What's new

List of most impressive audio demo material to open a movie on physical media? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The rules: I'm looking for the most impressive audio material to start a movie. No chapter skips. No searching.

Reasoning: I know sometimes we enjoy showing off our HTs to new acquaintances and friends. Often they come over and we're on our way out to somewhere (dinner, party, etc.) but they see the setup and want to see/hear it. With modern BDs and UHDs, long gone are the "just put the disc and the movie plays"...we are subjected to non-skippable trailers, warnings, menus, etc. After you get through the minute or so of that, I don't want to go hunting deep into a movie to get to the awesome action scene somewhere in the middle of the movie to show off the system. So I realized I have a few go-to movies where, within the first few minutes of the movie from it's start, it shows off the system to the uninitiated.

So please feel free to add your opinion of impressive home theater demo scenes to start a movie. As I said, no chapter skipping, no scene searching. You have new friends over and a limited amount of time so you just want to pop in a disc, endure the non-skippable parts, and then his Start Movie, and get out within a few minutes. Mine are:
  • Edge of Tomorrow Blu-Ray DTS soundtrack. The UHD Atmos soundtrack is fine, but as I have tested going back and forth, the DTS track on the original BD (and the one included in the UHD set) is a deeper/louder frequency for the infamous "deep notes" of the beginning. My china in the adjacent room respond to the DTS track, and not to the Atmos track. And I don't just stop at the deep notes. The following minute or so make active use of the surrounds.
  • Star Trek (2009) UHD Atmos. From the opening blaring horns of the company credits to the space battle scene between the Kelvin and Romulan ship have a very active mix. Bonus, if you have an extra 30 seconds or so, you can keep playing past the title card and hear the Beastie Boys Sabotage fill up your speakers.
  • The Empire Strikes Back UHD/Streaming Atmos. Admittedly this makes the list less for its technical ability to "wow" people and more for its emotional impact. Who doesn't love blasting the Star Wars opening theme in their system. And then when the probes are launched from the ship, there is good use of directionality and overhead speakers.
  • Mad Max: Fury Road UHD Atmos. As the kids say, IYKYK.
That's just off the top of my head the discs I reach for when someone who hasn't been over before says "whoa, that's quite a setup", hinting that they want to see/hear it but we also need to be en route to somewhere else.

And yes, more often than not the demo leads to future visits where the purpose is a dedicated viewing of a movie. What opening scenes of movies do you use to quickly show off your theater to the uninitiated when you're heading out to somewhere else?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The first 10 minutes or so of BLADE RUNNER 2049 in Dolby Atmos. That's my go-to disc when showing off my home theater sound system.

The first 10-15 minutes of Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA in either its original 4.0 surround mix or the Dolby Atmos remix on the Synapse UHD is another really great one.

Vincent

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My two main ones you already have. Star Trek and Mad Max: Fury Road.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe I forgot this one:
  • The Dark Knight UHD DTS-HD MA. So much deep bass, not just in the obvious moments, but also in some subtle places as well to augment other sounds. And the last shotgun blast from William Fichtner will make people jump in their seats. Also the spraying glass from when the bus backs into the bank make nice use of the front-to-back soundstage.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'd nominate the opening sequence of Luc Besson's sorely under-rated "Valerian." It's both an audio and visual treat. There's also the amazing "Oblivion," which is at the top of my "go to" list. The first 10 minutes or so will get the point across quite well.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The first 10 minutes or so of BLADE RUNNER 2049 in Dolby Atmos. That's my go-to disc when showing off my home theater sound system.
Definitely demo audio material, as is the beginning of the original Blade Runner. The Atmos track on the 4K release will make your subwoofer bleed.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd nominate the opening sequence of Luc Besson's sorely under-rated "Valerian." It's both an audio and visual treat. There's also the amazing "Oblivion," which is at the top of my "go to" list. The first 10 minutes or so will get the point across quite well.
This is exactly why I started this thread. I greatly enjoyed both of your recommendations upon initial viewing, but that was back on their original UHD releases when I had a much more modest 5.1.2 system and an AVR doing all the processing and power. Now that I have gone to 7.2.4 and have separate power amps, I just played the intro scenes to both of those movies and can heartily agree with you.

With regards to Valerian, the opening up of the picture frame which is accompanied by the expansion of Mr. Bowie into all the speakers is something every HT aficionado and sci fi fan should experience.

Oblivion's more of a slow burn to the wow factor but once you get to the title card, the room comes to life (and then the subsequent flight).

I'll have to make time later tonight (off to run an errand) to sample BR2049. I did like it a lot but as with the other movies, the last time I'd seen it was on its initial release on my 5.1.2 system.

SPR I debated on...only because of the very visceral nature of the scene. That movie is one I loved but have to be in the mood for. Since it's based on an actual event, it's not the kind of thing emotionally I feel comfortable spinning up just to show off the system. If I spin it up, it's to watch the film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The rules: I'm looking for the most impressive audio material to start a movie. No chapter skips. No searching.

Reasoning: I know sometimes we enjoy showing off our HTs to new acquaintances and friends. Often they come over and we're on our way out to somewhere (dinner, party, etc.) but they see the setup and want to see/hear it. With modern BDs and UHDs, long gone are the "just put the disc and the movie plays"...we are subjected to non-skippable trailers, warnings, menus, etc. After you get through the minute or so of that, I don't want to go hunting deep into a movie to get to the awesome action scene somewhere in the middle of the movie to show off the system. So I realized I have a few go-to movies where, within the first few minutes of the movie from it's start, it shows off the system to the uninitiated.

So please feel free to add your opinion of impressive home theater demo scenes to start a movie. As I said, no chapter skipping, no scene searching. You have new friends over and a limited amount of time so you just want to pop in a disc, endure the non-skippable parts, and then his Start Movie, and get out within a few minutes. Mine are:
  • Edge of Tomorrow Blu-Ray DTS soundtrack. The UHD Atmos soundtrack is fine, but as I have tested going back and forth, the DTS track on the original BD (and the one included in the UHD set) is a deeper/louder frequency for the infamous "deep notes" of the beginning. My china in the adjacent room respond to the DTS track, and not to the Atmos track. And I don't just stop at the deep notes. The following minute or so make active use of the surrounds.
  • Star Trek (2009) UHD Atmos. From the opening blaring horns of the company credits to the space battle scene between the Kelvin and Romulan ship have a very active mix. Bonus, if you have an extra 30 seconds or so, you can keep playing past the title card and hear the Beastie Boys Sabotage fill up your speakers.
  • The Empire Strikes Back UHD/Streaming Atmos. Admittedly this makes the list less for its technical ability to "wow" people and more for its emotional impact. Who doesn't love blasting the Star Wars opening theme in their system. And then when the probes are launched from the ship, there is good use of directionality and overhead speakers.
  • Mad Max: Fury Road UHD Atmos. As the kids say, IYKYK.
That's just off the top of my head the discs I reach for when someone who hasn't been over before says "whoa, that's quite a setup", hinting that they want to see/hear it but we also need to be en route to somewhere else.

And yes, more often than not the demo leads to future visits where the purpose is a dedicated viewing of a movie. What opening scenes of movies do you use to quickly show off your theater to the uninitiated when you're heading out to somewhere else?

"Empire Strikes Back" is the first movie I saw where the audio made a big impact.

Saw "Star Wars" 6X in 1977/78, saw "CE3K" in 1978, saw "Superman" a couple times in 1979... no idea if I saw them with any audio beyond mono, honestly.

Though I think I saw "Star Wars" once at DC's late legendary Uptown, where I'd assume it was six-track. If so, don't remember the audio.

Saw "ESB" opening night at a local multiplex that had a large screen with state of the 1980 art audio... and it dazzled my young ears.

That opening scene imprinted on me in a way few soundtracks have since then!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay just had a chance to spin up Blade Runner 2049, a film I've watched at home before on my old system configuration.

Wow.

That really brought home the impact of adding the second sub (my first was no slouch, a Hsu VTF3-MK5, to which I added a PowerSoundAudio S15), adding the external power amp (Outlaw 7000X for the main floor 7), and upgrading my main floor speakers to Def Tech Demand (D17 L/R, D5c C, D9 for RS/LS/RSB/LSB). This sounded nothing like I recalled watching it prior (maybe a year or two ago) at home. Because it's mastered so hot (Disney MCU discs are usually played around 58db on my receiver, BR2049 should be more like 47db) I actually had it running at basically reference levels because I had the volume up for a lower mastered disc. I think my neighbors two doors over might have been able to feel the opening bass sequence.

Having just watched Avatar in IMAX at Universal Citywalk, I can say that accidentally running BR2049 at reference level basically confirms my new home setup can recreate the visceral impact of the theater...as long as I don't mind pissing off the neighbors :rolling-smiley:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've always a pretty big fan of the use of The Doors' The End in Apocalypse Now. While not as bombastic as some other scenes that come to mind from a demonstration standpoint, I like the layering of both the audio and visual elements of the opening scene. Great way to begin this feature.

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd nominate the opening sequence of Luc Besson's sorely under-rated "Valerian."...
Yeah, the opening of Valerian is definitely cool. Makes you want to watch the movie. I know it gets trashed, or ignored, but I really get a kick out of that movie. Of course, I also love The Fifth Element.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Okay just had a chance to spin up Blade Runner 2049, a film I've watched at home before on my old system configuration.

Wow.

That really brought home the impact of adding the second sub (my first was no slouch, a Hsu VTF3-MK5, to which I added a PowerSoundAudio S15), adding the external power amp (Outlaw 7000X for the main floor 7), and upgrading my main floor speakers to Def Tech Demand (D17 L/R, D5c C, D9 for RS/LS/RSB/LSB). This sounded nothing like I recalled watching it prior (maybe a year or two ago) at home. Because it's mastered so hot (Disney MCU discs are usually played around 58db on my receiver, BR2049 should be more like 47db) I actually had it running at basically reference levels because I had the volume up for a lower mastered disc. I think my neighbors two doors over might have been able to feel the opening bass sequence.

Having just watched Avatar in IMAX at Universal Citywalk, I can say that accidentally running BR2049 at reference level basically confirms my new home setup can recreate the visceral impact of the theater...as long as I don't mind pissing off the neighbors :rolling-smiley:
My motto is, if my neighbors don't like hearing to my home theater sound system, they can move.

Vincent

YANG

Screenwriter
a pity that Courage Under Fire soundtrack doesn't get a Remaster... or else, the Iraq battle in the beginning would be impressive display of tank deployment and huey directional flying overhead.

YANG

Screenwriter
the beginning of Twister will be one hellova demo material if u can get ur hands on the German Boutique release with Atmos/Auro3D. feel the vibration on ur nutsack with Bass Shaker installed under ur seats.

YANG

Screenwriter
in the beginning of William Friedkin's Rules of Engagement, the ambush attack scene is a good demo of directional effects and bass where the patrolling section is under attack by the Vietcons with mortar bombing.
however, this is not yet available in 4K where you'll experience the vibrancy of the greens and other colors. the blu-ray was limited that it may be hard to get now. your only available choice will be from streaming media. unless you're comfortable with DVD release which can be upscaled thru your player.

YANG

Screenwriter
We Were Soldiers, have numbers demo scenes. should we're just to look at the beginning, the ambush of Vietcons attacking the French patrolling troop is one good material to test your level setting on the surround channels. before the barrel of the AK assault rifle fires off with a sudden blast, you should be hearing Vietcon whispers and comms with their command center going around the surround channels.

YANG

Screenwriter
sit thru the first 10minutes or so of somber beginning of FACE/OFF, then your system will start to work in all channels that takes you for an adventurous ride with Hummer and Jet chase, Chopper and Jet chase, crash into hangar, grand scale shoot out, all the way till Castor Troy gets blew off to a cage fence.

that... is one exciting ride!
i think i'm going to another enthusiast's place, to dig out F/O DVD with the DDEX/DTSES remaster for Auro3D virtualization with his Denon X3800H to see during the airport runway chase, does the chopper really flies over my head... ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks