What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Run Silent, Run Deep, The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming, and Coming Home (all redux) – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Three films being "re-issued" by Kino.

But I disagree with the term "re-issue," as each of these is a real upgrade with new authoring. Kino is selling their work short.

All three were originally released in 2014, and they looked fine. But now Kino has kicked things up a notch and raised the data throughput on each of them by and average of 50%, and this can be seen on screen. It's not night and day, and you won't notice it from that oft discussed nominal seating distance, but within a few feet of the screen, it's rather obvious.

Image – 8 - 9

Audio – 9 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from earlier Blu-ray - If you love the fllms

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 1

Very Highly Recommended

I'm a fan of all three.

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Run-Silent-D...822&sprefix=run+silent+run+deep,aps,75&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I know nothing about this film. I'm having fun trying to guess (by the title) whether it's a drama, comedy, musical or all of the above. Must look it up...

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Kino also added new commentary tracks to each, and slipcovers as well. They're not just improving the old masters that they have with better encodes; they're adding content as well when they can. It's the model for how to do reissues -- other companies should take notice (even if they probably won't).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Kino also added new commentary tracks to each, and slipcovers as well. They're not just improving the old masters that they have with better encodes; they're adding content as well when they can. It's the model for how to do reissues -- other companies should take notice (even if they probably won't).
I generally leave extras to bona fide HTF reviewers, who cover in detail.

My specialty is rare and distinguished slipcovers, and investment strategies thereof.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the Run Silent, Run Deep on pre-order mainly due to the fine audio commentaries that the two Stevens’ do on Kino’s “War” BD releases.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I have the Run Silent, Run Deep on pre-order mainly due to the fine audio commentaries that the two Stevens’ do on Kino’s “War” BD releases.
Juggernaut is also well worth picking up for the Thompson/Mitchell commentary.

I'm not expecting RAH to review commentaries since I know that's not his wheelhouse. I'm just pointing out that there's more than just the new encodes to justify picking up these Kino reissues.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Correction: Coming Home is the same extras, but it does add the new slipcover. The other two add commentaries as well.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! I received TRAC, TRAC in the mail this week, it is a slightly sharper image. Where you notice best is closer to the screen, I can now see Murial Everett's dental fillings in a close up.

LeoF

Auditioning
Three films being "re-issued" by Kino.

But I disagree with the term "re-issue," as each of these is a real upgrade with new authoring. Kino is selling their work short.

All three were originally released in 2014, and they looked fine. But now Kino has kicked things up a notch and raised the data throughput on each of them by and average of 50%, and this can be seen on screen. It's not night and day, and you won't notice it from that oft discussed nominal seating distance, but within a few feet of the screen, it's rather obvious.

Image – 8 - 9

Audio – 9 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from earlier Blu-ray - If you love the fllms

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 1

Very Highly Recommended

I'm a fan of all three.

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Run-Silent-Deep-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B0CP4G5793/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1NNH7Q2XYADHO&keywords=run+silent+run+deep+blu-ray&qid=1705577822&sprefix=run+silent+run+deep,aps,75&sr=8-1

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
They don't have new 1080p masters in these cases, let alone 4K ones. They're doing what they can to improve what they have by using BD-50s this time instead of BD-25s, and significantly upping the bitrates. It does make a difference, too.

If they did have access to new 4K masters for at least some of these reissues, I don't doubt that they'd spring for a 4K release. At a minimum, they'd use those new masters to offer even bigger Blu-ray upgrades. That's just not an option in these cases.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Somehow I never upgraded Run Silent, Run Deep or The Russians are Coming from dvd, so these are both must-buys for me, along with the Witness For The Prosecution upgrade. I have the blu-ray, but I will upgrade just for the new Joseph McBride audio commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks