What's new

Home Theater United Episode 40 - Black Friday Preview 2022 with Todd Erwin (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Sam Posten
I want to clarify a bit on the Panasonic 420 and 820 for projectors :)

The Panasonic 420 / 820 do static tone-mapping. IIUC, they were developed in cooperation with JVC and specifically work great with JVC before JVC added its dynamic tone mapping (DTM) to the NX5/7/9 series back in 2019 (IIRC).

For someone like you with a projector preceding the advent of integrated DTM, the Panasonic 420 is regarded as a great, cost-effective improvement for projector tone-mapping.

But if you have a more recent projector from the JVC NX, NP, NZ lines, you’d use its integrated tone mapping and disable the static mapping from the disc player.

My impression is with recent Sony projectors, particularly this year’s XW5000/6000/7000 and Epson LS12000, you’d also use their built-in HDR system over the Panasonic’s static mapping.

(If you care to do a comparo in 2023, I’ll have the Panny 420 in my system soon and we could do some A/B testing between its static and NX7’s DTM. :) )

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Sam Posten
Dolby Vision and projectors…

I’ve only read about this, no personal experience, but: Folks at the other forum have been playing with using HDfury devices to fake DV-compatibility to a streaming box. The streaming box then uses its internal DV algorithm and sends the DV mapped video and the projector gets DV output.

It sounds kinda crazy, but the enthusiasts swear by it and say it dramatically elevates performance of devices like Epson LS12000 that otherwise don’t have sophisticated built-in tone-mapping.

My take is this is definitely in the hobbyist-effort realm. But it could potentially be interesting for an older projector like the JVC’s before the NX series.

(But I’m not pursuing this myself so I can’t offer any demo on it.)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Peacock is also running a Black Friday sale. $0.99/month for 12 months for their paid w/ ads tier (which provides access to all of that programming locked behind the pay wall that the free with ads tier is always teasing us with).

Use coupon code SAVEBIG during checkout. Offer expires 11/28/2022.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
@Sam Posten
Dolby Vision and projectors…

I’ve only read about this, no personal experience, but: Folks at the other forum have been playing with using HDfury devices to fake DV-compatibility to a streaming box. The streaming box then uses its internal DV algorithm and sends the DV mapped video and the projector gets DV output.
It's crazy expensive tho, right?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Crazy coincidence. Take 5 Audio is where I bought my Thiel CS 3.6s almost thirty years ago.

They've moved, though. They were somewhere in the vicinity of North Haven back then.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Not madVR.

tell the AppleTV your display is DV and make the aTV use internal DV algorithm for tone mapping.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Best Buy apparently still has plenty of the older Apple TV models on closeout, but nowhere near the blowout price Amazon had:

32Gb 4K: $104.99
64Gb 4K: $114.99
32Gb HD: $94.99

Current lineup is also on sale:

64Gb 4K: $123.49
128Gb 4K: $142.49

All three models, as well as the current lineup, include 30 day trial of FuboTV, 3 month trial of Apple TV+, up to 4 months trial of Apple Music, and up to 4 months trial of Apple Arcade.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I tried to sign up for the Hulu Black Friday Deal, but now that Disney has consolidated to a single login for all of their online services, they are cracking down on those who use rotating e-mail addresses to take advantage of the deal. I used the address that has not been signed up with Hulu for nearly TWO YEARS, yet I was considered ineligible since that was my old email address for Disney+ but had to change it to the same address I use for DMI rewards to get the monthly points for using D+. So their system sees the older address as still active but not signed up for Hulu. :angry:

There's apparently fine print that you need to be off their service for at least 1 month before using the deal, so be aware of that before reactivating...

_Man_

Or use a different e-mail address...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks