What's new

Home Theater United Episode 40 - Black Friday Preview 2022 with Todd Erwin (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Peacock is also running a Black Friday sale. $0.99/month for 12 months for their paid w/ ads tier (which provides access to all of that programming locked behind the pay wall that the free with ads tier is always teasing us with).

Use coupon code SAVEBIG during checkout. Offer expires 11/28/2022.
Amazingly, I don’t see anything I even want to pay $1/month for. I have more streaming options than I need already.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Amazingly, I don’t see anything I even want to pay $1/month for. I have more streaming options than I need already.
My wife and I watched Minions: The Rise of Gru this evening on Peacock, something she's been bugging me to rent. If I had rented it, it would have cost much more than $1, and we only had to sit through 90 seconds of ads in the beginning.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So, we talked on the podcast about using a 4th or 5th generation Echo Dot as an eero wi-fi extender.

A friend got me the 5th gen Dot as a Christmas gift, and I attempted to set it up as an extender yesterday. It was a bit more work than it should have been (part of it was that it was not ordered as a gift, so was registered to the original purchaser at first). It then required linking my eero and Amazon accounts, enabling eero built-in on the eero app, then enabling the eero skill on the Dot. At first, it would not enable because the Dot was too close to an existing eero device. Then it would not enable because it was out of range of an eero device. When I finally got it properly situated, the speeds were flakey, sometime giving me a decent download speed in the upper 60 to lower 70 Mbps range, but would frequently drop all the way down to 12 Mbps. Granted, the maximum speed supported is only 100 Mbps (making that 60-70 range acceptable), but the fact that it would drop suddenly down to 10-12 was unacceptable. If you are already using Echo devices in your home, and you have a completely dead area in your home, then yes, this would be a relatively inexpensive way to fill in that dead spot. Just don't expect blazing speeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks