What's new

SVS PB2-Ultra Test & Review (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank... Perhaps another B4... but the description Robb has given, plus Ed's review of the PB2 Ultra... can a B4+ and the PB2-Ultra co-exist ? "

Sure they can!... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank... Perhaps another B4... but the description Robb has given, plus Ed's review of the PB2 Ultra... can a B4+ and the PB2-Ultra co-exist ? "

Sure they can!... :)

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"In difficult rooms this is an even bigger factor...

Combine that with a small office off the back side acting like a variable bass trap with the door open vs. closed..."

Mark,

Ignoring for a moment my room's seats and other removable ancillaries...do you think is been deleteriously affected by the laundry and storage sections...as well as the film projection booth which is located immediately behind it?
I mean...are these sections, which an intrinsical physical part the HT room, affecting sound reproduction in the manner that you refer to as "variable bass trap"?
Am assuming you read my post regarding my room's dimensions in this thread, but if not, would you terribly mind doing so?

I'll greatly appreciate your input... :)

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"In difficult rooms this is an even bigger factor...

Combine that with a small office off the back side acting like a variable bass trap with the door open vs. closed..."

Mark,

Ignoring for a moment my room's seats and other removable ancillaries...do you think is been deleteriously affected by the laundry and storage sections...as well as the film projection booth which is located immediately behind it?
I mean...are these sections, which an intrinsical physical part the HT room, affecting sound reproduction in the manner that you refer to as "variable bass trap"?
Am assuming you read my post regarding my room's dimensions in this thread, but if not, would you terribly mind doing so?

I'll greatly appreciate your input... :)

-THTS

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Frank,

I saw in another thread your daughter took some photos so I PMd you with my personal email address. Any and all photos are welcome!

-Robb

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I saw in another thread your daughter took some photos so I PMd you with my personal email address. Any and all photos are welcome!"

Robb,

I haven't seen your PM...nor any posts e-mail notifications from HTF for that matter (I get them from other Forums with no apparent problems). Weird!
I'll PM you with my e-mail address (although I think is available on my "profile" section).

Yes, my "kid" took a few pics of the two crates, particularly the damaged panel on one of them.
Will talk to her tonight and see what she says...

-THTS

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
We're "gettin' the Led out" on this July 4th long weekend, and I was inspired to add a few waterfall chart hotlinks (thanks to HTF members Rudi B and MingL), and three more music reviews.

Life with the PB2-Ultra remains blissful, and it continues to impress with accuracy on all types of music, and effortless delivery on movies (we watched Stargate last night, and the DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete soundtrack had plenty of deep, strong bass). :emoji_thumbsup:

Ed

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ed - Tom V. Suggested twin PB2-Ultras for our soon to be re-done basement theater room... Well, actually he also mentioned another B4+, but I mentioned wanting to try the Ultra driver... I was hoping twin PC-Ultras would suffice, the idea of getting two 200 pound subs down there seems like WORK .... We have plenty of time though... the room should be done around October

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well, with your taste in woodwork and fine furniture, I would imagine the PB2-Ultra would trump the PC-Ultra's on sheer aesthetics alone.

You know it's just a matter of time before a TV-12 makes its way into your home; my vote is for twin PB2-Ultra's.

Although another B4+ would be "the sh!t"......decisions, decisions. :b

Cheryl Crowe is crooning her way through the DTS-ES version of 2001 "The Globe Sessions" as I type this. She has matured into a far more sophisticated and insightful performer since her 1993 "Tuesday Night Music Club" days. Sound quality is very good (many think DTS is a "lossy" format, but it delivers here), and again I find myself listening to the music instead of the speakers and sub. I love a well-integrated quality sub for music; it just sounds like full range music - seamless, coherent, and balanced.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

That I don't need. There might be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let it fool you about what's inside. ;)

Craig, I think you bring new meaning to the phrase "being moved by the music". :b

Nothing to see here folks....moving on.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I was hoping twin PC-Ultras would suffice, the idea of getting two 200 pound subs down there seems like WORK ...."

It is! :eek:

Say what? Jumping off the B4+ ship already?... :D

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank sent me his arrival of the B4+s photos, and he now hsa a page for that. Hopefully we'll see photos of the 8 16-46s in a week or two."

Hi, Robb!

Thank you indeed for making it possible to post pics of some of my HT stuff. Really appreciate it.

Pics of the 16-46 CS octet array will be taken soon, but not before some badly needed clean up is performed all around their place of residency.
I need to do that because I don't want to run into another embarrassing situation as I already encountered when I enlarged the one pic of the B4+ that's closer to the Sony TV set; the base of the steel speaker stand where the small Athena monitor rests is full of hair from my dog Tonto (he's an old Border Collie and man, do such breed of dogs shed hair!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
)...something which I missed cleaning up prior to my daughter taking photos of the subs... :b

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank:

What TV set? What Atena monitors are you referring to? All I see is that beautiful B4+."

:D :D :D

-THTS

jeff.adams

Agent
Ed:

First, let me add to the list of people who have thanked you for your incredibly detailed reviews of the SVS PB2-Plus and PB2-Ultra. Next, let me say that I did searcht this entire thread for what I'm about to ask, so I'm not completely lazy, but, I admit that I did not re-read every post. I figure someone (or multiple people) have asked this already, so, please forgive me, and please feel free to reference anothet post. I looked at the 2 reviews side-by-side and was attemping to compare the Plus to the Ultra, but it appears that you used different movies for your measurements (of actual in-room performance).

The question is, besides the gorgeous finish on the Ultra, what else is improved in the Ultra over the Plus? I'm sure a couple or a few dB of extra output, but, anything else? Is there a subjective (or objective :)) sense in which the Ultra just "sounds better" at comparable levels?

Again, I apologize for repeating what must be a common question. Perhaps I just need to printout and re-read both reviews again to find my answer.

Thanks,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks