What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION, Volume 10, is listed at Movies Unlimited, Importcds, and DeepDiscount as releasing, October 15, 2019. Nine more Johnny Mack Brown western features.
3725717-2479354.jpg

The listings mark this release as a "Movies Unlimited Exclusive!", so the October 15th release date might turn out to be for Movies Unlimited, only.

Volume 9 was released in 2016. I wonder if this new release might mean Tim Holt Volume 5 is still going to happen? Holt Vol. 4 came out in 2014. There are still ten Holt RKO westerns that have not been released by WAC. Three of them are Zane Grey titles, that were released by Lion's Gate years ago. That still leaves seven that WAC could release.

Too late for Father's Day, but anyway, here's Walter Huston, Tim Holt, John Huston, and Jack Holt. Backstage, at the flophouse scene, in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".
walter-huston-tim-holt-john-huston-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-F4PDG4.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION, Volume 10, is listed at Movies Unlimited, Importcds, and DeepDiscount as releasing, October 15, 2019. Nine more Johnny Mack Brown western features.
View attachment 62451

The listings mark this release as a "Movies Unlimited Exclusive!", so the October 15th release date might turn out to be for Movies Unlimited, only.

Volume 9 was released in 2016. I wonder if this new release might mean Tim Holt Volume 5 is still going to happen? Holt Vol. 4 came out in 2014. There are still ten Holt RKO westerns that have not been released by WAC. Three of them are Zane Grey titles, that were released by Lion's Gate years ago. That still leaves seven that WAC could release.

Too late for Father's Day, but anyway, here's Walter Huston, Tim Holt, John Huston, and Jack Holt. Backstage, at the flophouse scene, in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".
View attachment 62452
Tim Holt, featured in films by John Ford, Orson Welles and John Huston. What a remarkable career.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Big sloppy wet kiss to WAC for The Thin Man and Jezebel on Blu. Already getting excited for their farm out of Now Voyager to Criterion.

Okay, not the most 'professional way' to begin a dialogue, I'll admit, but I'm singing their praises here. Bravo! Kudos! Love yah!

Requests? Plenty! For kick starters - would love to see a Blu of High Society, Marie Antoinette, Romeo and Juliet, Maytime, and Bathing Beauty, That Midnight Kiss, The Toast of New Orleans, Holiday in Mexico, Show Boat, The Student Prince.

More Garland would be nice. Definitely more Rooney, Gable, Flynn and Davis too. Favs? For Me and My Gal, The Harvey Girls, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Boy's Town, National Velvet, Red Dust, San Francisco, China Seas, Test Pilot, Idiot's Delight, Captain Blood, The Charge of the Light Brigade, Gentleman Jim, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Old Acquaintance, All This and Heaven Too, In This Our Life, The Star.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Looking for information on Wonder Woman (1974) -- the Crosby TV Movie released 2012. Someone asked me if this had ever been available as a pressed DVD or if it was always DVD-R (and still). Amazon doesn't specifically list it as a DVD-R like it does most WAC DVDs (or did at one point) but I thought all their WAC DVD items were burned or at least were during most of the early years.

I was out of DVD before WAC before a division so other than occasionally scanning the threads, I'm a bit lost

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
WONDER WOMAN-1974 was always DVD-R only. Amazon does not seem to be listing even older DVD-R items we know they burned, themselves, as being DVD-R, anymore. Like Amazon CBS Entertainment Mod exclusives, and out of print DVD titles from The Garr Group, like SEA HUNT. DVD-R titles Amazon purchased directly from other distributors were never listed as being DVD-R at Amazon.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
WONDER WOMAN-1974 was always DVD-R only. Amazon does not seem to be listing even older DVD-R items we know they burned, themselves, as being DVD-R, anymore. Like Amazon CBS Entertainment Mod exclusives, and out of print DVD titles from The Garr Group, like SEA HUNT. DVD-R titles Amazon purchased directly from other distributors were never listed as being DVD-R at Amazon.

Thank you. I'll pass it on.

I was fairly sure it was DVD-R, but these WAC DVD have always confused me trying to figure out the format

Last edited:
Real Name
William D. Ferry
Thank you. I'll pass it on.

I was fairly sure it was DVD-R, but these WAC DVD have always confused me trying to figure out the format

IIRC, I think the general rule of thumb is, most WAC DVD titles are DVD-R. BluRay titles are usually "traditionally pressed" (I'm sorry, I don't know what the technical term is - what I mean is, they're manufactured just like the BluRays you'd buy in Walmart, Costco, etc.). Some WAC DVDs (usually tv series) MAY be "Traditionally pressed", but there was usually an announcement on the WAC website to this effect when the title was first introduced.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, I think the general rule of thumb is, most WAC DVD titles are DVD-R. BluRay titles are usually "traditionally pressed" (I'm sorry, I don't know what the technical term is - what I mean is, they're manufactured just like the BluRays you'd buy in Walmart, Costco, etc.). Some WAC DVDs (usually tv series) MAY be "Traditionally pressed", but there was usually an announcement on the WAC website to this effect when the title was first introduced.

The BD are easy. 100% Pressed -- designation always worked for me to distinguish from Burned

My assumption has been to assume all the DVD are burned and esp the Amazon versions, but the change from specifically screaming DVDR in the listings confused me.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Looks like the Warner Archive have re-released the now out of print TCM Archives Lon Chaney Collection. Unfortunately, based on the specs at the WB Shop, it looks like they've dropped the wonderful Kevin Brownlow feature length documentary LON CHANEY: A THOUSAND FACES. Can anyone confirm that this is true? I wanted to pick up a copy from someone who is very interested in having the documentary, but it looks like no joy on this reissue.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Looks like the Warner Archive have re-released the now out of print TCM Archives Lon Chaney Collection. Unfortunately, based on the specs at the WB Shop, it looks like they've dropped the wonderful Kevin Brownlow feature length documentary LON CHANEY: A THOUSAND FACES. Can anyone confirm that this is true? I wanted to pick up a copy from someone who is very interested in having the documentary, but it looks like no joy on this reissue.

Sadly, I've confirmed it myself.....the documentary isn't included on the DVD-R set.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I somehow missed that the two film adaptations of Kind Lady had been released on DVD as a double feature two years ago.

Is the 1951 version an upgrade over the master that TCM airs?

61N7zEGkmOL._SL1000_.jpg

I missed DVD release also and have rectified that situation. In High School I saw the 1951 version on a local TV station and enjoyed this charming movie.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
View attachment 62451

View attachment 62452

Has this been released? I can’t find it on the WAC or Amazon website.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
As I mentioned in my original post, "The Monogram Cowboy Collection Vol. 10" is a Movies Unlimited exclusive. The listings for Vol 10 have been removed from DeepDiscount and Importcds.

It has been a long time since I have noticed WAC giving an exclusive to a specific retailer. I wonder how much longer the title will be exclusive to MU?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
As I mentioned in my original post, "The Monogram Cowboy Collection Vol. 10" is a Movies Unlimited exclusive. The listings for Vol 10 have been removed from DeepDiscount and Importcds.

It has been a long time since I have noticed WAC giving an exclusive to a specific retailer. I wonder how much longer the title will be exclusive to MU?

Thanks, I just ordered it from Movies Unlimited. You did clearly state that it was an exclusive, it just didn’t register. .

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
According to the latest Warner Archive podcast, Take the High Ground! is being presented on DVD with its original stereo soundtrack for the first time since its original theatrical release.

No reviews anywhere. It was on TCMHD and looked pretty good with 1.66 AR and stereophonic sound.

1t.jpg

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
When is WA going to release 'Stand and Deliver'?

I've been waiting many years patiently for this title. One of the best films of the 80's!

Last edited:
  • Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks