What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Ryan Petrich

Agent
Well the next release of X is still a month away, so I figure it's time to get a cheap boxed set. Now and Then, Here and There is one series that interested me from the few episodes I watched. Any comments on it?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Now and Then, Here and There... never seen it, but I have never heard a bad thing about it :D I know it's by the same person that did Fruits Basket and THAT is a really good series ;)

Ryan Petrich

Agent
Now and Then, Here and There... never seen it, but I have never heard a bad thing about it I know it's by the same person that did Fruits Basket and THAT is a really good series
After doing a little research on both it looks like the two series are exact opposites of eachother. I'm a sci-fi kind of guy, so I think I'll give NTHT a try.

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Is Rorouni Kenshin an ongoing series in Japan? If so what is the current episode count on it? I like the series a lot but am just looking at the dvds and there are a lot of them and all of them are pricey. Just looking for some input. THanks guys.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ryan:
Get ready to be depressed with NTHT
Michael:
Rurouni Kenshin finished ages ago with 91 episodes on air. R1 DVD has 22 volumes. R2 DVD has 28 volumes. It's not that bad really. Lots of episodes to watch.

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Rob and Ryan:
Watching Now and Then, Here and There for the first time because you liked the director's other output is like watching Schindler's List for the first time because you liked E.T..
There are several jaw-dropping plot points and characterizations in NTHT, it's frankly a shocking prospect that it came from the mind of Daichi. FWIW, it's one of my favourite series' (and I like Fruits Basket too, go figure)

Ryan Petrich

Agent
Thanks for the input guys. I have seen the first two episodes so I have a bit of an idea what the show is like. I remember one particular scene involving the main villian and his cat that was quite shocking, so I am prepared for the most part what the series has to offer. I was mainly just wondering how the story plays out and if it's worth a spot in the collection.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
NTHT was recommended to me by Kong, and I certainly wasn't dissapointed with the purchase of the box set. Really interesting and emotional series, with some very smart writing.
Speaking of Kenshin, you might want to see what happens with the upcoming box sets. Then again they could end up being just as expensive or more so than just buying the volumes from DDD for $18 a pop. I need to grab the Kyoto Arc but have been holding on for ages - I may just wait till some announcement / word comes on the box sets :).

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input Kong, that is a lot of DVDs to buy but I'll get started right away. I can usually find really good prices online. If you have any suggestions on where to find them cheap i'd definitely appreciate them.

Getting close to the release date for please teacher. I can't wait to go pick up the first dvd and watch it. Hopefully it will be as interesting as it seems.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
any suggestions on where to find them cheap i'd definitely appreciate them.
I do all my preordering through Right Stuf, they have really good prices if you order at least 30 days before the release date (and even better prices if you join their "Got Anime?" club). I love them because of their free shipping for orders over $100, no tax, and very personal service w/ excellent customer service. Very highly recommended by me.
:D

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Michael:
You can always try DeepDiscountDVD.Com to find some cheap anime. Now, they don't always have it for cheap, but if you really want to know who's the cheapest online, I recommend using DVDPriceSearch.Com, add all the volumes into your basket and click on compare and it will give you the lowest rate (make sure to click from which state you are in) including shipping charge and tax (if applicable).
Of course, if you want to pre-order stuff, Right Stuf always seems to carry every limited edition out there in existence. :) And they don't run out as fast like most places do.

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Rob and Kong. I will definitely try all those suggestions. We'll see what happens. I am also probably gonna start the Inu Yasha collection. That may be a rediculous idea but oh well, what ya gonna do.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
[rant]HAPPY EASTER![/rant]
It's a wonderful day to be an anime fan! LOTS of licensing and release news today from Anime Boston...
(took this stuff from the AnimeOnDVD forums by AOD member 'wolve' [digested here for your pleasure by yours truely!])
ADV
Licenses
-Azumanga Daioh
-Final Fantasy Unlimited
-Director cuts of the last six episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion (WOW! :eek: :eek: )
-Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai (Magical Shopping Street Abenobashi) [I thought Synch-Point would get this for sure!]
Release Dates & Misc News
-dubbing for Nadesico movie should start in a couple weeks
-BGC 2040 Champagne box in the works
Bandai
Licenses
-Witch Hunter Robin [PLATINUM SERIES!!!]
-Spirit of Wonder new OVA
-Kikaider airing on CN in June
-Kikaider dvd release starts in August
-Saber Marionette J Ultimate Collection in August (SMJ, SMJ Again, and SMJ->X)
CPM
-Alien 9 dvd release in July, manga in May
-Here is Greenwood in licensing hell
-New Urotsukidoji will have 5.1 tracks in both Japanese and English
Manga Entertainment
Release Dates
-Orguss 02 - 9/30
-Macross Plus boxset - 9/30
-Evangelion movie boxset - 10/28
-Gunbuster boxset - 11/15
Pioneer
Licenses
Mahoromatric Season 2 [WOOHOO!!]
Haibane Renmei (4 dvds) (reconfirmed)
-Yuki Kaijira "Fiction" CD coming out in US before Japan
-Heatguy J - 7 dvds at $29.98 each (2 LE boxes planned)
-L/R in November
-no comment on Macross Zero
Synch-Point
Licenses
-DigiCharat Movie
-Leave it to Piyoko!
Release Dates
-FLCL vol. 3 (two versions: with and w/o box) - 7/22
-Tenshi ni Narumon (I'm Gonna be an Angel!) vol. 2 - 1-2 months after FLCL vol. 3
:D :D :D
(I am just SO excited about Witch Hunter Robin: Platinum, Magical Shopping District, Mahoro 2, and ESPECIALLY the Eva redux.)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Macross Zero said:
What is with Synch Point and cute shows? Ugh...sugar shows...ugh, stop the agony... I hate DigiCharat with a passion. No more "nyo" for me please. Thanks.
At least they're gonna continue with I Wanna Be an Angel. The hiatus between vol 1 and vol 2 is too long.

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I too thought (and hoped) Abenobashi was going to go to Synch-Point. But at least this way it will get a wide distribution.
Go ADV!

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
WOOHOO
Witch Hunter Robin , AzuManga and Haibane Renmei!
Finally some new stuff being licenced.
Hopefully Naruto will be next...by a company that puts more than 3 episodes on a disc :)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Good news. I might have to look into Witch Hunter Robin. The only other things I am interested in are the EVA director cuts, the EVA movie box set, maybe Mahoromatc, and maybe Macross plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sbaker1991
Recent bookmarks