What's new

Chances for The Three Stooges on Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Just wondering... what are the odds we eventually get the 190 Columbia Three Stooges shorts on Blu-Ray?

As far as I know, the shorts were remastered in HD for the 2007-2010 DVD collections. From a marketing standpoint, 2014 is the 80th anniversary of the Stooges joining Columbia. It would seem to be as good of a time as any.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
all sony needs to do is announce it, and I will be all over it, not just the shorts, want the films as well :P

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
I'd take the films as well.

How many Blu-Ray discs would you need for 190 16-20 minute shorts and a handful of 80-90 minute features?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The DVDs look excellent; I can only imagine that a BD release would look spectacular. I would buy them also. This time, please include English subtitles though.

As far as a disc count goes, this is only a guess on my part but I would say it would be consistent with the DVDs. One wouldn't want too many shorts placed on a disc to negate the value of the higher resolution.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
rdf8585 said:
How many Blu-Ray discs would you need for 190 16-20 minute shorts and a handful of 80-90 minute features?
My guess is that however many Blu-rays they'd need, a Blu-ray release just would mirror the DVDs (or 8 two disc sets). Plus, a two disc set enables them to charge more than they would for a one disc release.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have a soft spot for The Stooges -- many people today just don't get them at all -- as I grew up watching their shorts introduced by "Officer" Joe Bolton on NY's WPIX. The DVD sets that Sony released look spectacular... so much so that I will feel no need to upgrade them to Blu-ray, should they become available in that format. The cost would be quite high for what to me would be a minimal increase in detail. If I had unlimited funds, that would be one thing, but with so many other catalog releases staring my bank account in the face these days, I could not justify it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
If they include subtitles and new extra features, as the old sets had none of either (aside from the solo shorts) and threw in the movies it would be a no-brainer. The bonus disc had subtitles, but Sony keeps using this god-awful text display with huge black borders on their latest DVDs of the past few years. Thankfully, their blu-rays don't have this problem.

I suppose the chances are being heavily weighed in how the Ultimate Collection DVD set sold. If that sold very well, a blu-ray may be right around the corner. If not, we might be in for a long wait.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
It would depend on how Sony remastered the Stooge shorts for the DVD's.

If they did proper HD remasters, then the work is basically all done. The only expense would be the actual programming and manufacturing of the Blu-Ray's.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wow, I didn't realize that the shorts collections had no subtitles. Glad I skipped them. Which leaves a blu ripe for my pickin'!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JoHud said:
If they include subtitles and new extra features, as the old sets had none of either (aside from the solo shorts) and threw in the movies it would be a no-brainer.
Subtitles would be great, but can you imagine trying to capture all of Curley's noises in letters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks