You voted and the results are in!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Adam Gregorich, Mar 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Hard to believe "Call of the Wild" "Black Swan" and "Jesse James" received more votes than "Two for the Road"
    I never voted for the 30's and 40's titles because I didn't want them and figured it would skew the voting.
    and yes, the John Wayne were a given and shouldn't have been included in the voting

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Really? I'm personally surprised they are coming that early. It takes a good while to prepare films for Blu-ray. 9 months from deciding the exact titles to release is pretty good.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    It wasn't about overall number of votes, but the winning (or now first and second place) title per decade. So the films in the 30s were only competing against other films from the 30s, not from any other decade, etc.

4. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    I realize that they are only completeing with each decade's titles, but do you really think there is a bigger market for some of those titles - maybe there is

5. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I know some people who lose all interest in anything made after 1934! But seriously, I think with the passage of time and the way history shrinks the years, it's getting to the point where 1954 seems nearly as ancient as 1934, so, yes, the markets are fairly comparable.

6. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

I assumed that these titles had already had image harvests done and masters created and were just sitting on the shelf waiting, like so many Fox catalog titles. Does it really take 9 months to produce the discs if the image harvests and restoration have already been done? The reason for my assumption was Fox's failure to include many titles worthy of release and their decision to include many titles which obviously wouldn't sell in the voting.

7. PODER

PODER Second Unit

PETER JABLONSKI
    CAVALCADE! YES!!! I can't wait to enter my pre-orders, and am delighted with the coupons. Did I get everything I wanted? Of course not. But this is a great start.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I imagine preliminary prep work has been done with all the titles in the poll, but I doubt all the work necessary to release any of the titles is already finalized. The poll was likely to actually determine which titles to prioritize for moving to the next phase of actual release, including any further image & audio cleanup.

9. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    I would also believe a handful of these titles will be released through through Twilight Time - They did the isolated track on "Can-Can" and that would not be a big seller for Fox, I would guess "How to Steal a Million" (unless WB snaps this and "Two For the Road" up for an Audrey Hepburn Box set) and "Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" may also find their way to Twilight Time.

10. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Except for Desk Set, which I seem to have purchased too many times on dvd, all of the titles will be immediate purchases! I am especially excited about Black Swan and Jesse James!

11. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

Look at The Egyptian, which went to Twilight Time. The master was finished; completely restored and awaiting release before it was sent to Twilight Time. But maybe that was just the movie and Fox has to take some time to create extras, master discs, run tests, etc. But hey, if the long wait means a product of top-notch quality, then I'll wait.

12. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    THE TALL MEN is available in a gorgeous, REGION FREE Blu Ray from Koch Media in Germany. I hope Koch will release the other two mentioned as well as a Blu of FROM HELL TO TEXAS (though their standard release is beautiful) and THE GUNFIGHTER. The DVDs and Blus I have seen from them have been stunning.

13. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Seeing that Desk Set and North to Alaska have already been released elsewhere I doubt that much work is necessary to bring these to Blu-Ray!

14. kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle Stunt Coordinator

The Koch Blu of The Last Sunset looks worse than my DVD of the film, so I guess it all depends on what the studio gives them.

15. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Very true, The Undefeated is no classic at all, it is not even one of the twenty best John Wayne movies. I really dislike the fact that the inclusion of the two John Wayne titles basically rendered the 60ies polls useless for all of us who are not John Wayne fans or should I better say not fans of EVERYTHING John Wayne? For comparison sake and I know the site is not the definite one with regard to taste in movies: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/filmorate The Undefeated is the 60th (!!!) ranked John Wayne movie by ratings and North to Alaska is 35th - really glad that we now will get the 60th best movie of Johne Wayne on Blu-Ray instead of lame stuff like The Agony and the Ecstasy and Two for the Road :rolleyes: I guess it could be worse - we would probably have gotten 8 Johne Wayne movies, no matter how mediocre, if the poll had included 2 of them for each decade!

16. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Koch seems to release whatever they can get and this includes stinkers like The last Sunset and El Cid as well as very nice releases like The Tall Men and Time Bandits. I have no idea about their contractual arrangements with studios but imo they should strive to release only titles above a certain quality - it would show rights holders that not every crap will get released just because it might be a tiny bit better than DVD quality, if at all.

17. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Welcome to the club, I must have missed the memo and what makes this movie so great and worthy of release. I would sincerely like for somebody to explain this to me.

18. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Well, it is the lone Best Picture to not be released on its own (only available in a box-set with several other previously released titles). If it had had a stand-alone release, it might not have gotten so many votes. As for its quality, well thats up to everyones personal tastes. But being a Best Picture does set it apart from many other films. David

19. cityscope

cityscope Auditioning

Haven't read all the other responses, but... This is a REALLY classy way to handle a month-long poll like this. I regret my earlier angrier post from before the results were announced. And I know I'll be picking up at least half of the titles (including BOTH winners from the '50s - 2 great movies I've wanted on BD for a long long time). Cheers to FOX, to all who voted who got any of their personal picks released so far, and to the Forum for hosting and promoting this entire effort. Well done all around.

20. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Ah, I understand, it is a completionist thing then! From what I read it was not really considered that good by many even back then but an award is an award I guess...