What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Um, I have 6 anime DVDs, and they fit nicely between Braveheart and Die Hard. Does that count?

Andy Kent

Agent
Can I count check discs? In that case, it's over 500 easy... ;p

Seriously, I have something like 200 DVDs, almost all anime.

checked out some Azumanga... heh, no fear

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
the 400 is just anime DVDs...I have another 400+ of regular movies and stuff. ;P

I can't find any space...I'm already shelving things left and right and piling them pretty high...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Well... I have around 250 DVDs other than anime :p)
I don't think anyone (barring Chris Beverage whose collection IIRC is well over 1000) can surpass Kong ;)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Pretty slow here.
Tony-B: Every DVD counts. Just count the boxed sets once though...
As per Chris Beveridge's recommendation, I am checking out Zenki Collection 1-3 and the first three episodes were pretty fun to watch.
Recently viewed:
(ratings on a 5 :emoji_thumbsup: scale)
1. Excel Saga #2-#6 - this series turned me off when I first viewed it several months ago, but upon a second viewing, it turned into a laughfest. Watched the last disc in the beginning of this week, and it was so crazy and hilarious. LOTS of Leiji Matsumoto parodies, Gundam parodies, and tons of Puchuu's. And the infamous no holds barred episode 26 is just SO WRONG in so many ways that I just couldn't believe what I saw and heard...
Excel Saga 1-6 gets a :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: 1/2 to :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:.
2. Bubblegum Crisis: Perfect Collection - this is an "update"/"revision" to a classic late 11 episode 80's cyberpunk anime OAV called Bubblegum Crisis, featuring a group of female vigilantes in hardsuits battling insane out of control cyborgs called Boomers. The new version features more music and of course, 25/6 episodes. The extended episodes helps for better characterization, but I myself who enjoyed the older 11 OAVs found the new characterizations jarring. Despite that it tells a good tale of a group that fights for what it believes.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
What do you guys think of Ai Yori Aoshi? I have heard nothing but good things about this series and I was wondering if it was worth picking up (I gotta admit, I like the box ;) ). I have heard it compared to Love Hina? :confused:
Also, is this a limited edition box? I gotta have the box (sadly) :D
No new anime this (or next) week... thankfully

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
First off, Tony-B, my favorite song from X-Japan is Endless Rain (replying back your message).
Now onto anime, Bubblegum Crisis 2040 was so boring, I was in tears and luckily I sold the series off on Ebay, because it just plainly sucked big time. I didn't mind the new character design or the plot, which was so-so. It just wasn't BGC anymore. Nothing that made the original EIGHT (8) OVA eps series fun to watch. No good music, no good action sequences, no new boomers, etc.. Nothing, nada, zilch. And Woo, most avid BGC fans will say that Bubblegum Crush was never part of the BGC saga because Crush sucked as well.
And, Rob, go grab that LE box of Ai Yori Aoshi. You're gonna enjoy this romantic series.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Alrighty Kong, I am going to grab it from GameStop tonight. (I would order it online, but I need something new to watch this weekend ;) )
How many episodes is it? (it's 5 DVDs) :confused:

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Rob:

Hmm, good question. I am not sure myself exactly how many episodes there are in the series.

However, the box isn't too bad looking (unlike most Pioneer boxes are fugly...except for "Lain" and a few others).

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
For those wondering whether to buy Escaflowne TV series boxset, get it now via TheRightStuf (http://www.rightstuf.com). The price is now $144.99 for the entire 8 dvds PLUS the artbox it comes in. :) Isn't that a swell deal? :) That's only $18.75 per disc.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
whew... slooooow.
Since my internet connection is periodically going out (I think the network admins left early for vacaction),I have no more work to do in school, I am stuck in the TERRIBLE heat of Orlando (going above 90F today), and I can't leave till tomorrow... what to do? Watch anime! ;)
My lineup:
Films:
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
The Wings of Honnamaise
X:1999

Series:
GTO vols 2-3 (rewatch)
Macross Plus 2-4

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Stupid Rob, and his stupid, "Loook at me, I have anime and Tony doesn't! I can watch it all day, and Tony can't!" :angry: ;)
Anyways, I hope you have fun watching all of that... :D

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Oooh, let us know what you think of The Wings of Honnamaise.
I've had one other Otaku mention this as a must have so I'd be interested to hear if you agreed.
Ta.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Ahem:
Look at me! I have anime and Tony doesn't! I can watch it all day, and Tony can't! And I'll add a little "HAHAH... Tony has to go to school, while I am out till the end of August. Na na na na na na :p)" :D
Oooh, let us know what you think of The Wings of Honnamaise
I shall. I would have never bought it had Manga not have been blowing out DVDs for $10 at MegaCon (the transfer REALLY sucks from what I have seen).
;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey guys -
i almost picked up the DVD for ghost in the shell: stand alone complex.
however, i know for sure the place i go to sells bootleg stuff (in addition to legit). i don't believe it's maliscious (sp?) intent on their part...more like ignorance.
anyway, i checked out gits and it looked legit, but i wasn't sure. what kind of caught my surprise was that it was region free plus it had some sticker that said "japanese dialog only"..or something to that affect.
anyway, thoughts? when will this come out for sure??? i'm jonesin' here.... ;)

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
It's a bootleg. The only official release at this time of SAC is the R2 encoded version with Japanese only and no subtitles. The production company has even gone so far as to post on their forums pleading for people to stop dealing in fansubs/digisubs/bootlegs of the series as it's costing them money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks