What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If it has subs... it is a bootleg. There ya go. :D
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has been licensed by Bandai (even before it aired) and will PROBABLY be released later this year. I am pretty damned sure it will be in their Platinum Series line too... but you will have to wait till they say it themselves at a con. :)
On a side note, it was SUPPOSED to be released simultaneously w/ the J release, but it just didn't happen. It is also rumored that Cartoon Network will be showing it.
Whatever they do, this is my favorite show of the 2002-2003 season. Hopefully they will give it the same treatment they are giving .hack//SUCK :D ;)
EDIT: Damnit Chris! ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx rob too.
i assume you're half-kidding with your subs=bootleg comment since i have several dvd's that are subbed...correct?
just wanna be sure i know what the heck i'm typing about...
;)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
i assume you're half-kidding with your subs=bootleg comment since i have several dvd's that are subbed...correct?
You know what I meant ;) :D
All Region + subs 98.2% of the time means BOOT :D
(I know that Odex in R3 does R0+subs... but that is about the extent of it)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yup! thx again... :D
do you guys think i should say something to the store? i kinda feel like it's not my place...

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Re: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
There's no way in hell Bandai can concurrently release this series along with the Japanese or else they would have to release it at 2 eps per volume like the Japanese. And I think after their releasal of Blue Submarine No. 6 concurrent with the Japanese market, they got a lot of flak for it. Plus, I doubt Cartoon Network would show it unless the whole series is done, which won't be for awhile anyways.
Anyway, the one you're seeing is definitely a bootleg, Ted.
I own the R2's (6000 Yen (~$50 USD) per volume @ 2 eps each) and it definitely does not have any English subs or anything else that would interest English buyers. However, they're very beautifully well done. :)

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
I own the R2's (6000 Yen (~$50 USD) per volume @ 2 eps each) and it definitely does not have any English subs or anything else that would interest English buyers. However, they're very beautifully well done.
Yep, me too. Complete with the addition of all that shipping to the UK (and the tax, curse you HM Customs!) it's perilously close to being the most expensive series of DVD's I own (not even eclipsed by that Escaflowne LE box set).
It's a great series though, if you're not Japanese enabled so to speak I recommend you check it out as soon as it makes it out in a legit version with English subs.
The first episode almost gets by on looks alone but the rest of the series is a bit more plot/character driven. Loving it to bits and expecting my 4th and 5th DVD's through the post in the next few days! Hurrah for DHL!
Actually I'm going to go put it on right now.. I love that intro. (Now if someone wants to explain the little bot bits at the end for me that would be great. ;))

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Chris Beveridge:
Sorry to say but if I am not mistaken, there will be many who just won't care (though hopefully, not TOO many). I frequent the GameFAQs messageboards and the cavalier holier-than-thou attitude held by those who d/l and/or bootleg just pisses me off to no end.
I have had many mixed thoughts about the "brave new world" of the world wide web, and the sad fact is that many seem to view information as "free" when in reality, it is NOT by any means. I know people will believe what they want to, but the amount of pure BS and crap that they believe often befuddles me.
Back to anime...
By the way, thanks for recommending Zenki here, Chris. I have seen the first 13 episode set ( and just got the second and third 13 episode sets) and it's a blast - mahou shounen is what I would term it, for lack of a better term.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Ooooooo mama. :D
Just announced from Right Stuf... Boogiepop Phantom Limited Edition Collector’s Ultra Box! (bet ya can't say that 5 times fast!)

From the press release "Available exclusively at Best Buy, this Special Limited Edition will collect all four Boogiepop Phantom DVDs, the two Boogiepop Phantom Soundtracks (the Boogiepop Phantom: Original Soundtrack 2 CD Set and the Boogiepop Phantom: Music Inspired by Boogiepop and Others CD), special Collector’s Edition Collectibles such as Limited Edition Boogiepop Phantom Card Set and Pencil Boards!"
Now up for preorder at TRSI for $71.99
Release date is June 17, 2003
And here's a coupon from the latest newsletter:
Description: $5 off your $65 order
Coupon Code: newsletter3503
Expiration Date: May 1, 2003
multiple use allowed per customer
Hurry! There are only 625 sets left at TRSI as of right now!

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Oh...my....lord.
And I just bought the Boogiepop Phantom set last week!!! AAAARRRRGH! :)
Anybody curious to check out a more experimental anime should give this one a look, with non-linear character-centred plotlines, and one of the best sound designs I've ever heard for a TV show, this series will definitely keep you watching with a pencil and paper on hand to write down all the connections between places and characters.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Definitely worth the purchase if you haven't already bought the individual releases OR the perfect collection.

I feel sorry for those that bought into both previously and now are probably drooling from this picture.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Should I or shouldn't I bring back the crickets? I assume its because everyone is watching new anime! :)
*crickets sound off in the silence of this forum*
Arghh! My Rightstuf order for Princess Nine Bundle is delayed!!! :frowning: :angry: :frowning:
Well, still have to finish Zenki #3, and Vampire Princess Miyu TV. Not to mention I just got myself a Gamecube, Zelda: Windwaker, and Mario Sunshine... :D

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
So, is anyone here gonna go watch Ghost in the Shell: Reloaded?
Oops...
I meant Matrix: Reloaded... :D
:p)
----
Oh, where, oh, where, has our little Joe gone? Oh, where, oh, where can he be?

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Kong, there's no need to be snarky about it. I thought the Wachowski brothers had publicly stated it as a heavy inspiration.

And yes I'm going, whether it's good or not remains to be seen, but it's an event.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Better give this a bump...
Only 465 Boogiepop Phanton LE boxes left! *gasp*
:D
The only new anime I am getting this week is the Please Teacher(Onegai Teacher):Limited Edition box from Bandai. MMMMMMMmmmm.... now if only Right Stuf would ship it, I would be a happy man :D

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Rob I am also very excited about the Please Teacher set. I can't wait until it gets here. And my Rurouni Kenshin collection is coming along very nicely.
What is the general story of Boogiepop Phantom? The set looks beautiful but I'd like to know generally what it is about before I rush out and put monies down. Although I'm sure I'll buy it anyway just to say I have it because I'm rediculous like that. :b
As for Matrix:Reloaded I think it will be interesting to say the least. WE'll see just how well the plot holds up and hopefully it won't completely degenerate into just a lot of action scenes played continuously. Which is cool in its own right but not worth paying 6 dollars to go see it. Gotta love the student discount though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks