What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (5 Viewers)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
rmw650 said:
Mark, I always go by EPGuides.com and it hasn't steered me wrong as of yet, but it is a another resource to use to get the episode order and numbers intact for specific series.
Unless I'm completely missing something, the search I just did on that siteis a long way from complete Hanna Barbera shows listed.Virtually none of the 70s shows I checked have a listing.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Well everyone were two days away from the panel now. I'll watch news if anything else is revealed. They put Shazam up right away after it's preview at comic-con. Not sure if the HB panel will have similar results. But then again WA slipped one release out ahead of what they previewed at Comic Con in terms of HB last year, so i think we should rest assured more should be starting soon.

But the live action movie Hanna Barbera made called The Beasts are on the Streets, is up for pre-order as of this morning.

Jonnyquest9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
Great News everyone, just by accident (via a search for the complete Super 6 series) I found this little surprise on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.ca/Super-Friends-Legacy-Pow/dp/B00DVKKWFE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1374105764&sr=1-1&keywords=super+6

This is the remainder shorts to complete (i thiiiiiink) the superfriends shows. Coming this october.

Here's a part of the description of the 1st reviewer:

The 1981-1982 Shorts: (Please note that every 3 cartoons listed below make up one half hour episode)
01) Outlaws Of Orion02) Three Wishes03) Scorpio04) Mxyzptlk's Flick05) Sink Hole06) Alien Mummy07) Evil From Krypton08) The Creature From The Dump09) Aircraft Terror10) Lava Men11) Bazarowurld12) The Warlord's Amulet13) The Iron Cyclops14) Palette's Perils15) Colossus16) Stowaways From Space17) The Staraghosta Sea18) The Witch's Arcade

Can't wait to finally see my superfriends collection complete.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Since the WA Comic Con panel is now over we finally got some confirmations.
Captain Caveman is coming next Tuesday 7/23
Space Stars is coming soon but no date yet but they did confirm it will have all the extra bumpers for the show as originally shown.
Both shows have been remastered.

Great news on both. :)
This demonstrates that it is worth giving WA time to do these shows right instead of just quickly dumping Cartoon Newtwork copies out. ;)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Randy Korstick said:
Since the WA Comic Con panel is now over we finally got some confirmations.
Captain Caveman is coming next Tuesday 7/23
Space Stars is coming soon but no date yet but they did confirm it will have all the extra bumpers for the show as originally shown.
Both shows have been remastered.

Great news on both. :)
This demonstrates that it is worth giving WA time to do these shows right instead of just quickly dumping Cartoon Newtwork copies out. ;)
Is there any word on what the Captain Caveman set will include? (Or was that included in the announcement and I didn't read it thoroughly?)

CC originated as a segment on Laff-A-Lympics, and was later spun off in his own half-hour show on ABC (later repeated on USA). Only Captain Caveman was featured. But the version shown on Cartoon Network and Boomerang is some weird hybrid combining Captain Caveman with the live-action "Mystery Island" segments from The Skatebirds series -- as far as I know, this version seems to be something created by Turner/Cartoon Network.

Inquiring minds want to know...this is one step closer to a complete Laff-A-Lympics collection, even if I have to assemble it myself!

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Their twitter account made a tweet during it that spikes my interest alot. They didn't respond when i asked more on it, but they mentioned the un-aired pilot for The World Color It Happy. Wonder if this will eventually see a release.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately they have not said exactly what it will include yet. Since this show was 3 seasons I've always wondered how they will release it.
The seasons were:
Season 1 (1977): 16 Episodes
Season 2 (1978):: 8 Episodes
Season 3 (1980): 16 Episodes

Since season 2 was only 8 episodes I don't see them releasing these as Seasons. Since there are 40 episodes total which would require 5 discs I don't think they will do a complete set since that would make the cost much higher than the rest of their HB release and reduce sales. This is just my guess but I think they will release this as 2 Volumes of 20 episodes each. Possibly at the same time or Volume 2 later

Mark Y said:
Is there any word on what the Captain Caveman set will include? (Or was that included in the announcement and I didn't read it thoroughly?)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
The DVD artwork that was tweeted last week says "The Complete Series" on it,
no volume number, no season number, so i am expecting the 40 shorts.
(they are only 11mins each after all) Not that this assumption hasn't been
wrong in the past !

Those first two seasons aired as part of Scooby's Laff-A-Lympics, and then
the 1980 season it had a half hour spot on the schedule. Those 16 ones
must have aired with re-runs of earlier episodes, mixed together with the new
ones.

One thing i'm hoping for the most, is that the 1980 Flintstones Comedy Show
gets a release, with all six segments intact, including the "Captain Caveman" shorts.
Given that this upcoming DVD is titled "Captain Caveman & the Teen Angels",
it should be the 40 shorts. The 1987 version has "captain caveman & son"
segments.
Randy Korstick said:
Unfortunately they have not said exactly what it will include yet. Since this show was 3 seasons I've always wondered how they will release it.
The seasons were:
Season 1 (1977): 16 Episodes
Season 2 (1978):: 8 Episodes
Season 3 (1980): 16 Episodes

Since season 2 was only 8 episodes I don't see them releasing these as Seasons. Since there are 40 episodes total which would require 5 discs I don't think they will do a complete set since that would make the cost much higher than the rest of their HB release and reduce sales. This is just my guess but I think they will release this as 2 Volumes of 20 episodes each. Possibly at the same time or Volume 2 later

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 26

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Nice coverart. I forgot about the 11 minutes episodes but that was for Season 1 and 2. Season 3 was a full 30 minute show on its own with 16 new 30 minute episodes and they did mix in reruns of the 1st 2 seasons with 2 short episodes for each show to make 12 more 30 minute episodes. I wonder if the 1st 2 seasons will be released this way.
A complete set is nice and this would now only be 28 thirty minute shows so either 3 or 4 discs. Hopefully we get a nice price for this. I would say $34.99-$39.99 would be fair since their 16-18 episode sets are usually $29.99.
derosa said:
The DVD artwork that was tweeted last week says "The Complete Series" on it,
no volume number, no season number, so i am expecting the 40 shorts.
(they are only 11mins each after all) Not that this assumption hasn't been
wrong in the past !

Those first two seasons aired as part of Scooby's Laff-A-Lympics, and then
the 1980 season it had a half hour spot on the schedule. Those 16 ones
must have aired with re-runs of earlier episodes, mixed together with the new
ones.

One thing i'm hoping for the most, is that the 1980 Flintstones Comedy Show
gets a release, with all six segments intact, including the "Captain Caveman" shorts.
Given that this upcoming DVD is titled "Captain Caveman & the Teen Angels",
it should be the 40 shorts. The 1987 version has "captain caveman & son"
segments.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
My source was Big Cartoon database which listed season one and two as 11 minutes but Season 3 as 30 minutes but maybe that is including a rerun. Your link shows they were 10-11 minutes. I haven't seen the show since it originally aired and really don't remember them being shorts I thought they were full length like Scooby- Doo. But its been awhile so a case of faulty memory.
So with 40 shorts it should fit as a standard 2 disc HB release.
derosa said:
Have you got a reliable source for the season 3 episodes being longer than 11 minutes?
I've seen them all on Boomerang, and they were shorts, 10 minutes plus the opening theme.

http://captain-cave-man.blogspot.ca/search/label/The%20Scarifying%20Seaweed%20Secret

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
There is understandable confusion, possibly because the 1980 season aired
in it's own half hour time slot. It is actually quite interesting how the details
of the 1976 to early 1980s airings of Scooby, Dynomutt, Captain Caveman,
and laff-a-lympics have slowly become more accurate on wikipedia and
other web sources in the time that we have been following the potential DVD
releases of these shows.

A few years ago, the listings for these shows were full of mistakes,
and some sites haven't corrected them, others are better.
BCDB is usually pretty good. There really hasn't been much information
on the web about the 1980 Captain Caveman episodes, other than their
names. Even the order of the 1977 and 1978 Laff-a-lympics block hasn't
really been confirmed. I would love to find a VHS tape of an original airing.
Randy Korstick said:
My source was Big Cartoon database which listed season one and two as 11 minutes but Season 3 as 30 minutes but maybe that is including a rerun.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
WAC put up some photos from ComicCon on their FaceBook page,
one of them is of a Space Stars poster they must have been giving
out at the event.

Attachments

• poster.jpg
    poster.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 23

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
WAC has a Captain Caveman promo up on their YouTube channel,
the quality of the clip is looking very good!

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I ordered the Superfriends season 5, out today,
but i couldn't find it locally, should be here in a
day or two.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I can just imagine the Pitch Meeting for Captain Caveman, so many years ago:

"Hey, guys, we really need something new. Something original for our Saturday lineup this year. So what can we rip off, and get away with?"
"Hmm. Well, 'Charlie's Angels' is the hottest thing on tv right now. We could do an animated version of that!"

"A bit racy for the kindergarten set."

"Why not make them teenagers? Everybody knows teenagers don't have sex!""Hmm...I don't know. It still sounds like kind of a rip-off. We need something original, here. Something that's not a rip-off, but is a rip-off. You follow me?"

"Well? Why not make one of them black?"

"Hey! That's a great idea! Yeah! And we'll call them the 'Teen Angels' instead of 'Charlie's Angels.' That way, Aaron Spelling can't sue us!"

"Brilliant, but it needs something more.""I agree. We can't add a mystery-solving dog to the thing. Then we'd be stealing from ourselves...yet again!"

"Ho, ho ho! That is so. But say listen, last night I stayed up and watched this old movie where they thawed out a caveman who'd been frozen in ice...""That's it! We'll add a caveman to the show! I think we've got it!"

"Yeah, but a caveman running around in a loincloth...hmm...that's kinda too sexy for Saturday morning, too."

"Well, we'll make him real old. That way nobody will think he's actually having sex with the Teen Angels.""Hmm...not enough. He'll have to be covered up, I should think."
"Covered up? I know! We'll make him look kind of like Cousin Itt! That'll take all the sex right out of this show!"

"You're a genius! So he'll be a really hairy caveman...exactly like the Slag Bros, NOT Cousin Itt. Right? Because we did NOT rip off the Slag Bros. from Cousin Itt...it was the other way around, right?"

"Right! And...hey, that 'Dynomutt' thing is doing pretty well. So why not make the caveman a superhero, to boot?"

"THIS IS AMAZING! This will be the most FANTASTIC SHOW of our careers! Let's do it!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks