What's new

Using External Subwoofer with Bose Acoustimass 15 Speakers (1 Viewer)

S205449

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
I would like to use an external subwoofer with my Acoustimass 15 Speakers.

I understand that the other Bose Speakers must be plugged into the Bose Bass Module for them to work correctly.

To keep things as simple as possible, can I just not plug in the Bose Subwoofer line to the Receiver and use a new external Subwoofer instead? I know I could have 2 Subwoofer lines going into the Receiver but that could make the setup more complicated.

My question is, will the other Bose Speakers work correctly without the Bose Bass Module Subwoofer line being plugged into the Receiver?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just plug the real, (active) subwoofer into the AVR's subwoofer output and leave your Bose Acoustimass as is. Just make sure to set up (and calibrate/tune) for them to blend properly/well (as normally needed).

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm confused. I'm not aware of any Acoustimass system that would be connected to the sub output of a receiver. So, it really shouldn't really even be an issue.

The short answer is... yes... you can use a separate sub with Acoustimass systems, but you must still use the bass module, which is not a subwoofer. You always have to use the bass module.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Man and I posted simultaneously.

So, after reading your post again, it appears your bass module does have an LFE (sub) input? If so, then yes, as Man said, you do not use that if you have a separate sub. You only connect the separate sub to a sub output on the receiver. Set your speakers to "Small" and set a sub crossover of 80Hz, to start.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, to be honest, there is no reason for an Acoustimass system to even have a sub input.

S205449

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Thanks for the feedback.

The Bose Accoustimass does have a LFE (sub) input.

I was trying to get around having to calibrate the Receiver for having 2 subwoofer slots plugged in, one for the new true subwoofer and the other for the original Bose Bass Module.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You always have to set the proper levels using a separate sub. There is no way to get around that. Full calibration isn't absolutely necessary, but level adjustment is.

The good news is, you can just connect it, and adjust the sub level in the receiver's setup if/when it seems too loud or quiet. That's not the perfect, by-the-book method, but it'll get you by.

Just don't use the sub connection with the Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks