Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    I'm still waiting for these H-B Animated Series:

The Adventures of Gulliver

The New Adventures of Huck Finn

These were the Days

Devlin

And I know, I've said this umte ump dozen times before but if it was announced that these two animated series (Non H-B), Hot Wheels and Skyhawks were going to be released on DVD and/or Blu-Ray the Shock Wake emitted from my house would make that Meteor that hit Russia a few months ago look like a Firecracker Whipper Snapper! :rolling-smiley:

2. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Second Unit

Matthew Price
    I'd say no matter which side wins the 70s Tom and Jerry it may not be that soon.

The Scooby set is also interesting. As with the Smurfs set, this seems to be a mid way release. As in testing the waters. But given those said episodes are available for digitial download, and those 25th sets make use of double dips, And WHV has released plenty of double dips of season sets they already released. i doubt they replace the idea of WHV getting back to complete season sets.

Not too sure why Tom and Jerry Kids is going first after all. But maybe they felt the Tom and Jerry side needed a little more love given a lot of people are still mad over the two skipped theatricals. While the Scooby and Smurf communities are probably a little less hostile. As even though we aren't getting season sets both random episode lines are at least giving out new episodes. So perhaps the Tom and Jerry ones were the first ones to get given the shot. As we should note this whole WA aspect is only on the 75 series. As on the same day i asked someone asked about the Deitch-era ones and the answer to them was as it was always, It would be WHV, but on the 75 series they said it wasn't firmed up. So if they aren't sure than that is probably why we got T&J kids season 1 when we did. If they keep it's schedule like the other WB season sets we might see the announcement of that next release within the summer. Plus as i said they've also got another olympic season coming up so we have to see what plans for laff-a-lympics they have to go along with it.

3. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

It would make sense for T&J/GA to go to the archive, given that the archive is releasing the 1960s Popeyes.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I'm happy to hear it. I got through the GoBots miniseries a long time ago and I just acquired all the old GoBots toys from my parents. I was going through them last night and thought...gee...its time for more episodes!

5. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    Popeye is another good source of reference here. WHV clearly let some of it go, so it strengthens the theory that they could let a certain part of the series (or hint hint a certain release type) to the Archive but keep other parts for themselves.

And acquiring stuff like that is cool. I ended up getting a lot of the old He-Man and She-ra toys my uncle had in his youth. Pretty cool finds.

6. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    He Man and Gobots are 1980s shows. That wasn't that long ago! Boy, when grown men start discussing inheriting toys their parents played with in the 1980s do I feel old.

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Very true! I am 34, so I guess that's all relative, right? :cool:

8. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    Well in my case i got those a while back because my Uncle is one of those people who wanted to distant themselves from their childhood as he "grew up" and when my grandparents were cleaning up and had to get rid of some stuff i got them. But at the same time there is a significant age difference between my mom and her sister and their brother who was born much later and was an 80s kid. I was a 90s kids before distribution went to hell. So when it came to "do you want your Uncle's old He-man figures?" i was like "YES!". And the rest was history lol.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Whippersnapper! [​IMG]

Jason_V likes this.
  10. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I'm really hoping for a Flintstones Blu-ray release at some point. My flipper discs are scratched and I can't view some episodes, others have the wrong opening, "The Big Move" is edited. I am holding off rebuying the series in the Complete Series set until I know that a blu may be coming in the next year or so. If not, I'm going to have to go ahead and buy it.

11. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    Not too sure that day is ever going to happen. But alot of older WB sets seem to exist in the current WBShop Twlight, where they'll probably always be there to buy again, but if the time you go looking for it, the only place it's currently there is Wbshop, prepare to pay more. And on observation it appears the original Scooby Doo set is now the most inflated of them all. But it would seem WBshop has no problem doing occasional deep discounts. As of right now WBshop actually has that item cheaper than Amazon. (it's over 70% off on Wbshop right now)

While it's not Hanna Barbera, Marine Boy Season 1 is available today. I know some people are going to pick that up, so i figured i'd post it.

dhammer likes this.
  12. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    Matt,

Thanks for the tip on Marine Boy. I just bought it. So it is by seasons. That means there will be two more releases of 26episodes each for a total of 78 episodes. So there is no way they are putting the episode name on the disks. 26 episodes on 3 disks. I hope--but I doubt it, that the episode names will be listed somewhere in the case. I will have to make my own. What a pain. Is it that much trouble to list the episodes somewhere on the packaging??? I know it will be on the menu but that ticks me off. Nothing was worst than their Frankenstein Jr/ The Impossibles. I love those cartoons but the menus were an abortion 4A, 4B, 7C, etc. One of these days I will have to make a menu for the Saturday Morning releases.

13. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Warner Archive doesn't normally put the episode titles on the disc or the case for their animated releases. I know it would be nice if they did. They haven't repeated the A, B, C episode listing they did on Frankenstein Jr. They must have listened to the feedback.

14. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

There is no such thing as "seasons" in Marine Boy. The whole 78 episode run is actually the second season of the third Japanese series, which was the only stuff that ever got redubbed for international release and is the only Marine Boy that anyone outside of Japan who watched them a long time ago will have of the series. It's a bit like the way that Gatchaman was, internationally, Battle of the Planets although thankfuly Marine Boy did not suffer the type of butchery employed by Sandy Frank (it wasn;t necessary)

They are just breaking it down into three 26-episode sets and marketing it this way as a single 78-episode release would be too large and expensive as this is from the Archive - they are probably hoping to pick up a few casual sales this way, although I suspect that anyone who would buy this would be just as happy to buy a $60 9-disc set. They did this with the Girl from UNCLE and I can;t imagine anyone buying just one of those.

It could also be, they are wanting to make some money on the first 26 episodes whilst proceeding with the restoration of the remainder. I find that a likely prospect also.

15. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    But since they didn't even remaster, let alone restore, the first 26 episodes, that prospect is not likely at all.

16. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    The ad at Warner Archive's says in the item description that it was remastered.

17. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David

18. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    To be fair in this case, the new releases pages overall didn't seem to properly reflect the newsletter and information. So for once there's a pass. But i think that part of the website only has the two options of what to say, since nowadays we know very little of what they release aren't touched up all, but if they didn't remaster it it has to have the other text which reflects when the program got started.

In other news, we've got a mixed bag here. Another random Smurfs set, but the new Scooby Doo series (personally didn't care for it) is getting a season set. Showing that WHV has no problem with there shows being available in more than one format. So it continues our hope that at some point those season sets for the older series will get their day to shine.

19. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    Came across something that could be interesting. Those Scooby Doo Sets that have the random episodes with a new special, have provided something interesting. A while back the two that were just press released were announced before hand along with two others. Now that the first two have come to pass, but the next one is very interesting.

It's entitled, "Scooby Doo Goal", so it looks like another sports name, and what are we coming up to? The next olympics. Given WHV's slow transition back to "some" season sets, i think there could be a chance this one might become the companion set to Spooky Games, where it could contain a new special, the 8 remaining Laff-a-lympics and double dib the 4 from Volume 1 and 2.

It will also be interesting to see if they greenlight more sets like that or not. Also wonder if there's a chance they'll make a special with Dynomutt and put it on a set with those lost missing seasons? It would fit their theme of 13.

20. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I would think Captain Caveman, Clue Club and/or Banana Splits could be next on the list. I also like to know more about the status of the New Adventures of Gilligan as it is set i covet for my collection. I am huge Gilligan's Island Fan. I also like to see other show solved their license issues that are not necessarily tagged to HB: 1. Journey to the Center of the Earth 2. Fantastic Voyage 3. Jeannie! 4. Partridge Family 2200AD 5. Emergency +4 6. My Favourtie Martian.