What's new
World Wide Stereo

Who has actually built Dan Wiggin's 175L Vented Tempest design? (1 Viewer)

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Sven,

I actually built (2) Iso-tempest subs a while back, these are the four drivers my buddy is using now. I used 20 inch sonotube, and bolted both drivers on the bottom end in a clamshell config. I've got this design somewhere at home, but I think it was 3.25 cubic feet, with a 4 inch flexy port 40 inches long. The Q was .5, they played very deep, but not overbearing. I will confirm the specs, and let you know for sure.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
Sven,

Ask Dan Wiggins for the John Morris Iso-Tempest design.
He has it among many others on his Computer...hell he probably has it off the top of his head.

18" sonotube...Net Volume is 115L.
Mild polyfill stuffing
2 15" tempest mounted clam shell on bottom.
Ports 2x4"...about 22" long. experiment.
at least 4" legs on bottom.
tuning is about 18 Hz.
You can also plug these ports and Viola'
a Sealed 230L tempest design. Low Q.
not as loud or as low...but very, very good sound.

250 watts is fine. MOre is OK if you calibrate.
get a Rumble filter in the mix. It pays off.

It sounded very good Vented

Sven_DP

Agent
Thanks Carl (and the rest of you), I'm just worried about the look of a isobaric sonotube. Driver sticking out, ugly long legs. I'm considering the DT300 amp, will I need two of them to power the two Tempests? With the long ports needed with isobaric design, wouldn't I loose most of the volume advantages? I've been reading a lot about isobaric the last days and it seems that the main advantage is volume related (and maybe a lower tuning point) at the expense of...money and complicated construction...?

Just another question if I may : If I keep the tube between let's say 110 and 140L net volume, would I still be able to use a vented Tempest design or should I take the Shiva instead? The first option would let me keep the Tempest the day I made a bigger sonotube after all. The second option is cheaper and from what I understand a little bit more 'musical'?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks