What's new

What color for ceiling? (1 Viewer)

Steve U

Grip
Getting close to decision time. Looks like I've settled on drop ceiling tiles, but I plan to paint them with a light coat from a Wagner Power Painter to make them "disappear". The question is, what color? My walls will be burgundy, carpet pretty close. I have boxed out a duct that runs down the center of the room, so it won't be all tile, but I can't decide between matching the color of the wall, or using a flat black. The tiles, track, and boxed-out duct will be the same color, but what color? Any advice?
------------------
Link Removed
(click logo for HT pics)
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams...
- W. Wonka

Steve, I painted the ceiling in our home theater dark Burgundy. The walls are a burnt orange, the trim is a cream color and the drapes are gold. the carpet is also cream with gold specs. I went with dark colors so when the lights are down low the theater is much darker.
James
------------------
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum!"
Little Bijou

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Butt ugly flat black. At least you'll have the ideal color for home theater. Of course, if I were painting the room I'd probably have most of the room black. Picture quality does come first afterall...
wink.gif

Dan
------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
I painted my HT 18% neutral grey including the ceiling, but with a matte black wall where the projection screen is mounted. The grey ceiling is far better than white which it was before, but I am about to go "matte black" for the ceiling (will leave the walls "as is"). First and foremost, to make it completely "disappear" during movies. Dark grey reflects a lot more light than I would have ever imagined. But also to be a better background for the black finish track lighting I am installing as the next major upgrade to the room.
I've been in a lot of HT rooms with various color schemes and have found those schemes with a matte black ceiling to be the most effective. With the proper lighting (for intermission and other times when the movies aren't playing) :>) the effect can be very dramatic and pleasing as well.
Burke
------------------

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
My GF has matte black on her bedroom ceiling (don't ask me why) with an off white/cream color on the walls. When the lights go off, even with a little light coming in from the windows at night, the ceiling disappears. Its really hard to imagine just how a little lighter color will reflect that much ambient light. I would say go with a flat black.
------------------
Crash
"Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus TWO plus one plus one..."

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Here's my plan.
Because I do not want to paint my ceiling I am going to use black felt to cover it. What I am going to do is buy the felt in 3'x10' lengths. Attach the felt to 10'x1/2"x1/2" piece of wood trim (painted black). I plan on letting the felt droop down an 1" or 2 from the ceiling in between the 3' spaces to give the ceiling a soft pillow effect which should look nice and promote some additional sound absorption. My room measures 12'x10' so I will build 4-3'x10' panels. The panels should be light enough allowing me to use drywall screws and attach them directly to the ceiling with minimum damage to the ceiling itself.
The felt is $2.99/sq.yd. and the wood trim is $1.10/length. All-in-all the cost should come in under $50.00. I am going to build one run and place it to see how it looks this week before I do the whole room. If it looks the way I am picturing it to, it should turn out really nice. We shall see.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
RonSig.jpg
The Green Room

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks