What's new

Subwoofer setup (1 Viewer)

greenmonster1970

Auditioning
Real Name
Juan
Hello. This is my first post and looking fir some help. I’ve had my speakers 20 plus years. They’re all klipsch. The fronts are rp5’s. They have 12 inch subs in them as well with their own amps. These are them. I also have a klipsch reference series 12 inch sub behind the sectional. The sub sound is incredible. Although I don’t think the single sub behind my couch is working. Actually I don’t think it ever has. My receiver is a cheapie. It’s a Sony str-dh550. It only has 1 sub output. So I run a cable from the amp to the one sub on the rp5’s the run out of that speaker to a Y cable. From that Y one side goes to the other rp5 and the other part of the Y goes to my klipsch sub behind my couch. I am I doing something wrong to not get sound out of the sub behind the couch. Is the Y cable the proper solution. I do plan on upgrading my amp for sure. Thanks everyone.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as everything is connected correctly, they should all produce sound. The cables should go from the sub output to the LFE In on one speaker, then from the LFE out on that speaker to the splitter, then both the outputs from the splitter to the LFE in on the other speaker and sub. You should be able to just feel the driver on the sub to see if it's producing sound.

As I said, they should all produce sound, but there's more to integrating subs into a system. Unfortunately, you have no phase controls on those speakers, and I don't know about the sub. Without phase corrected, the various subs can actually defeat each other. IOW, multiple subs can actually cancel each other out, as though neither of them is working. That's a worst case scenario, but it's likely there are serious peaks and valleys in the bass response.

There are solutions to that, like a MiniDSP, which is fairly complicated, but will get everything going. A new receiver might be able to calibrate two subs, which could work pretty well running the two fronts as one and the sub as another.

GMC ELECTRIC

Auditioning
Real Name
Guy Mckee
Hello. This is my first post and looking fir some help. I’ve had my speakers 20 plus years. They’re all klipsch. The fronts are rp5’s. They have 12 inch subs in them as well with their own amps. These are them. I also have a klipsch reference series 12 inch sub behind the sectional. The sub sound is incredible. Although I don’t think the single sub behind my couch is working. Actually I don’t think it ever has. My receiver is a cheapie. It’s a Sony str-dh550. It only has 1 sub output. So I run a cable from the amp to the one sub on the rp5’s the run out of that speaker to a Y cable. From that Y one side goes to the other rp5 and the other part of the Y goes to my klipsch sub behind my couch. I am I doing something wrong to not get sound out of the sub behind the couch. Is the Y cable the proper solution. I do plan on upgrading my amp for sure. Thanks everyone.
I think you send your coax cable to your 1st sub input and that sub should have an output jack to send a cable to the other sub? Are you sure those Klipsch speakers have true subs integrated or are they just a woofer? If they are true subs they should have input & output ability. Some subs are marked Left for input Right for output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks