What's new

I want a TOP GUN SE! (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
bought the UK R2 version as soon as it came out (well the Saturday before it was released on the Monday) as I had never seen it in surround sound. Bear in mind at the time I did'nt have 5.1, I had only a pro-logic hi-fi (we all have to start somewhere).
The picture (as said before) is anamorphic, and bearing in mind this was always a grainy looking movie because it was the first real test of the Super 35 format because Scott was not able to attach Panavision cameras to the planes so he needed a smaller camera system. The picture quality is very good. Never seen the r1 version (although a friend has it, so I might take a lend to make a comparison). It looks a bit washed out, but detail is good, many of the sunset shots really shine though and do show off why DVD is wayyy better than VHS and a notch or 2 above LD.
The sound is a tipically 80's mix. But is enjoyable despite the totally out of place sounding rear effects that pop up only very seldom. They should take a look at Air Force One when doing a new mix as to how to craft a 5.1 track using planes and jets (AF1 INO is a vastly underrated 5.1 track that has got lost in the amount of demo movies there is now, it's certainly exciting stuff and very well mixed.)Although Top Gun, for me this is a reference 5.1 track for bass. Very VERY low during some points. And when turned up past reference level, I am glad that I live in the country side because I would get done for noise pollution.
As for a SpEd of Top Gun. Is'nt there one on the way. I think Paramount are in the throws of making one. Tony Scott is doing commentaries for all his older films I belive (check True Romance), and is following Ridley's format of choice as a way to preserve his work. After listening to him on the Spy Game track, he has his brothers knack for interesting coments as well as visual flair. Although the Tony Sccot film I am looking forward to a SpEd of is The Last Boy Scout, an underratted plup classic if ever there was one :)

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a few months since anyone has mentioned this. What's the latest? Any good words floating around?

Patrick_L

Second Unit
talk about bringing back posts from the dead!:D
but we DO need to keep this alive as i would love to see this one re-released properly.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I've successfully avoided getting the bare bones, non-anamorphic version. I think both Top Gun AND Crimson Tide deserve a 2-disc Special Edition.
I agree. If they release them in Anamorphic Widescreen, I'd buy them that day. Current versions, I'll never buy, I already have these movies on tape.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
ironic, I read this thread yesterday morning, at lunchtime I happened to wander into a Sony shop demoing TVs and their HTiB's, whaddya know, the disc being played was Top Gun. somewhat deja vu, in the days of LD this was also the demo of choice.

since the systems weren't properly set up -- it was running side-by-side to another set-up playing The Patriot -- I can't say anything about the quality of the sound, and horror of horrors the video connections were all through composite. I guess springing for a long component cable is out of the question for these cheapskate retailers?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Any news? I'd like an anamorphic version of this one, as well as CRIMSON TIDE and HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Yup, echo all others. Top Gun SE. Was one of the first titles I looked up back in '97 when I got in, and I've been waiting for a good disc since then. That and HFRO are my two biggest Paramount disappointments.

Get the lead out please. Release a good DVD of these titles. Do consumers right.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
My wife doesn't really care for movies much, as far as replay. However, even she would like to own Top Gun. Won't consider getting it in its current state.

I'd pay full MSRP for the Top Gun SE.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Ok, here is my dream Top Gun DVD set.

Disc 1

-- Remastered and properly framed anamophic 2.35:1 video
-- remastered dolby digital and dts 5.1 audio tracks
-- commentary by Jerry Bruckheimer, Tony Scott and Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer
-- Top gun trivia sub-title track

Disc 2

-- Retrospective documentary (minimum 45 minutes)
-- the "making of Top Gun" short
-- Music Videos for "Danger Zone", "Take my Breathe Away", and "Top Gun Anthem"
-- Teaser trailer and full trailer
-- Deleted Scenes, Gag Real
-- A short on the lookback of the career of Don Simpson
-- The original article "Top Guns of the Sky" from California Magazine which inspired the movie
-- Documentary on Fighter Weapons School aka Top Gun
-- Documentary on the aerial photography of the movie

thats a good start for me..

-- Matt

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
With Paramount now supporting DTS this might be in the pipeline for a re-release...

Patrick_L

Second Unit
Matt, that would OWN if they could pull that off!:emoji_thumbsup:
this would be one of THE most anticipated releases for me if it were true.. *prays*

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Matt,
That is awesome! I would buy 2 copies for myself and one for everyone I know! Paramount, are you reading this??? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks