Agent
Real Name
brankulo
i currently purchased following speakers for my home theater

definitive tech pro1000 center

pro1000 front speakers

pro800 rear speakers

onkyo608 7.2 receiver

i need sub. there is one from def tech that is serie to the speakers pro sub 800 for $399. my budget for sub is quite limited though an i was thinking to go with either with this one or this one. more likely with 10" cheaper one. how do they compare with def tech one? def tech one states that it goes down to 20hz. jbl go down to 27 or 25hz. is def tech number even correct since it is only 8"? my room is arounf 15'x15'. would like to spend $300 the most. thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A 4" speaker will play to 20hz. It won't be loud but it will reproduce a 20hz signal. Does the Def Tech give a -3db point on their sub? 20hz may be -10hz or -20hz.

A 10" Lava Sub will beat either one of those JBL's you linked to.

brankulo

Agent
Real Name
brankulo
thanks rob, here is link to def tech sub spec. i am not that educated about all the numbers to look for. i had read to check for low frequency first.

why do you think so about lava sub? i see the low for this sub is 37hz. what else does affect its performance? just wandering.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The specs for the DefTech are 20hz - 150hz. They give no variation so that could be + or - 3db or +or - 10db. You never know.

The Lava sub is 24hz to 450hz + or - 3db.

Ignore the wattage rating on both subs. You can't compare the wattage of a sealed sub to the wattage of a ported sub unless you know the proprietary details of the amps involved. Plus, ported subs are just more efficient. That goes back to Hoffman's Iron Law (google it).

brankulo

Agent
Real Name
brankulo
rob, so are you suggesting i go with lava sub? i checked their website and see there is 12" version for $40 more than my limit. i could probably pony up some $$ to get 12" one. my question is though what can i expect from it comparing to 10" one. i will not definatlelly play it extreme loud. again my room is 15x15x11, i do 50% movies rest is split between music and games.

thanks again

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm giving you hard numbers and you have to decide to go with a relatively new brand or a known brand. If you did decide to go with the Lava, bigger is always better in my head. This is coming from a guy with dual 15" subs.

In the sub world, the more you push your sub, the more distortion it creates. Think of it like a car. A 4 cylinder motor runs at 3,500 RPM at interstate speeds. A V-8 runs at 1,500 RPM at the same speed. While the 4 cylinder is struggling, the V-8 is loafing along. A loafing subwoofer is a sub that is keeping distortion to a minimum. If you watch action movies and play action games, then you want your sub to properly recreate an explosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks