What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (3 Viewers)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
JoeDoakes said:
I wonder if there are any U.S. music right issues associated with the Splits?
Not sure, other than the fact that they'd obviously have to pay royalties to use the songs. One episode was included in one of the Saturday Morning Cartoons compilation sets and both songs from the show in question were there (all three if you count the theme song). And all the songs from Season 1 are in the UK DVD set of the half-hours (though not all the skits).

Songs from the show were released on records back in the 1960s. Decca Records released an album and three singles, while Hanna-Barbera released a few other songs themselves on a couple of 45 EPs sold as a premium through Kellogg's cereals. (A few of the released songs apparently weren't used on the show.) Those Kellogg's 45s included two of the same songs on the Decca album (though they were different mixes). I remember the single version of "The Tra La La Song" being included on a Rhino compilation CD where the notes said it was licensed from MCA Records (aka Decca). But other CDs including Banana Splits songs have had (IIRC) a licensing credit for Turner Entertainment. So who knows, there may be some kind of issue there, or it may be unclear who owns which rights to what. I remember reading that Rhino Handmade had planned on doing a limited edition CD of the Banana Splits songs, but it was cancelled (though they did do a Josie & The Pussycats release). Whatever is the case, I hope the tapes didn't go up in the Universal fire (if they were even still in their posession). We may never know...

Mark Y

Screenwriter
MattPriceTime said:
I'd imagine WA's plan is probably to see what (if any) they can find or fix up before ending up releasing the best they have if they rule it impracticable to waste any more time and money on trying to do what is needed. I guess the fact they haven't given up on those guys and just chugged them out is good news in a way, as i guess they still consider worthwhile to investigate and see what could happen.
I asked about the show once on Warner Archive's Facebook page and the response was that they intended to release the complete one hour shows (hypothetically, some day), but there were issues with the masters. Which is essentially what they had said back in 2007. No idea if anything has been done with them in the years since, but I imagine it's not their first priority.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark Y said:
I asked about the show once on Warner Archive's Facebook page and the response was that they intended to release the complete one hour shows (hypothetically, some day), but there were issues with the masters. Which is essentially what they had said back in 2007. No idea if anything has been done with them in the years since, but I imagine it's not their first priority.
I remember--back before all HB was exiled to the Archive--there were aborted plans to remarket the Splits, as an excuse to release the boxset, and then only as an excuse to satisfy all those fan requests for "New Adventures of Tom & Huck". (Which seems to have been absorbed into the Splits reruns and couldn't be separated.)
We know which of the two fans REALLY want, but the issues seem to be all with the horse the cart is attached to.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Ejanss said:
I remember--back before all HB was exiled to the Archive--there were aborted plans to remarket the Splits, as an excuse to release the boxset, and then only as an excuse to satisfy all those fan requests for "New Adventures of Tom & Huck". (Which seems to have been absorbed into the Splits reruns and couldn't be separated.)
We know which of the two fans REALLY want, but the issues seem to be all with the horse the cart is attached to.
I can't imagine they'd release The New Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn together with the Banana Splits. They ran the show on Cartoon Network and Boomerang (as a stand-alone show), but they appeared to be sourced from old syndication prints -- which weren't bad, but I doubt they'd pass the muster for digiital release today. I didn't catch it many times, but any time I did there were no opening titles. My guess is they took them from the syndicated Banana Splits package and skipped the Splits intro. Now whether that has any bearing on whether Warner has better copies of the shows, or has the correct show openings, is another question altogether. I'd pick it up if they released it.

I'm told there were two different intros, one with Aunt Polly and one without. In the closing credits, you'll see Ted Cassidy listed "as Injun Joe" and on certain shows, an actress whose name escapes me as Aunt Polly. These credits refer to the live-action prologues. But then in the body of the show, Ted Cassidy would voice that week's villain, who was drawn in the likeness of the Injun Joe character. With the prologues missing, viewers watching the reruns completely missed that.

The first thing you mentioned, about remarketing the Banana Splits, did happen, but I don't think they saw it through all the way like they planned. They did do a new series of shorts which aired on Boomerang (and they were supposed to have been on Cartoon Network before that). There also was an announcement for a "new album" to be released through Universal, but I don't think that ever happened. They did do some music videos of a couple new songs (they are on You Tube) but I never ran across them on Boomerang. I don't know if CN ran them. The new skits were kind of fun and pretty much in keeping with the spirit of the original show (they even brought back the joke wall from the second season), although it took me a little bit to get used to the voices.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Regulus said:
I Want Hot Wheels & Skyhawks!!! :angry:
Both are owned by CBS Studios, and would be released on CBS DVD/Paramount Home Video.
younger1968 said:
I would think Captain Caveman, Clue Club and/or Banana Splits could be next on the list. I also like to know more about the status of the New Adventures of Gilligan as it is set i covet for my collection. I am huge Gilligan's Island Fan. I also like to see other show solved their license issues that are not necessarily tagged to HB: 1. Journey to the Center of the Earth 2. Fantastic Voyage 3. Jeannie! 4. Partridge Family 2200AD 5. Emergency +4 6. My Favourtie Martian.
1) Owned by 20th Century Fox, as well as (2).

3) Owned by Sony Pictures Television (show was a 'work for hire' job done by H-B)

4) Same as (3).

5) Owned by Universal Television and made by their cartoon studio.

6) Owned by Jack Chertok, with secondary rights most likely owned by DreamWorks Classics (formerly known as Classic Media, which bought out the Filmation properties/assets, which made the cartoon in question.)
Regulus said:
I Want Hot Wheels & Skyhawks!!! :angry:

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
derosa said:
I went to a Target store in Toronto this morning,
but they didn't have the SuperFriends dvd.
No staff around knew anything, I guess it's only
in the USA stores right now.
Did you try HMV? They do have a big superstore at 333 Yonge Street.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
And it was one they said they were planning on starting wor on earlier in the year. So it's a running favorite for what's next which it's success on the poll and not being a funny animal chopped apart.

Given that article that told us to expect Captain Caveman and Flintstones sequels, which that said article did report Roman Holidays and Marine Boy would be out and both came out. So if we look at polls, Cave Kids scored higher on a poll that some of the others and is a simple Flintstones spin off.

Those three are my top tier picks for what to be guessing are coming next.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
JoeDoakes said:
I wonder if there are any U.S. music right issues associated with the Splits?
I don't think there should be any music issues at all. From what I've read, the songs performed by the Splits were original songs specifically written, produced and recorded for the show. Yes, some sort of compensation would be required for the song writers and performers on the songs, but as far as I know, the songs themselves are owned outright by Hanna-Barbera.

Looking at both the Deca album and the Kellogg's singles (I have the album and both singles), all are copyrighted by Hanna-Barbera. They all also say (and this is most directly related to the actual songs themselves) A Past, Present and Future Production by David Mook for Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Sky Captain said:
Both are owned by CBS Studios, and would be released on CBS DVD/Paramount Home Video.
I almost had a Heart Attack when I first read this, as I thought it said Will be released on CBC DVD/Paramount Home Video). Good thing I double-checked. If these two ever get released I have to warn you, The Shock Wave radiating from my house will make the Russian Meteor look like a Whipper Snapper! :rolling-smiley:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Brian Himes said:
I don't think there should be any music issues at all. From what I've read, the songs performed by the Splits were original songs specifically written, produced and recorded for the show. Yes, some sort of compensation would be required for the song writers and performers on the songs, but as far as I know, the songs themselves are owned outright by Hanna-Barbera.

Looking at both the Deca album and the Kellogg's singles (I have the album and both singles), all are copyrighted by Hanna-Barbera. They all also say (and this is most directly related to the actual songs themselves) A Past, Present and Future Production by David Mook for Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.
The credit on the third and last Decca single ("Love To Love"/"Pretty Painted Carousel") is slightly different. This is from memory but IIRC it still says "A Past, Present And Future Production" but the actual producer credit says Aaron Schroeder (or possibly Schroeder and Mook). I have a promo copy that says "stereo" on the label but is actually mono. Initial copies of the We're The Banana Splits album did not carry a copyright notice at all (it was omitted in error) but a copyright for Hanna-Barbera was added to the second pressing front cover. There are many copies out there with the copyright notice added on a sticker. But this album is from 1968, and prior to 1972, the copyright laws in the US were different -- I am not sure how this works, but generally on albums from the 1960s, I don't see a copyright notice for the recorded sound itself -- which would be (P) in a circle rather than (C) -- but there is often a notice for the artwork, which is what this has to be. I'm not a lawyer nor a copyright expert, but I have read that prior to 1972, there actually wasn't legislation protecting the copyrights of sound recordings in the United States. That changed in 1972, and somehow it was amended retroactively. I realize what I'm saying sounds like nonsense, but I have read references to this in more than one place. Perhaps someone more well-versed in copyrights and legal stuff can clarify this.

Aside from that though, the entity that owned the copyright and the entity that retained the tapes don't necessarily have to be the same.

Someone on the Steve Hoffman Music Forum wrote a number of years ago that they saw a budget Banana Splits reissue CD on the MCA label, but only saw it once as if it was released and then quickly withdrawn. IIRC they said it was definitely different from the widely-circulated bootleg on the "Hollywood Library" label from the mid-1990s. Unfortunately, I can't confirm this.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of a release for The Hillbilly Bears? I guess it would have to be released as part of Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show. Without question, it is the greatest series about pipe smoking, gun toting bears in television history.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel were said to have been started several months ago. Not long after the confirmation that Yogi's Gang was being worked on. So there are progressing farther into the "long term project" kind of thing but there are now where near as long as say Huckleberry Hound and Captain Caveman have been.

But given if that article plays out to be accurate on the second half as it was the first half we should be expecting Captain Caveman soon. So that gives us good reason to think even those long term projects will eventually come to fruition.

However i would expect Atom and Secret to be in a little less problematic than the earlier funny animals. Their repeats on CN in the past still had openings and closings for credits. So i would base on that idea that the masters may be a bit more in order than the others.

A recent post also mentioned that they had a bunch of HB shows in the work with more to follow shortly. So that makes me think they've got another batch on the near horizon, and some more will be started soon. Our last batch had five releases (with WHV throwing a surprise sixth), so we might be looking at several more releases coming this summer.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Very good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MattPriceTime said:
Warner Archive retweeted someone on twitter that posted artwork for Captain Caveman.

https://twitter.com/SuperPRGuy/status/353297960857112577/photo/1
Very good news!!!
I searched and found an announcement for an upcoming Comic-con discussion panel:
It mentions both Captain Caveman, and Space Stars upcoming releases!

http://comiccon2013.sched.org/event/4ca3ee584d8d3aa49e76fa07adb7590f?iframe=no&w=680&sidebar=yes&bg=no#.UdsL1D5C7qN
Warner Archive Collection presents a look at the legacy of Space Ghostand the Herculoids, previews the upcoming release of Space Stars, take a detour to examine everyone’s favorite pre-historic superhero Captain Caveman, and discuss a very special upcoming Blu-ray release. Join WAC Podcast hosts Matthew Patterson and DW Ferranti and notable guests James Tucker (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) and Steven Melching (Batman: The Brave and the Bold) for this entertaining survey of some truly super-toons.
Thursday July 18, 2013 12:45pm – 1:30pm

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Very Good News indeed for Captain Caveman and Space Stars. And if the facebook rumours from a year and a half ago are true Space Stars may be the complete 1 hour show.
That gives me hope for complete shows of Yogi's Space Race, The Chatanooga Cats, and Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape.
Yogi's Space Race is one of my Holy Grails next to the rest of H-B's 60's Animal shows even though I don't care for the disco segments. I would really enjoy seeing it again in its original 90 minute version.
derosa said:
Very good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good news!!!
I searched and found an announcement for an upcoming Comic-con discussion panel:
It mentions both Captain Caveman, and Space Stars upcoming releases!

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2013/07/04/comic-con-2013-wednesday-and-thursdays-schedule-released/
Warner Archive Collection presents a look at the legacy of Space Ghostand the Herculoids, previews the upcoming release of Space Stars, take a detour to examine everyone’s favorite pre-historic superhero Captain Caveman, and discuss a very special upcoming Blu-ray release. Join WAC Podcast hosts Matthew Patterson and DW Ferranti and notable guests James Tucker (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) and Steven Melching (Batman: The Brave and the Bold) for this entertaining survey of some truly super-toons.
Thursday July 18, 2013 12:45pm – 1:30pm

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Interesting to see everything coming together here. The guy who posted the CC art used to be a Warner PR guy and Warner Archive retweeting it made it legit.

Now last year they gave us two previews at Comic Con, and now we see it again. Also let's flash back to several months ago when someone posted a list that WA told him most of that were on the way, i at first was a little skeptical but Space Stars was one of them, and look what is coming. The other three mentioned on that post, Galtar, New Adventres of JQ and yogi's Treasure Hunt. Also let's remember they said they were going to do the Yogi spinoffs in order, Yogi's Gang finished up so Yogi's Space Race should be next, and it may be started by now or getting ready to start. We might want to move Galtar and NJQ up into possibles.

All in all this only goes to show what they say comes to fruition. Captain Caveman is one the few long projects that now seems all but confirmed to be happening soon. Huckleberry Hound being the only HB show said to have been worked on that has taken a long time. I say our hopes have been well placed with this news.

Since CC and SS are the more comic-con type shows, i bet some other shows are probably getting ready to roll out soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks