What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (3 Viewers)

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
JoHud said:
Most major Samuel Goldwyn wave since the Danny Kaye Collection. The titles in bold have never been released on DVD.
Raffles (1930)/ Raffles (1939)
Almost half of these films are new to DVD. Not bad. Especially look forward to the Raffles double feature. Never seen them before but they look like a good companion piece to the Arsene Lupin double feature films.

Not sure if the others have any new mastering (probably not), but this seems to be a good sign that there is some gradual remastering work on films that never made it to DVD....Is Eddie Cantor right around the corner?
More Colman is never a bad thing.
I have the Laserdiscs of the Raffles double feature and they looked to be in very good condition (much like the Cantors).
Definitely purchasing this and re-purchasing the other Colman titles out today.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I was hoping "Enchantment" would have gotten a Blu release, if not mainstream then certainly via the Archive. I have the original-issue DVD; I can't imagine this MOD DVD version would be any better.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert Crawford said:
TBH, I have basically stopped buying Archive titles as I patiently wait for more of their titles to be eligible to the few sales they still have every now and then. As far as the increase in shipping, another motivation not to do impulse purchases from them until I get enough of the titles I really want to become eligible for free shipping. If things are getting tighter for them then the same is happening to me as I already have too many titles I don't have enough time in the day to watch, but only a small percentage of them, I do have time for.
I've stopped buying their Archive DVD-Rs as well but for a different reason. A lot of the titles they release in the Archive end up showing up on WA Instant streaming serviced in HD. For example the Andy Hardy movies. I bought PT-109 from the Archive then they put in on iTunes in HD, so I felt screwed. So I've suspended buying DVD-Rs and am holding out for HD downloads.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark-P said:
I've stopped buying their Archive DVD-Rs as well but for a different reason. A lot of the titles they release in the Archive end up showing up on WA Instant streaming serviced in HD. For example the Andy Hardy movies. I bought PT-109 from the Archive then they put in on iTunes in HD, so I felt screwed. So I've suspended buying DVD-Rs and am holding out for HD downloads.
I agree, it's another reason for me to stop buying their releases too as I watched the HD steam of Scene of the Crime this past weekend.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robert Crawford said:
TBH, I have basically stopped buying Archive titles as I patiently wait for more of their titles to be eligible to the few sales they still have every now and then. As far as the increase in shipping, another motivation not to do impulse purchases from them until I get enough of the titles I really want to become eligible for free shipping.
Similar situation here. I only bite on the multi-disc sets or double features right away (better value), though I did make an exception for the Joe E Brown films last week. Otherwise, it's sales only for me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
JoHud said:
Similar situation here. I only bite on the multi-disc sets or double features right away (better value), though I did make an exception for the Joe E Brown films last week. Otherwise, it's sales only for me.
I also bit on the Joe E. Brown titles also. The June Alyson and Goldwyn films will wait until a sale.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Amazon recently wound down a sale where most of their WA titles were slashed to half-price; a rare opportunity for me to pick up a few titles I've wanted for a while (for more reasonable prices).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Dan McW said:
LOLLY MADONNA XXX and THE MOONSHINE WAR are among the new releases this week:

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?nType=1
Many thanks. I'm very pleased about The Moonshine War which I like a lot. It has a good basic story - not very original but it is Elmore Leonard - plus some favorite actors: Richard Widmark, Patrick McGoohan and Melodie Johnson. Melodie Johnson is remembered mostly for playing the buxom girl Clint Eastwood dallied with at the beginning of Coogan's Bluff. In The Moonshine War she plays a completely different character . . . . and she looks completely different too.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I've always wanted to see Moonshine, a movie that seems to have escaped TCM. And Nasty Habits, ditto; not sure that's been seen much since HBO circa 1982.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Wow! Check out the new titles included in Pre-Order! THE MAN WHO PLAYED GOD, THE DESERT SONG (1944), THE DESERT SONG (1953) plus another Marion Davies and a Billie Dove. I'm afraid I'm in for ALL of those.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Looking forward to Nasty Habits, but that's a movie that didn't age well. If you're not familiar with the details of Watergate, then the spoof is lost on you.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
PODER said:
Wow! Check out the new titles included in Pre-Order! THE MAN WHO PLAYED GOD, THE DESERT SONG (1944), THE DESERT SONG (1953) plus another Marion Davies and a Billie Dove. I'm afraid I'm in for ALL of those.
Yes, great news! I'm hoping the 1929 version of The Desert Song is released the same day (9.9.14) as the other two versions. Possibly the artwork hasn't been completed yet?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'll finally get to see the '44 version of The Desert Song. I've seen the '29 in 35mm; unfortunately, although shot in color, only the b&w elements remain. It has an early, indelible performance from Myrna Loy: (Where's Pierre?, she growls). The last version has Gordon McRae singing gloriously, but it also has the other lead, and I can't stand her singing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
bujaki said:
I'll finally get to see the '44 version of The Desert Song. I've seen the '29 in 35mm; unfortunately, although shot in color, only the b&w elements remain. It has an early, indelible performance from Myrna Loy: (Where's Pierre?, she growls). The last version has Gordon McRae singing gloriously, but it also has the other lead, and I can't stand her singing.
Kathryn Grayson? Say it ain't so! :)

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
JoelA said:
Yes, great news! I'm hoping the 1929 version of The Desert Song is released the same day (9.9.14) as the other two versions. Possibly the artwork hasn't been completed yet?
Put me down for the 1929 version (and the '44). The 1929 version is closest to the original work-- it's very silly but great fun. I hope it's still on the agenda!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks