episodes, double dipping the other 4 not on Spooky Games and some new winter themed olympic game. Of course the flip side being it could just be sports themed scooby random episodes, but the timing i say makes me believe it could be a laff-a-lympics set. Either way we should find out soon if they have a laff-a-lympics set planned for these upcoming games.

We haven't had any news to hint they began the Jetsons S3 yet.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MattPriceTime said:
Well Greg that is good news then. It's a start, so perhaps the others can trickle over too. I didn't know that they were letting them release that.

We're wating for the next laff-a-lympics news. Today's press release covered a November release for WB. We are getting close to the Olympic season again. So that seems to be the prime time for them.

As i noted earlier the next release of a Scooby DVD with a new special is supposed to be called "Goal", so that one could easily be a companion set for Spooky Games containing the 8 unreleased episodes, double dipping the other 4 not on Spooky Games and some new winter themed olympic game. Of course the flip side being it could just be sports themed scooby random episodes, but the timing i say makes me believe it could be a laff-a-lympics set. Either way we should find out soon if they have a laff-a-lympics set planned for these upcoming games.

We haven't had any news to hint they began the Jetsons S3 yet.
I'd like to see them release the Tim Conway episode of the New Scooby Doo Movies. That was one of the ones not included in the Best of collection. I think it takes place in a football stadium.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Greg Chenoweth said:
Not true! TVShowsonDVD.com just reported that BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD is coming to bluray through Warner Archive. Also, don't forget the SUPERBOY TV series is going through WAC now.
They told me the Superboy cartoon would have to come from WHV so who knows what's going on.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
For what it's worth those new Scooby features on the 13 sets were all announced in advance simply because they had to actually make them before a DVD schedule could be set up. And those forumns that found the info haven't had any more added to the list, so i don't know if that means the season sets ideas are now more viable.

But i did kind of have a random thought, We don't know exactly how much profit lies in everything but if we are working under the assumption they might want to be drawing up money on the lesser titles to pay for work on the more-in-need shows, doesn't it also speak to reason perhaps the reason for casual re-releases might also send some money towards that too? It would be kind of a lot frustrating if it turns out long rehases of scooby sets to drag in money sends money to afford those remaining new scooby movies episodes. At the same time WA told us Smurf resources were a mess, redip smurf sets at retail possibly to rake in money off the movie hype to afford fixing up said mess?

Given just how much WB seems dedicated to putting this library out for the consumer to purchase, i'm starting to wonder if there isn't some kind of motive underneath some of these things. Because while a lot of us would love those season sets NOW, if it turns out the stall was for reasons such as this, it kind of makes the situation turn a lot more reasonable, instead of "why won't WHV give us the alternative". However at the same time i would hope a big company would know what it's doing, so i wonder if some of the reasons thing are the way they are now is going to end up going towards a better tomorrow when we get some of the earlier funny animals and rights messes fixed up from revenue on these current releases.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i was able to tracked down the TV schedules via wikipedia and have starting watching my collection based on their original schedule. I know you need to take wikipedia grain of salt as it is not the most reliable.

It has been quiet from HB on their next release. I was hoping for Clue Club or the new adventures of gilligan or Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels or Banana Split.

It is sad that we are near the midway point of 2013 and there has only been a few releases. The best year was 2011 when many of the shows were released!

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
For the record we've never mentioned locations, but if anyone here or knows someone who is going to the HB panel on thursday, i would hope we could get some report if they mention anything else. Last year the two HB teasers were just on one of their generic runs, but this year with a whole panel to promote two HB releases it be cool if they dropped a few more hints our way.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
rmw650 said:
Try EPGuides.com as well for a list of episodes that aired in its specific order.
How likely are the airdates and sequence on these kinds of lists correct? I always wonder where they get the info from. Sometimes it seems like it's good information but other times I suspect someone is just looking at a list of episode titles and matches them up with a list of dates starting with the day a show premiered -- and there is no guarantee a network would have aired them in production order. Sometimes the website of the US coyright office has some information -- I looked up the Quick Draw McGraw show rundowns there and added them to Wikipedia myself, and they might possibly be accurate. But in some cases (especially when they registered a show for copyright years after the fact) it seems like a lot of this information was filed retroactively. It seems at least until the Turner and WB mergers that Hanna-Barbera kept good records, but after that we might be left with some guesswork...

Wikipedia has its pitfalls. Hokey Wolf premiered in January 1961 (not September 1960) and the 1962 omnibus cartoon package (including Wally Gator, Lippy The Lion and Touche Turtle) was distributed as 156 separate individual reels of 16mm film for TV stations to use as they saw fit. Yet the Wikipedia title listing presumes to list them in the form of half-hour shows, assigning three specific cartoons to each one, complete with airdates (which must have been invented out of whole cloth).

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Mark Y said:
How likely are the airdates and sequence on these kinds of lists correct? I always wonder where they get the info from. Sometimes it seems like it's good information but other times I suspect someone is just looking at a list of episode titles and matches them up with a list of dates starting with the day a show premiered -- and there is no guarantee a network would have aired them in production order. Sometimes the website of the US coyright office has some information
I use the copyright website sometimes.

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First

Wikipedia is getting better. BCDB is pretty good. I take everything with a dose of skepticism, and try
to use the pieces of fact that I'm pretty sure I know for sure to eliminate the mistakes. It's a process
of deduction and that's part of the fun!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mark Y said:
Wikipedia has its pitfalls. Hokey Wolf premiered in January 1961 (not September 1960) and the 1962 omnibus cartoon package (including Wally Gator, Lippy The Lion and Touche Turtle) was distributed as 156 separate individual reels of 16mm film for TV stations to use as they saw fit. Yet the Wikipedia title listing presumes to list them in the form of half-hour shows, assigning three specific cartoons to each one, complete with airdates (which must have been invented out of whole cloth).
Interesting you mentioned that about Wally Gator et. al. I recently saw this old ad on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-WOC-tv-ad-DONNA-SCOTT-Cartoon-Time-Popeye-Wally-Gator-Davenport-Iowa-/171071738350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d4ab91ee (not my listing).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks