What's new

wiring advice (1 Viewer)

jbudman

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Budman
First, I am a speaker newbie so please allow me to apologize for asking what might be stupid questions. :)

I am looking for advice on the best way to connect 8 transducers to an amp for a haptic setup. Each transducer has an impedance of 8 ohm, and a power rating of 5W RMS / 10W peak. The amp impedance range is either 2-8 ohm (specs) or 3-8 ohm (printed on the amp itself), and can output 100W.

How best to combine the transducers in series and parallel to match the amp?

Using an online impedance calculator (https://geoffthegreygeek.com/speakers-in-series-parallel-calculator/), I came up with the following options so far:

Option A: Connect 3 in series, 3 in series, and 2 in series. Then connect the 3 sets in parallel. Total impedance: 6.86 ohm. Some transducers receive 8.3W and others receive 18.7W. Max power is 87W.
Option B: Connect pairs in series. Then connect the 4 pairs in parallel. Total impedance: 4 ohm. All transducers receive 18.7W. Max power is 150W, which might damage the amp or distort sound.

1. Is Option A or B better, or even another combination?
2. What are the considerations for choosing the overall impedance? Is it best to aim for 2 ohm, 8 ohm, or somewhere in the middle?
3. I already have the transducers and amp, and I would like to come up with something appropriate for this equipment without buying something else.

Much obliged for any suggestions and advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks