What's new

Help Looking for a Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

MoparMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan
Hello,

New here from Eugene, Oregon. I've decided to finally stop getting by with HTIB's, and piece together a solid Home Theater System. I shopped some sales over the past few weeks, and so far have picked up the Sony STR-DN840 receiver, and Klipsch KB-15's. So far I really like my purchases, the Sony seems to be easy to use, I know a lot of people said it was worth the extra dough to upgrade to the 1040, but I'm not going to look back. The Klipsch's I'm happy with for what they are, and extremely happy for what I paid. I'm using them now as L and R Fronts.

From here I want to go to a 5.1 system for now, it's a small living room, and I'm not trying to turn into the annoying neighbor. So my next purchases I'd like to get the Center, Surrounds, and a Subwoofer.

I think I want to purchase a Sub first. This is where I'm looking for the advice. I don't really have a budget constraint for the entire project, but convincing the wife to buy all the components at the same time is a likely issue. That said, should I purchase a Sub first, or should I buy the other speakers?

Also looking for advice on the Sub. Eventually may want to utilize my 7.2 capacity, but for now I just want to stay with 5.1. I don't want to rule out a DIY, as I'm fairly mechanically and technologically inclined, but with that said, this will be my first Subwoofer so I am leaning a bit towards a built Sub. My ideal price point for the sub is between 5-600, but I'd be willing to spend a bit more if there's a really good one out there just beyond my price range. I don't really have any brand loyalty as I am a newb, also haven't made up my mind on 12" or 15".

Any input, ruminations, or observations are gladly accepted.

Thank You, and glad to be part of this community.

-Nathan

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm a fan of Hsu subs too. You didn't say exactly how large your living room is, but you did say small so I'd say go with the 10 or 12 inch, the VTF-2 or VTF-3 (although bigger is alway better as long as your layout and checkbook allow for it).

As far as which to get next, either the center or the sub. Between them it's a toss-up, but I'd go with the center if you are primarily using for movies, sub otherwise.

The center really has to be from the same Klipsch line. The surround can vary, but it's best to stay in the same line there too. (The sub does not have to be in the same line, so no problem with the Hsu or anything else you decide on.)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MoparMan said:
Also looking for advice on the Sub. Eventually may want to utilize my 7.2 capacity, but for now I just want to stay with 5.1. I don't want to rule out a DIY, as I'm fairly mechanically and technologically inclined, but with that said, this will be my first Subwoofer so I am leaning a bit towards a built Sub. My ideal price point for the sub is between 5-600, but I'd be willing to spend a bit more if there's a really good one out there just beyond my price range. I don't really have any brand loyalty as I am a newb, also haven't made up my mind on 12" or 15".
.2 is really .1 with 2 outputs. Dual subs can even out the bass in a room but you should note that it is more difficult to set up.

Why go retail if you have the ability to build? What woodworking tools do you have? Can you build a box out of MDF? Do you have any size limitations? For $600 you can build a sub to match retail subs costing $1,000 to $2,000. Also, don't associate price with how loud it will be. You want more potential output to keep distortion to a minimum.

MoparMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan
I do like the HSU's as well, they've really caught my eye, and appear to have great reviews.

As far as the Klipsch center, Al, I kind of figured that, but didn't know for sure. But it really does make sense. If and when I do step up and add the Rears, definitely won't be in this house, would it make sense to stick with the same brand?

Robert, I have access to a tablesaw, bandsaw, drill press, router, and a planer. Along with a master cabinet builder who would likely be willing to lend a helping hand. I'm confident I could get a box built and hooked up. I have a corner that is roughly 2 1/2 feet x 2 1/2 feet pre-dedicated to a sub. I've done some research on a couple of TC Sounds woofer only that were suggested on this site, they seem to be high quality, and highly regarded. Any other woofer only, or DIY kits that you'd recommend?

Thanks,

Nathan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a bunch of TC Sounds drivers back when they were made in San Diego. I'm running dual 15" TC-3000's https://web.archive.org/web/20070224172836/http://www.tcsounds.com/tc3000.htm%C2 The 15" Axis is the equivalent current model.

But TC Sounds is expensive. There are many other manufacturers out there that make great subs for a lot less. http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60 The 15" or 18" are both popular models. The 15" would work perfect in this box http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/tc3000.html The 18" needs a 4 cubic foot enclosure. Behringer makes some great amps that are proven with home theater subs. They ususally require a fan swap but that's easy. It took me about 10 minutes on my Behringer amp.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Robert_J said:
.2 is really .1 with 2 outputs.
While technically accurate some current processors allow for independent calibration of each output and also allow for different types of sub layouts (front/rear, left/right ect). That wasnt always the case. Former dual output processors were a single output simply split internally, two sub outputs but remaining identical signals in every way.
Robert_J said:
Dual subs can even out the bass in a room but you should note that it is more difficult to set up.
How so? Near as Ive found it requires no additional knowledge that isnt already prudent knowledge for a single sub configuration.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
My pair was originally driven by an Onkyo 3007 with dual outputs that werent independent. Hsus are still here but that Onkyo is long gone.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
While technically accurate some current processors allow for independent calibration of each output and also allow for different types of sub layouts (front/rear, left/right ect).
I didn't know that. Does anyone have an example of a receiver that calibrates dual subs?
How so? Near as Ive found it requires no additional knowledge that isnt already prudent knowledge for a single sub configuration.
I assume he meant that you have to get an SPL meter and use a calibration disk. Something most people don't want to do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yamaha's current RX-A(10x0 and higher) and Integra (.3 models and newer at the top end).I think the Denon 4520 does as well.The Integra and Marantz pre-pros do it.Separate EQ control is relegated to the sumo class.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Having independent calibration settings is rare but that and auto calibration is the only way to get it set up without much effort. The delay (phase control) has to be either set indepent on each sub or they need to be EXACTLY the same distance from the listener.

In my case with DIY subs and using a pro amp without a phase control, I have them exactly the same distance from my seat. The new iNuke DSP series pro amps from Behringer have independent delay controls for each channel and that is one reason I'm looking at upgrading. Pluse they are class D (digital) and the NU6000 can put out about 3000w / channel

joedaddy5771

Agent
SVS, I love mine. I did a lot of research before buying and am very happy. PB-12nsa a bit more then your budget but look at the PB-1000 sub. I have 1800 sq ft room and it is all the sub I need. There customer service is second to none and you have to like the"bill of rights" with a 45 day in home trial and free shipping both ways says a lot about them. Look in the outlet for a great deal. I got mine and saved some $.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My room is much smaller and dual SVS CS-Plus clones couldn't keep up with my performance expectations. Everyone has different expectations when it comes to the bass region.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1800 sf?

That is bigger than my 40x40 room and I make due with a 30 year old M&K and tower speakers that achieve 40hz.

When I tested out the SVS Ultra, they sent along a 13Ultra sub(which I wasn't reviewing). My M&K is 80% of that sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If it is an open floorplan, you have to account for the entire area. If I measured my living room's total area, it would be much more than that since I only have doors on my 3 bedrooms and theater room.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I get that. But if his 1800sf counts over by his fridge in the kitchen...

Do you really need 105db of bass over there while grabbing a beer?

(By the way...in my 40x40 I have a mini-fridge. I was listening to music, forget exactly what, and kept hearing a shrill noise. Finally traced it to the beer being shaken...)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
I get that. But if his 1800sf counts over by his fridge in the kitchen...

Do you really need 105db of bass over there while grabbing a beer?

(By the way...in my 40x40 I have a mini-fridge. I was listening to music, forget exactly what, and kept hearing a shrill noise. Finally traced it to the beer being shaken...)
That would be the ONLY time I would ever say that someone has too much bass. But the quality of the beer could reverse that decision. You can shake PBR, QSL, Old Mil-yukky or "the Beast" as much as you want.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The beer in there right now...

Dragon's Milk, Well's Banana Bread Beer(good, but over-hyped) and "for her"...Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear Cider. (she tried Redd's...then found Angry Orchard which blew Redd's out of the water. Now we can't find AO again...so everytime we find a cider that isn't Redd's...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks