What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

You voted and the results are in! (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
And not to forget the overdue praise for the whole concept and execution of this poll and especially how the results were handled: Thanks to everybody involved for starting it and getting 9 titles out of this poll certainly is rather spectacular and also that a write in title is added in, too. 9 titles is a serious commitment by Fox and iirc more than several other studios release each year and it is 5 more titles than they promised initially! So while I still hope that Fox releases a few more of their older titles besides those in the poll as part of a regular schedule 9 titles in one year as selected here is really very good and I would hope that other studios do something similar in the future (minus mediocre John Wayne movies that is). As has been said above Fox really showed class on this one, now looking forward to Carmen Jones which unfortunately was my only personal favorite that made it, but I will probably also get a few others.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
OliverK said:
Very true, The Undefeated is no classic at all, it is not even one of the twenty best John Wayne movies. I really dislike the fact that the inclusion of the two John Wayne titles basically rendered the 60ies polls useless for all of us who are not John Wayne fans or should I better say not fans of EVERYTHING John Wayne? For comparison sake and I know the site is not the definite one with regard to taste in movies: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/filmorate The Undefeated is the 60th (!!!) ranked John Wayne movie by ratings and North to Alaska is 35th - really glad that we now will get the 60th best movie of Johne Wayne on Blu-Ray instead of lame stuff like The Agony and the Ecstasy and Two for the Road :rolleyes: I guess it could be worse - we would probably have gotten 8 Johne Wayne movies, no matter how mediocre, if the poll had included 2 of them for each decade!
As a John Wayne fan, I can speak for all of us saying that we want ALL of the Dukes films on BD. I speak for myself however in saying that neither of those 2 are classics that should be a part of this line. In any case, I'm very happy to see them released. Please don't give us John Wayne fans a bad name just because those two titles won and Two For The Road and Agony didn't.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
David Weicker said:
Well, it is the lone Best Picture to not be released on its own (only available in a box-set with several other previously released titles). If it had had a stand-alone release, it might not have gotten so many votes. As for its quality, well that's up to everyone's personal tastes. But being a Best Picture does set it apart from many other films.
That's pretty much why it got so many write ins. Collectors and movie buffs got burned when that title was included as an exclusive in an uber-expensive $500 boxed set without being made available in a stand-alone release (either stateside or anywhere else globally). It's not surprising that this title was specifically targeted when the option to write-in was made available. Also, considering it was one of Fox's last retail DVD releases, it probably already had an 1080p transfer made for that release.

Lromero1396 said:
As a John Wayne fan, I can speak for all of us saying that we want ALL of the Dukes films on BD. I speak for myself however in saying that neither of those 2 are classics that should be a part of this line. In any case, I'm very happy to see them released. Please don't give us John Wayne fans a bad name just because those two titles won and Two For The Road and Agony didn't.
I agree. I'm sorry your films didn't make it and hope they do soon. I hope everyone's favorites make it to Blu-ray. Just don't start going elitist on us. There must have been an awful lot of votes for the Duke to finish 1-2 in the poll.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
David Weicker said:
Well, it is the lone Best Picture to not be released on its own (only available in a box-set with several other previously released titles). If it had had a stand-alone release, it might not have gotten so many votes. As for its quality, well thats up to everyones personal tastes. But being a Best Picture does set it apart from many other films. David
OliverK said:
Ah, I understand, it is a completionist thing then! From what I read it was not really considered that good by many even back then but an award is an award I guess...
Actually, I quite enjoy it.. I can understand why others might not, but I think it is a very fine film. And I'm not sure where you got the idea that people from the time thought it wasn't good - its based on a very popular Noel Coward play, and it wasn't a shock or an upset when it won. David

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
John Hermes said:
I agree. I'm sorry your films didn't make it and hope they do soon. I hope everyone's favorites make it to Blu-ray. Just don't start going elitist on us. There must have been an awful lot of votes for the Duke to finish 1-2 in the poll.
There must have indeed been many who voted for these two which was my exact point - these are not exactly among the most popular movies with John Wayne and still they won - we probably could have had another two John Wayne movies in the other decades and they all would have won - do you think that makes sense? I have 7 or 8 movies with John Wayne on Blu-Ray myself and probably another 10 to 15 in other incarnations so it is not like I don't like The Duke, but he is just too big for such a tiny poll :D

OliverK said:
There must have indeed been many who voted for these two which was my exact point - these are not exactly among the most popular movies with John Wayne and still they won - we probably could have had another two John Wayne movies in the other decades and they all would have won - do you think that makes sense? I have 7 or 8 movies with John Wayne on Blu-Ray myself and probably another 10 to 15 in other incarnations so it is not like I don't like The Duke, but he is just too big for such a tiny poll :D
I don't know if it's FAIR, which may be what you're really saying, but it makes perfect sense. The guy is popular.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
Actually, I quite enjoy it.. I can understand why others might not, but I think it is a very fine film. And I'm not sure where you got the idea that people from the time thought it wasn't good - its based on a very popular Noel Coward play, and it wasn't a shock or an upset when it won. David
Found quite a few bits here and there and also that King Kong and M were not even nominated that year, here is a rather good critical summary: http://nighthawknews.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/the-history-of-the-academy-awards-best-picture-1932-1933 I have to admit though that the classification as one of the weakest Oscar winners can only be made in retrospect plus all the reviews I found on certain sites turned out to be more recent and probably more critical than back in the day when it won. In any case I might give it a spin if it gets available as a rental in my neck of the woods.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
John Hermes said:
I don't know if it's FAIR, which may be what you're really saying, but it makes perfect sense. The guy is popular.
Correct, very popular and some say so popular that Fox does not need a poll to determine if they want to release these movies with him on Blu-ray. But then they will release 7 more movies so I am fine with the overall result.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
Can't blame John Wayne fans for voting for John Wayne, that would be silly and this is not what I am doing. I just questioned the selection process, especially for The Undefeated that does rank so low. So no bad names for John Wayne fans only the hope that in the future his movies might be released just like that - he still is THAT popular.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Cavalcade is very good news!
I will finally be able to retire my VHS-version. I would add "can't wait", but of course we have been waiting so long already.
Too long.
Thanks, Fox!
Cees

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
Calvacade is good news 9especially if you've never seen it) but better news would've been Hitchcock's "Lifeboat", the only 20th/Fox Hitch and one of his best.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Cavalcade is very good news!
I will finally be able to retire my VHS-version. I would add "can't wait", but of course we have been waiting so long already.
Too long.
Thanks, Fox!
Cees
I agree. Very much looking forward to dumping that VHS for a sparkling (I hope) Blu-ray.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well congratulation’s to the winning votes, looks as if we all win in that aspect, and hope that FOX goes on and offers that opportunity again to those of us here on the HTF.
I would like to have seen the overall data on the write-ins, and how many different titles that were posted that way as to see what could happen. I bet there were some surprises that they were not expecting, or more of what to put as an opportunity for a second vote.
Myself as write-in’s utilized that feature every day, so many great choices that I would love to see released. My continuous rolling list of write-in’s during this vote.
The Ox-Bow Incident
My Darling Clementine
Any One Of the Charlie Chan Films
The Fly (Price)
Lifeboat (Hitchcock)
Sunrise: A Song Of Two Humans
Thank you at Fox for this opportunity, and I look forward to the releases . Hopefully MGM which they distribute for will do something similar, which would be outstanding.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I knew it would not win but, I wonder how many votes Inferno in 3D did for write in votes?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I did my part on Inferno in 3D and can only hope it eventually amounts to some attention being paid.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Where was the love for some of the entertaining classic Fox widescreen films such as Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and The Best of Everything. And of course The Agony and the Ecstasy. Perhaps these are destined to become Twilight Time titles?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
GMpasqua said:
Hard to believe  "Call of the Wild" "Black Swan" and "Jesse James" received more votes than "Two for the Road" I never voted for the 30's and 40's titles because I didn't want them and figured it would skew the voting. and yes, the John Wayne were a given and shouldn't have been included in the voting
I daresay I was disappointed to see two John Wayne films in the 60's category (though in fairness, there were two Tyrone Powers in the 40's). North to Alaska is at least a minor classic and it does not surprise me that it was included; but The Undefeated is to me (a John Wayne fan, BTW), just a minor film distinguished only by the teaming of Wayne and Hudson. I was sad to see it scarf up so many votes. At least Fox (and all other studios) should now know the Duke still has it (duh). I wonder if all the films on the ballot had already had some work done for eventual Blu-ray release, and they were just trying to gage popularity to determine release order preference? The Black Swan had already been released in a rather stellar DVD, so I would think it is almost good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks