What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Oooh.. Mahoromatic Season 2 eh?
[burns] Excellent [/burns]
I just got those in the post yesterday morning after reading some pro reviews somewhere or other on this forum and enjoyed the first disc much more than I expected to tbh.
I shall definitely be on the look out for the next set.
In the meantime can anyone recommend me anything cyberpunky? Preferably with a minimum of giant robot things. I've just come of the end of my Ghost in The Shell : Stand Alone Complex imports and feel like adding something in similar vein. :D

Andy Kent

Agent
Both are very funny and have heavy, heavy amounts of Japanese culture (which I have no idea how ADV will cover the amounts of Japanese cultural references). AbeShou is full on in Osaka dialect and they speak really, really quickly in this series. Good luck trying to understand it because the dialogue makes no sense. It's erratic for the most part.
You're not seriously suggesting that it's worse than Excel Saga, now are you, Kong? ^_^

Andy
bring it on!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Oh no, an Osaka dialect... hopefully ADV doesn't dub it as a bunch of Lousiana rednecks like Bandai dubbed Mitsume in Love Hina ;)
Andy, good luck with the subs! I am looking forward to your timing work. Excel Saga will be mine as soon as the couple it as a "Perfect Collection", like we know they will :D

Ryan Petrich

Agent
Oh no, an Osaka dialect... hopefully ADV doesn't dub it as a bunch of Lousiana rednecks like Bandai dubbed Mitsume in Love Hina
One of the main characters in Abenobashi is actually French, so there's a good chance they will give her a really bad french accent. That's one reason why I stick to subs :)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I watched Pet Shop Of Horrors on Saturday afternoon/evening (it arrived last week). Pet Shop Of Horrors is an ok anime with horror theme episodes. The character of The Count was ok but the storylines of the 4 episodes was weird.

IMO, an ok anime but the storylines were weird.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Andy:
Abenobashi... is worse than Excel Saga, even for 13 episodes. There's a lot of history context in the later episodes. Yet, there's a lot of other contexts that are very quick in speech but are not visual puns. I would say Abenobashi... has just the same amount of visual puns as Excel Saga but twice the cultural references. If you're gonna be subbing this Andy, be wary, the speech is very fast (not as fast as Excel) but fast in terms of conversation, back and forth.
As for Azumanga..., the cultural context is subtle but highly relevant. They do make references to current Japanese pop culture. I know that ADV will most likely change it to American pop culture in the dub, but that is distracting. But there is more cultural type stuff of Japan that goes on and in addition a lot of Americans don't understand how the school system works in Japan.

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Excel Sagawas pretty good. That it was.
Hey Rob how are you enjoying RahXephon? I heard that is was extremely Evangelion-esque which is sort of holding me back on buying it. What do you think of what you've seen? Some good releases coming out soon. That there are. Can't wait to see what the rest of the year holds in store for us.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rob how are you enjoying RahXephon?
I liked the first and second episode when I watched it fansubbed, so I bought the disc. I watched through the first 5 episodes on the disc, and though I kind of like it, I don't like it enough to continue the series disc by disc... I think it is a C+/B- series.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Must be like Trigun. I was ready to give up after the first 5 episodes but I woulda missed out on an amazing story.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I can't STAND shows that are crap for the first half and recover in the second half! :angry:
Sorry, I just don't have time for shows to dilly-dally ;)

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I definitely understand where you are comin from Rob. I want to have my attention grabbed from the beginning and never let go. But I am willing to give RahXephon a try. By the way, will you be in Orlando this whole summer? I may be traveling down there and would love to check out your collection if it can be worked out.
Has anyone seen Infinite Ryvius? It looks pretty good from what I've read about it. Was just wondering if it would be worth my time to pick the DVDs up in September.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Micheal... unfortunately, I am leaving on Tuesday the 29th for the duration of my summer break. I am going to be in Fort Lauderdale till the 25th of August working for next year's anime ;) (except a month up north in Massachusetts w/ family when I am going to Otakon and Scooterpalooza 2K3).
After that, you are welcome to come over... although I usually only keep around 30 anime titles here at one time (I don't have the room here for every title in my collection, so I rotate them around every time I go home).
:D

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Rob:
I pity you, again! All my DVDs are piled on high on racks that can't support them anymore. I definitely need to buy 2-3 more racks so I can place these DVDs and clean up the room.
Rahxephon doesn't dilly-dally, it does character intros in the first few episodes, because there's too many important characters (it's one big ensemble), and then goes right back into action. It's more an A storyline.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Pushing 240. I think... I will check at home.
Wish I was really filthy rich so that I could buy all the series at once. Oh well...
cURRENTLY IT IS 246 BUT I HAVE MORE ON THE WAY - ZENKI COLLECTION 2, PRINCESS NINE, ETC ETC...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks