What's new

SVS PB2-Ultra Test & Review (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeff:

Thanks for the props, and it's no problem covering this question.

You nailed the furniture grade finish.

The PB2-Ultra also has the single band cut-only PEQ feature; very useful for taming a single peak in the response curve.

Finally, you've got the vaunted TV-12 driver. Yes, the dB-12 is nipping at its heels in terms of THD limited output; the TV-12 only has about a 1.5-2 dB advantage in that respect.

But the TV-12 has an underhung VC that maintains a consistent motor strength over the entire excursion range. The TV-12 VC also has ridiculously high thermal power handling limits (several thousand watts for 8-10 seconds). This means it can continue to convert electrical energy into useable output (instead of wasted heat) under extremely adverse operating conditions.

And yes, nearly all who have heard both woofers will tell you that the TV-12 subjectively sounds slightly better than the dB-12, even at lower volumes.

The dB-12 is a GREAT woofer for the price and offers the most bang for the buck in the SVS line-up. The TV-12 OTOH is the finest cost-no-object 12" woofer that TC-Sounds and Tom Vodhanel could design/build - PERIOD. A case of diminishing returns? Sure. But ask Tom, and he'll tell you the TV-12 is "worth every penny".

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
the TV-12 only has about a 1.5-2 dB advantage in that respect.
__________________________________________________ ____

Ed when you refer to the TV-12 having a 1.5-2 db advantage over the dB-12 driver, would it not be a fair assumption that the PB2-Ultra has a 3-4 db advantage over the PB-2+ then? In terms of headroom and performance we're basically looking at a PB3-Plus(3 db gain per driver) if there was such a sub not taking into account the different curve> (BL) and I suppose EQ?

I gave the B4+ a strong consideration, but in the end decided on the PB2-Ultra with the new pricing option. With having run the PC-Ultra for a short time it influenced my purchase direction also. That's one heck of a driver as you know. The amount of L Freq spl that thing can put out without bottoming and sounding as if there is more to give, is beyond me.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

It's the underhung 10-layer VC. It just gives the driver all sorts of authority, even when being driven very hard.

I didn't know you went for the PB2-Ultra?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know you went for the PB2-Ultra?
__________________________________________________ ______

Yes I did Ed along with the 10-ISD about a week or so ago.

I'm not quite grasping your analysis of the TV-12 driver over the dB-12 driver though. I'm missing something in my math. The PB2+ has two dB drivers and the PB2-Ultra has two TV-12 drivers. Each of the TV-12 drivers in the PB2-Ultra has 1.5-2 db advantage over each db driver in the PB2-Plus right? If this conclusion is so? my question to you is why would not the PB2-Ultra have a 3-4 db advantage over the PB2-Plus? EQ?

Because both subs are using two drivers, the net advantage of the PB2-Ultra will remain at 1.5-2.0 dB in terms of THD limited output.

I'm missing something I'm sure, but I am having a heck of a time figuring it out.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
The logarithmic nature of sound can drive you nuts.... Looking at your example... let's say one dB-12 can "do" 115 dB at one meter... and one TV-12 "does" 117 dB ...And we use the idea that 2 TV-12's will be 4 dB louder than 2 dB-12's ... and that each doubling of co-located gets a 6 db increase .... then at, say, 32 x 12 inch drivers... the dB-12's would "do" 145 dB .... (doubling drivers 5 times = 30 dB) ... if each doubling of TV-12's added 2 dB in additional ouput... you would see 155 dB... or ten times the output, a 900 % increase. Of course, that won't happen.

So... with the single TV-12, at 2 dB more powerful than the single dB-12... or 60% more output... 32 TV-12's will STILL have a 60 % higher output than the 32 dB-12's ... or 2 dbs...

Ned

Supporting Actor
If

1 DB12 = 110db @ "x"
2 DB12 = 116db @ "x"
8 DB12 = 128db @ "x"

1 TV12 = 112db @ "x"
2 TV12 = 118db @ "x"
8 TV12 = 130db @ "x"
--------------------------
2db regardless of how many

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Craig you spl robber you. Ok I'm thinking and have heard of logarithmic but not very familiar. If I go from one to two subs colocated I get a 6 db bump and a 3 db increase with each additional sub. Apparently I can't use this train of thought with the ............Ah Thank you Ned.

Who brought up this question in the first place. Was it you Ed:D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Not me, buddy. Some guy named Steve. ;)

I can't believe you didn't send me your PC-Ultra for testing before returning it to SVS.....party pooper. :frowning:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe you didn't send me your PC-Ultra for testing before returning it to SVS.....party pooper.
__________________________________________________ _____

I know you have had allot on your platter lately and as you might recall? I did offer before me taking possession. Tell you what! I'll give you one more chance and offer the 10-ISD your way if your not to busy with HSU:D (Playing now) This is a sub that has to be reviewed. If you drop the ball on us, I'll have to do it amongst others. You know you don't want old add-hock doing it.. :angry: :laugh:

>>Steve sent his pc ultra back? Why, PB2 Ultra in black for 1799?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Ron, in his infinite kindness, has bestowed upon me a PB10-ISD review sub. They are in short supply and I'll likely have to give it up to another reviewer after I'm done, but I'm getting one! :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ed - AFTER you are done.... That will be one SERIOUSLY broken in subwoofer...

I don't suppose you will still have the STF-2 there for some blind testing ?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

The STF-2 is now sitting silently in the corner, and the PB2-Ultra is back to its normal music/HT duties.

I'll have to eventually return the STF-2 to Hsu Research. I was waiting for the STF-2 review thread to wind down before I shipped it back.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Ron, in his infinite kindness, has bestowed upon me a PB10-ISD review sub.
__________________________________________________ ____

Thank goodness! My heart was there anyway and it seems as though the review is a done deal then.:emoji_thumbsup:

jeff.adams

Agent

That's awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with! And still hoping for pictures of the other finishes (better check the svs site before I make a request that's already been fulfilled :)).

Thanks,
Jeff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hey West/Steve nn

No worry, your newest to be in-route 10 and Ultra will get it's best impression from it's owner/user, you.. By now I think you got a pretty good grasp on what a good sub sounds like...

Reviews are great and a few here do an excellent job at it! But it's still numbers in their controled conditions (a good thing TN style) and gives a nice base line comparision but tells one only so much. Nice way to compared figures/numbers againts different subs when done properly. It has it's place and can help one to narrow sub decisions down.
Certainly, a good thing Martha style.;)

After that tho, the rest is the user/reviewers own impressions as is with most anything.

So let the testers test and review as this can really help many make a decision as to what sub/s they might look into, but hey, you'll be the judge and jury of your own new SVS toys.

East

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Reviews are great and a few here do an excellent job at it!
__________________________________________________ _____

Yes definitely East/Geoff. Couldn't agree with you more more and therein lies my anticipation for a review by Ed or the like.

>>but hey, you'll be the judge and jury of your own new SVS toys.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"Ron, in his infinite kindness, has bestowed upon me a PB10-ISD review sub."

For those of us on a limited budget, this is one anticipated review. Intro pricing on the PB10 is good till the end of October. My purchase will be either this sub or the STF-2. Thanks for taking on this daunting task. :D

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks