What's new

Weekly Roundup 11/12 (May The Force Be With You!) (1 Viewer)

I'll throw in my $.02 as well. Just got back from the Rockford, IL Walmart, and they matched $9.99 for AOTC and $24.99 for LOTR. I got there about 1:10am, and the cashier told me she'd already rung at least 50 price matches through for AOTC.

I generally hate Walmart as a rule (I haven't been in their store for well over a year), but I have to say, they didn't give me any problems price matching.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I had quite an experience tonight going to Wal-Mart to get AOTC. I live in North Dallas and had to go to 3 different Wal-Marts till I found one that A) had the movie out B) had the Widescreen version out. If I had to guess, the place I finally located the dvd at had a 3:1 ratio of pan and scan to widescreen. truly sickening.

-- Matt

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
I had quite an experience tonight going to Wal-Mart to get AOTC. I live in North Dallas and had to go to 3 different Wal-Marts till I found one that A) had the movie out B) had the Widescreen version out. If I had to guess, the place I finally located the dvd at had a 3:1 ratio of pan and scan to widescreen. truly sickening.
I live in Dallas too, and I went to the Wal-Mart on Midway Road, and they wouldn't price match. Some manager gave me the excuse that because the TRU ad doesn't state the words "two-disc," they can't do it. I left everything I was going to buy and went to another wal-mart and they allowed it.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
I had no problems at Walmart. Unless you count the slight delay as they looked for someone who'd walked away with part of the "Star Wars" display. :laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just walked back in the door from Wal-Mart.
As I approached the Electronic Dept., I saw another fellow, already with AotC in his hands...and a 5-disc LotR set! I walked right up to him, touched the giftset, and asked where I could find that. He pointed to a shelf just next to the Elec. Dept. registers, which had 3 more copies of it, along with all the other new releases they were putting out. I grabbed one, and a wide AotC, and the other guy and I talked about whether or not they had South Park. A nice lady (not the same one as Spider-Man, but just as nice) came to ask if we needed help. I asked about SP, and she said all their new releases were on the shelf we were just at.
She said to let her know when we were ready to check out, and I asked how much AotC and LotR GS were. She scanned them: $14-something (everyday $19.24) and $64.99, respectively. So I whipped the Toys R Us and Best Buy ads out of my pocket, and showed them to her.
She looked them over qucikly, and instantly came to the conclusion that I was owed a price match...no hassle whatsoever. She rang in both, while sweetly talking about how surprised she was that "Chris" (the Dept. Mgr?) had "missed these".
Turns out she had to call a CSM over to approve the discount on LotR, since it was a $15 difference. She quickly told the new lady that she had verified that I was owed the match, and that the gentleman behind me was buying the same things and should get those prices, too. I offered to let them keep the ads, since I was done with them. I was then quickly rang up, charged, and left the store. No hassles; all was well.
While we were waiting on the CSM, and then waiting on the other guy to check out so I could walk out with him and chat about DVDs (hello to him if he's reading this; I mentioned the Weekly Roundup! :) ), I tried to casually impress on the employees how much I shopped there on weekends for groceries, and how appreciative I was that I could come in and get these pricematches on these items. I thought it was good to let them know that I supported them, as long as they support me with these zero-hassle low prices! :)
A great, quick trip costing me $59.98 plus tax for 7 discs...nice!

Dan Steffen

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone deserves these low prices it is you David;) Keep up the good work and thanks for everything you have done:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It's times like this that I wish we had a 'green with envy' smiley.
I have to wait to get my LOTR EE, since I was a dummy and pre-ordered it from Best Buy. I called earlier today to try and cancel, explaining to "Kevin" that I'd rather just pick it up at the store.
Alas, it shipped already - and I ain't buyin' two! :laugh:
All those Jedi Knights will have to occupy my time till the LOTR set arrives. EVERY tuesday should be like this! :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
They're cool! A bit smaller than I thought they would be, but also heavier at the same time. Overall, they're neat enough...certainly the detail is pretty much as nice as I expected! :emoji_thumbsup:
I must say, overall the packaging is breathtaking on the giftset and the actual 4-disc set itself that sits cozily inside. The Natl. Geo. disc - in snapper - is in a slot between the back panel decorating the background of the bookends and the back of the giftset box. Other stuff (fanzine, trading cards, "movie cash") are in the slot with the Natl. Geo disc. The snapper for the latter has an offer for an item that some ultra-diehard fans might wanna spring $599.99 for! :eek:
Scott: That's great!...but better saved for the Reign Of Fire week Roundup! :wink: What site is that from, anyway?

Luke D

Agent
I got my copy of AOTC @ 8:00am in Philly Wall-mart no problem price matching the TRU ad. can't wait to get home tonight.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, I normally would have just gone to BB to pick up the FotR gift set, but guess what.... the local Best Buy is closed this week! :eek:
Yup, our BB is one of the old, small ones, and they've built a big new super-sized BB across the street. They've closed Monday through Thursday to move, and will reopen Friday. I'm sure they'll have plenty of box sets on Friday, but I'm not in the mood to wait, so I popped into WalMart this morning and got the $49.99 price match. I WILL be watching the EE tonight!!
Gonna be a LONG day at work, though!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Wife Bravely faced 50 Star Wars fans waiting for a $9.95 AOTC this morning ! But I scoffed a WS Copy ! Great Deal.

David Jones

Agent
Just returned from TRU in Kingstowne, Va (3 minutes away) with copy of ATOC. It's true, $9.99 w/tax= $10.44. Was there when doors opened, about 20 people with me. They had one display case in Stars Wars toys section, initially with Fullscreen only which most of the mothers with kids scarped up. I'm getting panicky now but a few of us asked about Widescreen and the manager went in back and returned with an armload of Widescreen DVDs. Cashier open, no waiting, out in 5 minutes. My receipt says "You Saved $10.00" and "Your friendly cashier was Bebay". Thank you TRU and thank you Bebay...indeed!!

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Just got back from Wal-mart. FoTR was already matched to $23.74. SW had a tag with the price $19.74, picked it up and asked the lady stocking if they were matching the TRU price, she says yes, the cashier already knows :) The cashier told me she would be seeing SW in her sleep tonight :) They had the FoTR EE for $47, but the extra DVD and bookends just weren't worth it. Worst part is FoTR is part of my Christmas, so I gotta wait :frowning: but I have Clones, and can always rent the EE from Netflix nothing wrong with that right :)
Chris

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Just got back from Best Buy, and not only did they price match the TRU price (without the ad) they also gave me the calendar. All I did was ask and she said that it was dependent upon a sale and not just at our price. Picked up the LoTR EE, but not the box set, I just couldn't see spending the extra cash right now. Other than my DVD fetish I am trying to pay for a ring - if you get my drift:D .
Rob

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
TRU: They handed out slips for either FS or WS AOTC (and most choose the WS edition. It took about 5 minutes to get checked out (20 people in front of me when I got there).

Wal-Mart: They beat TRU by one penny on the AOTC price. They put all the FS on display at the front of the store. Disgusted, I walked back towards the electronics section and found the WS copies of AOTC, pick that up for $9.98 (today only), and picked up the LOTR:EE for $24.88. The clerk was moaning about having to field the calls for AOTC's price all day long today. Wal-Mart did give me a Yoda print with my purchase.

Media Play: They did honor the $9.99 price for the Season 1 box set for South Park. The clerk thought it was an error (and expressed surprise at the price), but rang it up anyway. Another customer in line couldn't believe it rang up for $9.99 either, but I just told him to look at the flyer on display near the entrance area.

Best Buy: I didn't go into that store.

Costco: LOTR:EE was $25.48. They didn't have a price on the AOTC DVDs (all were WS), and I didn't bother asking. Didn't see South Park. But they had a bunch of the Beauty and the Beast Christmas DVD, and the Winnie the Pooh Christmas DVD as well for around $16-$17 (I think).

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
9:06am arrive at Toys R Us White Plains NY
9:26am Explain widescreen to customer on line.
9:30am Doors open
9:32am See customer I explained widescreen to asking for widescreen version.
9:33am panic as clerk hands me "Fullscreen version"
9:34am Pay for Star Wars DVD $9.99 + tax=$10.76
9:48am Get on bus & go home.

Now all I need is for my LOTR gift set to show up & I'm really happy.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks